“Villa Montana is Awesome”

Villa Montana Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
kuiarra
“Villa Montana is Awesome”
Reviewed May 22, 2007

We just came back from celebrating our wedding in Villa Montana on 5/19. Let me tell you that they did an exceptional and outstanding job. They catered to us and our guests need as best as humanly possible. The staff went above and beyond to make sure that we were happy. I recommend anyone who wants to marry in PR to go there. If you are looking for laid back and quiet this is your place. Alot of people dont seem to understand that the part of the island that Villa
Montana is located at is known for surfing, that is why the beach is rough, this is not Villa Montana's fault. Nature plays a hand in it entirely. Both restuarants are awesome Eclipse and O, I have read negative comments on them and let me start by saying that this is not
the United States Mainland where everything is done quick, even in New York we see negatives. Villa Montana runs on a limited staff and is working at its best to make sure that everyone has there orders. I personally believe that with time they will be above exceptional. Most people should stop comparing Villa Montana with bigger hotels, it is not it is a remote place to spend quiet time and relax. Our wedding was held on the beach and it was marvelous. Lizbeth the coordinator went above and beyond and she deserves praise and admiration, it is not an easy job dealing with brides aboard, I am one of them. I am extremely great ful to her and Shakira from Front Desk who showed us what a real employee- guest relationship is. We loved them both and can not wait to go back. The rooms were great. We had our moments, but it happens with any hotel even the most expensive bigger name kinds, and I can tell you a thing about those hotels, and in all honesty put Villa Montana at the very top of the best list. They have a beautiful beach, if it is too rocky for you to swim, take a walk and you will end up at the Blue Hole, a spectacular snorkeling spot just a few steps from V.M. we spent hours
there. V.M.'s pools are awesome our son loved it. Again I say Villa Montana and there staff, especially LIZBETH and SHAKIRA are awesome. And we cant wait to see them all again, I hope they dont mind me keeping in touch with them at Villa Montana, they are great workers as well as great friends. And we will miss them dearly now that we are back in NYC.

• Liked — Spacious and clean, housekeeping came in everyday to clean up
  • Disliked — ask me indiviually
  • Stayed May 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Turkish first
Isabela, PR
Reviewed April 26, 2007

I have lived here in the beautiful resort now for about 9 months. Let me start off saying that this place is paradise. It is located on
the west coast of the island which is beautiful and perfect for relaxing under the sun. Not to mention it is located on Shacks Beach,
known as one of PR's most beautiful beaches, with awesome coral reefs, and beautiful fish.

The resort has two wonderful restaurants, each with completely different styles, each excellent in their own way. The employees are wonderful people and very kind people. The beach on which Villa Montana is located is very beautiful. One is able to walk as far as they can before they reach the end!

The west coast of Puerto Rico is completely different than any other place I've ever visited in my life. It is sooo relaxing. Back at home, I was always going every which way, but the lifestyle here has slowed my life down and is is great!

The last thing I want to talk about is the grounds. This part of the resort is awe inspiring. The beautiful landscape, the path's to get around, the restaurant, and everything else. I could go on and on about the beauty within Villa Montana Beach Resort. They have two pools, tennis courts, a spa, and of course the beach, the bestr part of PR.

This excellent resort is the perfect getaway for those looking to have a great time experiencing the west coast of Puerto Rico. I definetly recommend coming down here for a vacation. If you come in with the right attitude, this place will exceed all expectaions you have for it. It is truly a masterpiece hidden on the coast of tiny PR, come visit, its simply amazing.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
nyc
Reviewed April 16, 2007

My husband and I recently returned from our second trip (in a 3 month time frame) at Villa Montana. Once again, we had an amazing experience at the resort. The resort is very remote and peaceful. We live in New York City, so remote and tranquil was exactly what we were looking for. The resort has beautiful grounds and beaches. The resort also has a friendly staff. At the same time, if you do get anxious and want a little night life, San Juan is a two hour car ride away. We did go to San Juan one night for dinner and gambling.

Although there is not a lot to do outside the resort, the resort does offer an array of activities to engage in. Horseback riding (morning and afternoon rides) scuba, bikes, tennis and two pools to swim in. It is nice to know there are things to do – although my husband and I were very content running on the beach in the morning – and then relaxing on the beach for the remainder of the day.

The staff is very nice and accommodating. However, I do agree with other reviews that requests are often met at a slow pace. We did order a menu from the front desk so we could order food from the restaurant to our room. It came two hours after our request. However, most of the staff are very friendly and did help us when we needed it.

There is one staff member in particular I need to mention – Diana Perez. Diana is one of the managers at Villa Montana and unbelievably professional, hospitable and helpful. We did have a few mix-ups during our stay. For example, one night we made a reservation (through another person at the front desk) for dinner at the Asian restaurant on the resort. When we got to the restaurant, the reservation could not be found. We were upset and explained the situation to Diana – she immediately took care of the problem, got us a table and made sure we were taken care of for the remainder of the evening. Diana helped us with a few other situations during our stay. She is extremely friendly and professional to all customers and can multi-task extremely well.

All in all, we had a great vacation. Villa Montana has a very comfortable, laid back feel to it. We will definitely be back again and we highly recommend it to others!!!!

Colleen and Shawn

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colsterNyc
MA
Reviewed April 15, 2007

I purposely waited to write this review until I calmed down a bit so I could be fair. The resort is very beautiful, but it is very disappointing.

This will be a long review, so there is the Villa Montana 101 at the end for your benefit if you’re in a hurry. But please read the whole review when you have a chance.

I read all the reviews to this resort, but still had to stay there for an event we attended there. My conversations while making my arrangements went very well and Shakira and Janet helped me make changes before I went. While we were there the owners of the resort were there to.

So 1st you need to get there. You can either take a 2 hour drive from San Juan in a rental car(250/week), Fly to Aquedilla and land at 3 am in morning($100 more to fly here), or take a cab from San Juan and pay $150each way.

Once you decide that that directions the hotel gives are poorly written and only make since once you get there you'll be better off bringing your GPS or googlemapping it. Our friends who used the hotels info all got lost. The resort uses words like "look for" but doesn't say do this or that. They also say take 110, but not whether it's east or west. It's a stressful ride so if you do drive, try to land during the day so getting there is easier.

Once you arrive at the front desk all you can smell is flowers and all you see and green grass and palms trees. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The grounds are clean like Disneyland.

The rooms, or in our case the ocean view villa, was great at first look. But the floors are sandy and there is quite a bit of wear and tear. I have pics and will post ASAP. Our phone was messed up and always lit up there was a message. When we called they said there were no messages, cleared the line but then sent all calls to voicemail with no ring so we thought there were no messages once they said they fixed it but in actuality our friends were leaving messages and we thought because they cleared the lines the light must have been just broken. We were not the only people who had their phones forwarded. Again we were here for an event and needed to communicate with other guests.

The restaurant, wow this is a nice looking place. All candlelit, hanging white linen blowing in the breeze and super comfy chairs. But get comfortable, because you’re going to be sitting for a long long time and paying high end prices from delicious SOUNDING food. Being so isolated in the west of PR, Eclipse is the only place around. O was open but it is only open on Weekends. O is swanky and indoors. It has an open air area, but not ocean view like Eclipse.
There’s plenty to choose from, but each item is pretty basic tasting no matter what the description. Service is unbearable. Lunch is a two hour ordeal for a burger. Dinner is 2+ at a table. I think another chef would be helpful. From what I hear there's only one.

Ok, so you ate, sat at the bar for another drink, and went to sleep on an average mattress. You’re a little stiff, but you smell the breakfast and are drawn to the PRican coffee. Breakfast is the best meal here; it's quick since there's less items and less customers. But as your eating you glance at the beach chairs and realize there are only 30 of them out and they all have towels on them. Yup, you read it right, even here at the sit back and relax place...you have to deal with getting up early and saving a seat that you may or may not use!!! Who needs this drama on vacation?

What to do while your here: If you read the website, you’re supposed to be prepared to relax and do beach activities. Well, the resort has a couple of snorkels and masks, and 2 2 person kayaks. Yup, that's it. No boogie boards, no surfboards, no 1 person kayaks, no jet skis, no nothing. Seeing this I went to the front desk to get info on surfing and horseback riding. The resort made my reservation for the horse riding, but messed up my friend’s reservation. The front desk never called. As for surfing, since this area of PRICO is supposed to be renowned for it's surfing, they front desk gave me a brochure to call for a lesson. They surf place doesn't visit the report, you need to visit them. So, for beach activities, you are going to be very bored. You can go for a walk, but the 3 miles of beaches they brag about is littered with everything from glass to car parts, that is of course once you get away from the wild dogs all over the place.

The event we went here for was spectacular. I'm not sure how any of the other guests got anything, since the event took up most of the restaurant and bar, but if it was me as a guest not at the event I would have been making arrangements at another location because there is no way Villa Montana can handle a 100 person event and cater to the other guests.

A few more details for you. I saw 3 hammocks not plenty like the brochure, we had two ironing boards no iron, no rooms safes, ran out of milk at our meal, room cleaning came at 5pm, mixed up our rooms keys, they resort is very buggy bring plenty of bug spray, there is 1 masseuse, we scheduled a couples massage and canceled since one person has to wait for the other one, plenty of kids in pools and beach. Not that there is a problem with that, but they are bored and always looking for their parents to occupy them.

We were so thrilled to go to this event and had a great time at the event, but Villa Montana needs more help. The owners were responsive to some of my concerns, but if they don't step it up this beautiful resort will lose all clientele to a competitor, if one even comes along in that area.

Getting there: Either a 2 hour drive from San Juan in a rental car, Fly to Aquedilla and land at 3 am in morning, or take a cab from San Juan and pay $150each way.

Rooms: The villas are cute and spacious, but dirty. The other rooms are like any other hotel room you've seen.

Beach: Rocky, so you need to be careful getting into the water near the resort. You can move down, but there’s no service, restrooms, or chairs.

Service/Food: Deathly slow. Average quality for the price.

Stayed April 2007
12 Thank medfordpoker
GM-VillaMontana, General manager at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2007
Thank you for all your valuable comments about your stay with us for a beach wedding.

First, if you choose to fly into Agaudilla, the main flight from Newark does in fact arrive at 10:30PM and, yes, other very inexpensive Jet Blue flights come in early in the morning. Like all things, there are tradeoffs in price and convenience.

We will certainly re-look at our directions. Thank you for the helpful comment.

Zaida, the head housekeeper, has the under bed areas cleaned after every stay. We'll look at what is not working with that schedule.

Yes, we do have flies. We try to keep our pesticide use on the natural side of things. There are too many fragile frogs and salamanders to hurt an then birds and parrots if we were to resort back to toxic pesticides. Sorry, that is just our view of how we need to live here where all we have is our environment.

You are quite right that, the beach front restaurant was taken over by your wedding. That is exactly why we built our second restaurant O.

Concerning beach lounges, usually 30 is 20 more than we need as everyone tends to spread out amongst the two pools and the beach. But we appreciate your thoughtful comment and will reconsider the need for more lounges.

Telephones and the Voice Message system: the software programming seems to have infrequent glitches. Our IT man is currently searching out a new solution.

Speed of food service? You are correct we are too slow on these very busy event weekends. We are certainly stretched. Chef Jeremie has four assistants and we have opened our second restaurant and kitchen to take off the evening pressure. Chef Jeremie continues to work on speed without sacrificing his devotion to fresh quality. We all work at this.

You seem to have experienced many things that gave you much pleasure. We look forward to making you happier on another occasion. I will tell Shakira and Janet that your appreciated their ability to accommodate your changes.

Jessica Tiphaine
GM, Villa Montana Beach Resort
NY
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I have just returned from the Villa Montana where I stayed in one of the villas with my teenage daughter and adult nephew. Being a Manhattan family, we have access to good food and quick service YET we could not have been more impressed with the ambience, attention to detail and general level of service provided by a very dedicated staff.

In the front of our villa was a pool with very comfortable lounge chairs and a shaded hammock. In the back there was a beautiful garden with hammocks, shaded chaises and beautiful rows of orchids, herbs and indigenous fauna. The incredible beach was a two minute walk through the beautiful grounds.

I believe that the web site is quite clear that this is not a place for casinos and wild partying. By no means does that mean that this is a boring place. We amused ourselves with good books, the beautiful views, terrific pina coladas, swinging/napping on hammocks, swimming and enjoying one another. Perhaps we felt that we did not have to be entertained every second. In the evening, we dined on delicious food at both the tapas bar and the hotel’s main restaurant.

We

• Liked — The beautiful setting and well appointed touches.
  • Disliked — In the early evening and the early morning, there were a lot of mosquitos on our patio.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank EdithWharto
Manhattan, NY
Reviewed April 4, 2007

This is the first time in my 32 yrs of life that I have taken the time to write a review. My boyfriend and my experience was so bad at this "resort" that I felt that it was my duty to write. It was so ridiculious that I almost want to call John Stossel from 20/20 and tell him about the Villa Montana "resort" as it provides perfect content for his Give Me A Break reports.

Some highlights from our trip:

Due to an average rainfall, the road to the "resort" was flooded enough that not even a SUV could get by and the front desk had no clear solution or timeframe as to when we would be able to drive through. This was our first experience of the "you are on your own" mentality at this place. This behavior would be more acceptable if Villa Montana called itself a condominium complex, not a resort it claimes to be.

Let me point out that this is after 2.5 hrs of driving over the speed limit from San Juan despite the website indicating it is a 1.5 hr drive. In summary, we had no way to get to the "resort" for hours and there is NOTHING in this area other than some manufacturing facilities (Hewlett Packard, Tyco) and a couple of very bad and overpriced restaurants with extremely depressing atmospheres making us wish we had vacationed in Secaucas, NJ.

Don't expect fresh fish or fresh produce. The restaurant at the "resort" and a seafood restaurant down the street both served frozen fish for the price of an expensive New York City restaurant. Entrees were $20-$40. There are no other food options in the area. The only place we were excited about was this little food stand outside of the resort but unfortunately it was never open....the stand guy must have taken a vacation or something.

Given the hassle we experienced, they upgraded us to a 1 bedroom villa. While the room, superficially, looked somewhat charming, the infestation of ants in both the bathroom and kitchen was annoying. Although we we were aware that these ants were harmless, it was hard to relax when our toothbrushes we were about to use or the pinapples we were excited to eat, particularly given the depressing food options, were covered in ants. We called the front desk and told them of the ants issue, and although they said they would have someone come to resolve the problem, no one came.

The beaches are not nice either. In fact, on our walk down the "3 miles of untouched beach" Villa Montana writes about on its website, we came across trash that truly amazed us. The more interesting ones included a rusted sofa bed and washer/dryer. I wish I had my camera for that walk.

I could go on and on about our bad experiences if I had the time or energy. In summary, although the landscape at the restaurant and pool are actually very pretty (this must explain why Vogue and Elle magazines did photo shoots here), there is NOTHING else appealing about this place. The place is in a romote manufacturing area, the beaches are dirty, the service is horrible, and the food options are beyond depressing. We were happy to get back to New York City and need a vacation from that trip.

• Liked — Room decor, Landscape of pool/restaurant
  • Disliked — Service, food, beaches, area
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Goldie111
Thank you for your discussion about your clearly exasperating trip to Puerto Rico and to our resort.
Your insights about your frustrations in getting to us during the course of a six hour downpour are understandable.

In the tropics, as I am sure you know rain still does happen. As we are right next to a river that comes down from the nearby mountains, that river can become too swollen during such an unremitting downpour and overflow its banks. This does happen about four times a year. Our passions down here for getting to where we want to go are slower than yours are and there is no passion on the township's part to re-channel the river and build a new raised bridge. We are not a wealthy country. Down here, rain happens and we just wait. It has been like this forever. And probably will be forever.

I understand that this is surely not the response that you want to hear or wanted to hear from Tamara as she checked you in. As you may recall, you required that she "do something for you" as a result of your inconvenience. And, as you will recall, Tamara called the assistant manager, Cynthia, who came to see how she could help you settle in. You required that she upgrade you to an oceanfront villa. She would happily have done that for you but, as you know, none were available. Your response was, as you may also recall, that you did not want to stay with us. Cynthia, of course, called the high rise Rincon Beach Resort with swim up pool bar to make a booking for you. She relayed the prices for different rooms. You did tell her then that Villa Montana would have to pay for your stay there.

Regrettably, we did not offer to pay for your stay at another resort hotel and, as you recall, you were quite agitated with Cynthia.

You did end up staying with us and left one day early.

Back to your distress that we should call ourselves a "resort".

The word "resort" can be fulfilled in many ways. We go to considerable lengths to ensure that our guests know what to expect when coming to our version of "resort". The usual definition of resort is a place where someone goes for relaxation and recreation. As you know, we offer both in abundance. If, however, one is expecting an action filled high rise with swim up pool bar, then we are definitely not that. And we say just that repeatedly to anyone and everyone. We call ourselves "a private enclave". We offer over 500 photos of rooms and grounds just so that our guests will know what and whom to expect. Perhaps that is, in fact ,why magazines do come to do photo shoots.

Many guests at our restaurants travel from all over Puerto Rico to dine with us. We regret that you did not enjoy Chef Jeremie's cuisine. And yes you are quite right that there are entrees above $20. Some below. This is surely standard pricing for any "resort" that one will experience in the islands.

Yes, we do indeed have ants n the tropics. And we have frogs, and birds and parrots. They all need each other and we need them. We do use as few pesticides as possible and we prefer to have a few ants rather than poisons. Perhaps we should make this clearer to our guests. Good point and we can work on that.

Your beach experience is regrettably typical after a torrential rain during which the stream pulls many items off its banks and dumps them on our three mile beach. As you will have noted, our landscape team is on the beach first thing after a rain, cleaning up and yes, we don't clean up all three miles of beach right away. But we do get to it over the next week. First, we deal with any trash that has landed in front of us.

I wish that I knew where the remote manufacturing area is around us - as, in fact, we sit adjacent to a national preserve. Perhaps you are referring to the plants that sit back up by the airport on the other side of the cliffs to our rear. Yes, indeed there are plants there. They are there to make use of the international airport that is 15 minutes from us behind those cliffs. Most of our guests from the New York area do, in fact, fly into that airport - Aguadilla. Then, they are just a short drive from us - unless we have a six hour torrent.

Again we thank you for your comments.

Jessica Tiphaine
GM, Villa Montana Beach Resort
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 13, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed this past Sunday & Monday at the Villa Montana. The resort looked wonderful on the website, the reviews were good, and the prices were reasonable.

Upon arriving, the resort did look beautiful. However, that's when the fun started.

The front desk was oblivious to our arrival, and carried on side conversations rather than check us in. Once settled in after a 20 minute wait (with no other guests checking in at the same time), the room was nice, and things seemed to be in order. My girlfriend enjoys sleeping with 2 pillows, so we called to request an extra pillow. We called and were assured that it would be taken care of and went off to dinner at the resort restaurant.

Don't go to the restaurant. I preface this by saying that we are two easy-to-please people. Decent food served expiditiously and some seblance of service is good enough.

Even though the restaurant was 1/2 full, we were asked if we made reservations, then asked to wait. And wait. And wait some more. After asking if we could sit anywhere (not by the water, but at any of their multiple open tables), we were seated after a 40 minute wait.

Once sat, we were ignored further at every turn by our waitress. We ordered an appetizer after a 20 minute wait, waited 30 minutes more, then asked if we'd have mussels since they're out of clams. Ok then. We took whatever food they offered at that point.

Dinner showed up roughly 45 minutes to an hour after that. In total we waited two hours just to get to the main dishes, which were nothing to write home about and superbly overpriced. Perhaps there is a cultural disconnect between what we expect from dinner service and what level of service is provided, but they should know their clientele well enough to make the appropriate adjustments. To ignore us while talking with other staff members for hours is ridiculous and insulting.

The restaurant was a waste of time and money due to their lack of service and lack of care for us.

We get back to the room, and there is no pillow to be seen. We call again, and are told that the walkie-talkies aren't working between the front desk and the bellman. I volunteer to pick it up. I'm then told that it is "on the way". An hour goes by. I call to cancel; they seem confused. I'm not asking for the world, just an extra pillow. We used a spare comforter as a makeshift one.

That night/the next morning around 4 am, my girlfriend wakes me up and spots a huge fire below our room in the trees adjacent to the tennis courts, about 200 yards max from our room. We could see it at the treelines, so this is no small fire. No fire alarm goes off in the whole complex so we knock on doors in the building to alert them. We obviously see the threat and report it to 911. Trucks show up quickly and take two hours to put it out.

Next morning, we call the front desk to see if they are ok. It turns out the housekeeping building burnt down completely. They say everything's fine, and don't even ask how we are. OK, terrific!

The beach looks nice but it is tough to go wade in the water due to rocks.

We were happy to leave on Tuesday. The Villa Montana staff topped off their non-service by not even asking how our stay was.

We did not feel like valued guests, and I doubt you will either. Avoid despite the nice scenery.

• Liked — surroundings
  • Disliked — service, restaurant, lack of good beach
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank arohm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Royal Isabela
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!