“This place was great!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
altlanta GA
“This place was great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

I am really surprised by the negative reviews of this hotel, and sorry that I let myself be influenced by them. We booked two nights here and I wished I had booked three instead.

Please note that this in NOT an all-inclusive, Isla Verde type resort but a small, family owned place with a series of cabanas and villas. If you are looking for an all inclusive you will be unhappy.

If, however, you are looking for a peaceful, gorgeous locations with a laid back air, this is it. We loved it. We booked to late to get a stand alone cabana and wound up in one of the villas, but it was still darn near perfect. Very clean, one bedroom and a separate sitting room/kitchen (kitchen fully supplied except for paper towels), a patio with a barbeque and an amazing view of the ocean, literally steps from the lagoon beach. Two little stores in the town of Jobos where you can get small neccessities, or a bigger town (Isabella) 10minutes further away.

We arrived after dark and got lost, of course, (note to self - next time pony up for the gps) and my boyfriend called the hotel and the woman at the desk, who spoke limited English, took the time to find another employee who was bilingual. This second person, Angela, stayed on the phone with us for 15 minutes guiding us into the hotel, as it is really quite secluded. We walked briefly on the beach and went to bed, lulled by the crashing waves.

We woke up in the morning sunrise on the beautiful lagoon, and the rest of our trip was perfect. The only thing I cannot endorse is the on-site restaurant, because we did not eat there, choosing to take advantage of the bbq on our patio instead.

We are already joking that the Vills del Mar is our "second home, at the beach" and cannot wait to go again. I highly reccomend it.

BTW this is a good location if you are going to the Caves or the observatory, but plan on 40minutes to get there, as you are on country roads for part of the way.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank t_Atlanta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2009

This place was a complete scam ! We picked this place because the pictures online looked beautiful. Let me tell you - they had a great photographer ! We were there for my sisters wedding. The rooms were terriable ! When we checked in after a late night of travel we were very disappointed. The room was very small with 2 standard beds that they tried to pass off as queen beds. When making the reservation I had asked for a pull out because we were sharing the room - three people. Of course there was no pull out when we got there and they acted like I was crazy. I threw a complete hissy fit on the people there. I was charged almost 200.00 a night for a complete crap hole. The curtains in the bedroom had mold on them, the room smelled musty, and it was dirty. We ended up changing rooms to a "2 bedroom cabin". It was not ocean front like we had reserved. Because it was really late and I was tired of arguing we stayed one night in this room and then in the morning changed rooms again. This place had windows that would not close, the bathroom widow had no screen in it to keep the bugs out, and there was a huge human hair ball hanging from the window in the shower. It was dirty ! The 3rd room we stayed in was a little better, most of the windows closed but it was still dirty. There were ants coming out of the molding around the sink and counter also. The only way to stop them was to shove bleach wipes in the cracks around the whole counter. As far as a "kitchen - ha - There was a stove that looked like it was from the 60"s. No microwave and the refrigerator barely kept things cold. My whole family got the shaft on their rooms. I did not go barefoot in any of the rooms. I had to wear my flip flops in the shower ! There was no hot water in any of the sinks or shower in any room. Not even in the rest room in the restraunt. My sister had already made the wedding plans here so I had to settle and stay. If I was alone, I would have left on day one. The wedding planner was ok - but let me tell you they try to charge you for every little thing...if you don't watch they switch and change things at last minute and hope you don't notice. I think the planner could have been more helpful. The wedding itself turned out beautiful. The beach was just ok - it was crushed shells to the left and sand to the right. We walked to the lava rocks and it was rough on the course sand. It was really beautiful. On our way back we found small 1" ziplock baggies and a couple of used syringes on the beach ! I was terrified we would get a needle stick. I also want to say if you are an animal lover this place will break your heart. There are starving cats and dogs all over the grounds. It is heart breaking - it really upset me. I made sure I fed any scraps I had to the dogs. The dogs were hurt ,diseased, and dirty. The cats had bad eyes and were really dirty too. I wanted to cry everytime I saw one. I would have liked to help them all. I did see a stray cat licking out of the "creamer" on one of the tables in the restraunt. The waitress shooed it away and left the creamer ! It was drinking it and she left it !! She was one of the really rude waitresses at the resort dining area. The dining was an not exactly the greatest either. The food was good but the service was terriable. It took 2-3 hours to get a meal and there were hardly any people in the place. I don't like to spend that much time eating when I am on vaction. This was the absolute worst place to stay. I think they have one or two good rooms that they used for the photo shoot and the rest are crap! I guess we were not lucky enought to get the nice rooms! I would never stay here again. It was not worth the money. If I wanted a cabin I would have stayed in Michigan.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank cabMichigan
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

the location was something out of a dream just beautiful. you have a choice of small to midsize cottage style places which are right on the beach or rooms in a villa your more traditional hotel room. We were in a cottage on the beach, everyone was very friendly and helpful. Everything was very close by (only 15 min. to get to airport ,walmart, supermarket.and the local shops). We really enjoyed the local surfer type bars (Happy bellies and Don Carlos) they both had a great view and very good food.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Midwest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2009

I spent 6 nights at VDMH. We had 3 cabins spaced out along the beach. The beach is very nice, great for finding shells or playing in the waves. The cabin has a nice porch looking over the water and grills on the side of the cabin. Nothing fancy. These are not luxury cabins, but we were not looking for luxury.

We were right next to the main office which turned out to be a bad thing. One morning, early, there were some employees on the porch talking very loudly, just a few feet from our window, another night it was someone revving a car engine that had no muffler for a long time, the next night it was a motorcycle. Add this to the fact that we had 2 people on a postage stamp sized bed. I didn't sleep well there. Avoid Cabin 18. The employees hang out right next to it all night.

We rented a cabin with a kitchen and when we got there we found no utensils. At the main desk we were told we had to rent pots/pans etc. Eventually, we got it for free, but I don't usually travel with pots and pans. Then I went to pick up a paper at the main desk. I was told I had to pay 45 cents. I'm paying over $200/night for a non-luxury cabin and you are going to charge me for a paper?!? Come on.

On the other hand, my parents were in a smaller room by the restaurant and loved it. My mom said she slept much better than at home.

This was my second trip to PR. The first we stayed at Luquillo Sunrise Inn (in Luquillo). The level of service at Luquillo was so much higher, the rooms nicer.

If you decide to stay here, do not travel thru Isabela to get there. It is a difficult town to get around, esp at night. Approach VDMH from the east. Much easier.

Stayed January 2009
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2008

This hotel is on a unique beach setting, with part of it fully exposed to the surf and part sheltered by the enormous rock. That makes it great for families with small kids, or anyone looking for variety. We had a spartan but clean cottage with two small bedrooms and a full kitchen. Sitting steps from a lovely beach, the simple nature of the cottage didn't bother me a bit.
The restaurant is very good, though after a few days you'll run through most of the best items. The pool is nothing special for a resort, more like someone's backyard pool.
Two things I found on the negative side. One, we didn't find a hell of a lot to do on this part of the island within easy striking range. There's a nice nature reserve with horeback riding a few miles away. And in Aguadilla there is a fun city beach called Crashboat beach where teens and families like to hang out and venders sell food and drink creating a kind of fun buzz. But other than these there wasn't a whole lot. Rincon, about an hour and a half a way seemed to have more happening.
The second thing is a cutural thing. This resort is reasonably priced to the point where about half the clients are locals, who sometimes favor after-dinner animated discussions about politics, sports, the future of the world and anything else, lasting until 11 or later. so. if your are hoping to hear nothing but the sound of the surf you may be disappointed.

Stayed December 2008
Georgetown, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2008

Last December American Airlines had a $250 Austin/San Juan round trip special that we couldn't pass up and pushed the "Buy" button! I mentioned the cheap airfare and our friends (other retirees) said "we're in". With a little research we decided to circumnavigate the island staying at paradors and sample the fine Porto Rican food and the rums. What a great idea! I booked our rooms directly over the phone at $125+tax/room/night. We were assigned adjacent two bedroom cottages with full kitchen utensils. The location is great and the sound of the surf crashing right outside your door is worth the lack of luxury accommodations. The cottages were clean and with somewhat dated furniture; but this is a beach cottage, so no big deal. We didn't have time to stay more than one night, but all in our party plan on coming back and staying for a week with fishing tackle. Being the first week in December, we had the restaurant to ourselves. The food was fantastic and the young chef is quiet talented. Don't miss Happy Belly's Bar around the point where the surfer are.

• Liked — Proximity to the Beach
  • Disliked — Lack of friendliness of staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2008

Stayed there for 3 nights..waste of cash... Nice setup next to the beach, but rooms are in decaying conditions... One night was greeted by 6 or 7 roaches on and around our bed..had to move rooms at 1am... new rooms was better kept but i left with what i beleive are over a hundred or more bed bug bites all over my legs...also make sure you know whats included with your rooms because once there you will be charged 30 to 40 dollars per stay for a fridge, coffee maker, stove..etc... and that charge is per item.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank JAMTravelMan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Royal Isabela
Hotel El Guajataca
Hotel El Guajataca
#1 of 2 in Quebradillas
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel

Been to Parador Villas del Mar Hau? Share your experiences!