“Amazing, Romantic and cannot fault this hotel one bit!!!”

Villa Montana Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Reviewed February 7, 2011

This is one of the few places that I feel really at home with everything just PERFECT! Fabolous location, wonderful staff and great rooms.
It is a wonderful hide away for a perfect romantic stay with everything one could ever ask for. Ok, I am not saying that it is super luxurious, but we didn´t pay luxury prices, so all in all for the money we paid for 5 nights I can only praise everything they offer. As far as a more romantic place? if you know of one, please send me a message because I have never been to a place where I have been be able to share quality time with my loved one and really relax as much as I have here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rose0055

Reviewed January 19, 2011

Restaurant/bar great, friedly staff; but outdated/old/poor condition rooms. Pictures on web site are very mis leading. We saw 3 rooms till we gave up and bit the bullet (and paid an upgrade cost) on the last room. The property is very beautiful, but the accommodations are not. The staff does the best w/what they have. This is not the stay we were expecting.

• Stayed: December 2010
3  Thank KDGS
Reviewed December 30, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Villa Montana, and loved the layout of the resort in small separate "bungalows" which included several guest rooms each. Our room had a nice balcony overlooking the resort, which featured tennis courts, two pools, and a wonderful restaurant (try the seafood Mofongo and Shrimp Lemongrass soup!). The chef is top-notch and was recognized as the top chef in the Caribbean in 2009. The highlight of the resort is a stunning beach, which is very picturesque and not crowded at all. Also, they had an adorable parrot who tells guests "hello!" and climbs right over to meet you in his cage:)

The resort is in the NW of Puerto Rico, which is known as a prime area for both regular and wind-surfing (Isabela hosted the 2010 World Surfing Championships), but is also supposed to be nice for snorkeling and scuba diving when waters are calmer (the waves were quite strong when we were there in December). It is in a fairly remote area, so it is best for visitors looking for a quiet, romantic experience. If you want a lively night scene, you're better off staying in San Juan or a larger resort.

The only negative experience we had during our stay was our first guest room, which had hot water problems. However, the resort addressed our complaint by transferring us to a new room that evening. Overall, a wonderful resort which we highly recommend!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelGuru1000
Reviewed December 17, 2010

"My wife, two daughters, 9 and 7, and I just returned from our stay in Villa Montana and have nothing but great things to say. We had stayed 2 days in San Juan and drove the trek to the northwest. The drive from San Juan was very easy and took about 90 minutes. The pictures don't do it justice. The villa was clean, beautiful and had everything we needed. My daughters slept in the pull out couch. The kitchen had everything we needed although we needed to buy simple things such as condiments, salt and pepper, etc since their were no stock food items, which is understandable. The place is supplied with two snorkel sets in good condition, a beach cooler, clean sheets and towels. The washer and dryer was convenient. The only drawback was I could not hook up to the wireless internet, hey who needs to be connected when you should be relaxing, right?

Villa Montana itself was beautiful, easy-paced, and friendly. The kid's playground was nice. The two pools are beautiful and the restaurant, The Eclipse, had delicious food as we ate there two nights. The service is a bit relaxed, island pace, but attentive. The location to the beach was an easy walk from our villa.

The surf was up a bit and made snorkeling a bit difficult with a bit of wavy water and a slight current. Late spring and summer are best when the water is calmer. The beach is rocky in spots and was difficult for swimming for the kids with the waves and rocks. Down the beach to the east, right, had more protected swimming and snorkeling areas past Villa Tropical. The beach has extremely comfortable beach chairs with umbrellas, great for lounging. I used my stand up paddle (SUP) board to paddle around and surf about 100 yards off at Shack's Beach. We walked the deserted beaches both ways for a mile or two to explore and just to be at ease.

We did two stints with the family at Tropical Trail Rides, which is right next door. The guides were friendly and the horse are well taken care of. Our daughters, who have only had a few riding lessons, had no problems with their horses. Everyone was so helpful and friendly.

We had quick and easy access to the grocery store and restaurants a few minutes up the road. We took excursions to Crash Boat beach. I also did two excursions to Wilderness to surf with Jose from Aquatica Dive and Surf. He was more than accommodating and helpful with my SUP rentals.

This place is great for both the active and for those who just want to relax. We plan on coming back next year.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Newb0mb
Reviewed December 14, 2010

The trip was San Juan was 2 1/2 hrs not 90 mins and the signs for the resort were very hard to see in the dark. When we finally arrived they couldn't find our reservation; luckily, we had all of our documents from the travel agency. Instead of a cliffside room we were 'upgraded' to a room closer to the beach. If this was an upgrade I would have hated to see the orginial room. This room was very small! We had to ask 3 times during our 7 day stay for an additional washcloth and hand towel - they would only leave 1 of each. On Thanksgiving night we were awaken by the people next door talking loudly and slamming things in a sink. Calling the front desk only received voicemail. The next morning was awaken by someone blowing their nose and coughing. The rooms are not very well insulated.
The service at the Eclipse was very slow for the evening meal even though there was only a couple of other tables occupied. Food wasn't good and felt it was overpriced. Breakfast was very good and Nicole was very pleasant! Found a very friendly resturant closer to town and the food was great!
With the resort being close to an airport it was very noisy and seemed to be more during the evening and late evening. I live close to an airport with a National Guard base, but there was a couple of times at thought a plane would be coming through our room.
The beach was a disappoint since they recommended not to swim and it was rocky. We'll return to Puerto Rico, but not this resort.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank islandshoppers
Reviewed November 23, 2010

when i arrived (at 3 am mind you) things did not get off to a good start. i had booked a deluxe room, what i was given was keys to god knows what - who knows because they didn't open my room... the room i was given was closer to a broom closet, with a 13" tv, and cold shower. Needless to say at close to 200$ a night i was not thrilled. with my fiancée flying in the next night i demanded a change (which took them about 3 hours to accommodate)... All the people who work at the restaurant are fabulous the food was fantastic, a high point! The second room was leaps and bounds above the first, getting happier. I do contract work for HP so this was not my first time to come to aguadilla so it was fun showing my significant other around and enjoying the area - its one of my favorites. She loved the quaint, quiet, and not busy part of the resort. You can also bring your own beverages i.e. (fine wine / champagne) for dinner at no charge - a plus. the pool is small but adequate as you will probably be the only one swimming. it was just so peaceful and beautiful it started to make me forget about all the trouble i had the first night.

The staff seems lackadaisical but friendly, we wanted a couples massage i had to call numerous times as they never called back like they said, contrary to the website they do not have a spa, just a person who will come give massages.

If you want to relax, and can overlook the shortcomings, this place is great, i left feeling fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2010

This was our 3rd stay in Villa Montana and we´ll be back in 2011 again. This hotel runs like a clock and the staff are a real asset but the best thing they have to offer is the location; away from the madness of this world and a place to wind down. Rooms are very clean and always smell nice and fresh and the food is better than many michelin star restaurants we have been to.
We cannot fault this hotel one bit and we just adore it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kkennedyy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Royal Isabela
Casa Verde Hotel
Casa Verde Hotel
#3 of 7 in Rincon
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!