“I cant believe they are open for business! Its that bad...”

Costa Dorada Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“I cant believe they are open for business! Its that bad...”
Reviewed November 2, 2010

This motel named resort was on the list of the accomodations from the PR Tourist company, during the RIP CURL WORD SURFING TOUR going from Oct 30 to Nov 10.
It is a SHAME they recomended this motel it really gives a bad name to PR, and here is why:

* Check in they insist on you wearing this stupid paper wrist band
* the place looked as a gost town, only a couple of cars in the prkg lot, i guess the word has gone out, not to us unfortunately..
* 1960 style, we booked a studio for 135$, and when we walked in the smell of mildew was overwhelming! would have give asthma to the kids.
* got moved to one of their hotel rooms, smell was better but very old deco, shower in plastic, cracked everywhere and repaired with glue, white used old towels that looked grey.
* A/C in wall was blowing directly in your face when you were in bed, had to move the bed.
* they refused to refund the difference between the studio originally booked at 135$ and the rate of the smaller rooms at 113$.

Old, dirty, awfull smell, the tourist board and health department shout SHUT THEM DOWN!
We run away from that place at 9am the next morning....

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank fabjet1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Linden, New Jersey
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Saw the room and left, lost our $$ but thats was better than spending the night in this place!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cmor1025
Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This hotel should be shut down and given an overall fix-up !! I don't understand how they advertise themselves ! Rooms are filthy, smell bad, rooms infested with insects (even on and in the mattresses and pillows, no security on the doors, no communication (telephone or celphones), furniture in general are old, beds and mattresses are un-sleepable, and in general, just plain old terrible. I will never stay there again and definitely won't recommend to anyone. It was a really bad experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank aygarcia
Cabo Rojo
Reviewed June 2, 2010

No water the first night, no hot water at all, ice maker machine damage, aparently years ago, snack machine with out of date, sept 09 to be exactly, it was raining and room began to came water by the entrance and balcony, a lot of peaple arguing with front desk, three channel tv, only one with perfect signal, the restaurant was empty so i can not qualify the food, but if empty I can imagine why. All around completely neglected. I just ask to from desk why, and she told me, that a change in administration make a lot of changes, a sorrow for this once upon a time paradise. Some local agency need to make action, this condition is not aceptable, thats simple. Forget about internet or remote controls.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JaviTCO
usa
Reviewed April 7, 2010

I was booked in this hotel through my company. Checking in, the lobby had no a/c and I was bitten 8 times while checking in. By colleague got bug bites in his room. There is no cell phone service beyond the hotel lobby. The phones in the room didn't work. The internet didn't work in the rooms and the TV didn't work. No communication to the outside world. The only working phone at the hotel was the phone at the receptionist desk. The rooms are at least a 5 minute walk to the working phone.
The rooms are disqusting. My bathtub had rust/stains, not sure what, covering the bottom of the tub. One towel literally had holes as big as a fist with yellow stains and the other towel had what appeared to be black mold on the corners on the towel. The bathroom counter still had gunk leftover from a previous guest and all the mirrors had finger and handprints on them. The walls in the room had holes in them. I never had hot water during my stay. My co-worker had standing water up to his ankles while taking a shower. This took 2/3 days to fix. Put your luggage on top of furniture, when I got up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, a long centipide/worm type animal was crawling across the floor. This was the first but not last.
The kitchenette should be condemned. The applicances, dishes, counter, etc were filthy!
When I was moved to another room, the back door next to my bed didn't lock and the receptionist didn't think it was a big deal and it could wait til morning. She stated she didn't want to disturb the manager. As a single traveling person, this is the wrong answer. The window glass slates didn't shut either. No landscaping appeared to have occurred in years. There isn't much cleaning that gets done in the rooms either.
The bottom sheet of my bed was torn and the top sheet had stains.
There was no customer service to speak of. I could go on but I think you get the picture of how truly horrible this hotel is. Do not stay here if you can avoid it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank keeptraveling01
pa
Reviewed March 29, 2010

its was dirty! was so dissapointed. kitchen pots and utensils awful! smelled molded from leaky faucets. curtains,furniture,and even dish cloth needed to be replaced. tried three coke machines, not worked and were rusty. I felt like buying bleach to clean the place.never used pool,was afraid too! was given one price over phonefor four people,then on arrival, charged for extra persons. this place gives P.R. a bad name. the island over was beutiful and I plan to visit again , but wont stay here! by the way ,my brather inlaw was shocked trying to use coffee maker, which looked terrible, microwave didnt work, ants in feasted on us while we tried to cook and eat our meal.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank PaNates
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We recently stayed at the Costa Dorada on a family vacation to Puerto Rico. I was underwhelmed at the drive to get to the "resort". You have to go through the town of Isabela, which is a slum at best with tiny one way streets that constantly make you think you are going to crash into something. For the resort itself, we got there at "low season". The place was deserted. At the "villas" that we were "upgraded" to, there were 4 other cars out of 72 possible units, and noone was in the main hotel. The place looked like a ghost town. We were struck by what my wife and I thought was a tremendous amount of potential with the place. 2 private pools, poolside restaurant, right on the beach, coconut trees covered the property. The staff at the place was very nice and courteous. However, the room we were in was horrid. The beds were old and worn out and hurt my back. The place had a funny smell and was infested with gnats. Lastly, they made us were these stupid paper armbands for 2 days that would cost us $25.00 apiece if we lost! When I asked what they were for, they told us it was for pool use. Forgive me for being blunt, but your staff can't track 4 families of guests using the pool? This place would take some work to earn the title of resort. For the money I paid, I was expecting alot more.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank slafrance3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
#1 of 2 in Aguada
Hotel El Guajataca
Hotel El Guajataca
#1 of 2 in Quebradillas

Been to Costa Dorada Beach Resort? Share your experiences!