“Disappointed”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
MA
“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 26, 2008

The good: nice setting, lovely beach and great swimming, snorkeling. Good food at Eclipse Restaurant.

The not-so-good: marginal service. We arrived 1/2 hour before check-in (after 7 hours of travel) and were told that we would have to wait 90 minutes before we could drop our bags in the cottage and change. Housekeeping showed up at 5pm every day despite our requests for them to come earlier in the day. The floors in our rooms were not clean. Though our lone dinner at Eclipse was very good, it took 2 hours for our entrees to arrive and 45 minutes for dessert. 3 hours in total is a bit much. The desk staff was less than insightful when asked about suggestions for things to do off-site.

Overall, this is a lovely spot but we couldn't help but feel as if it were a bit down at the heels. It felt slightly neglected and so did we.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank vischa
HeidiDenver, Public relations at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2008
We apologize that your experience was not as you expected. At times we can, as any hotel does, have staffing challenges and we do not want to rush cleaning a room as we expect it to be in perfect condition for the next guest.
Our meals in the restaurants are hand crafted and are not often “fast”, however waiting 2 hours for an entrée if that was not your pleasure is something we regret. At times many of our guests do want a very leisurely dinner.
We hope you come back again. We have so many repeat guests and work hard for everyone to have a fabulous experience that exceeds their expectations.

Jessica Tiphane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC
Reviewed March 26, 2008

The location and the feel of this resort is quiet and relaxed, it is gated and feels safe for families with young children. What I only realised during our stay is that each villa is individually owned, and if there is something that needs fixed in your villa, they need to call the owner to get permission first. This results in a very varied standard of villas - some are owned by local families who have everything, some by investors who keep the bare minimum ammenities. With a young family I had planned to cook some meals in, I ended up borrowing pans just to cook pasta !
The website gives you the ability to order food in advance to be in your villa when you arrive - a nice touch if it actually happened - we arrived 3pm on Saturday and nothing had arrived by 9am Sunday so I cancelled the order and did it myself.
Eclipse - the restaurant on the beach is great food but really really slow service. Service is better at lunchtime if you have young kids.
Overall we had a lovely time due to location and the ability for our younger kids to enjoy themselves in a safe location, with the right villa this could be even better but Villa montana needs to decide whether it is going to offer the services of a luxury resort or not - it is pretending to but it really cant live up to it right now.

• Liked — location - close to beach and pool
  • Disliked — lack of kitchen equipment, no hot showers
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Stayed at Villa Montana for 6 days/5nites. Grand place. Ocean waves were 25 feet high which was very unusual. I was there for a Destination wedding and the staff took care of us. Were there some problems, sure. Some plumbing difficulties, etc... But nothing one couldn't live with.

The staff was friendly, mostly. All were respectful. Prices at lunch and dinner were reasonable.

Will I recommend? Absolutely.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 23, 2008

The Villa Montana resort is a lovely setting and our rooms were equally lovely. However, we had reserved (& paid for) an ocean front 3-bedroom villa & were told there weren't any. Eventually we were moved closer to the ocean, but it took LOTS of persistence and the help of the agency we used to book our reservations.

Our showers had no hot water & the kitchen was barely stocked. There were no bikes, snorkeling equipment or spa. The fitness center equipment did not work. The climbing wall didn't have all the necessary equipment. Service was always friendly and always at a leisurely pace!

On the plus side, it's clean and peaceful with amazing views.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank TLL2008
We are very surprised at the items you mentioned not working or sub-par. Our maintenance staff ensures that all the areas you mentioned are in working order and well stocked. I have made sure that everything has been checked since we have read this review and hope that you told our staff during your stay. Sometimes when we are busy much of the equipment is in use, but normally we have enough equipment to handle all our guests even during high occupancy times.

Thank you for your kind words about the cleanliness and yes, we are probably the most peaceful and relaxing place in Puerto Rico!

New Jersey
Reviewed March 22, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at Villa Montana in Aguadilla for a week in March and it was horrible. We are both avid travelers and have gone to many Caribbean destinations and this was by far the worst. The rooms were nice and the maid staff is very helpful. However, we never felt welcomed anywhere. The beach is small and you have to hunt down a chair to sit. Service at the restaurant is so slow and overpriced. I shouldn’t have to go on a Caribbean vacation and have to hunt down the bartender to get another drink, a bill or even water. The locals are disrespectful and rude. Nothing is more unattractive than sitting on a beach and seeing locals throwing beer bottles into the ocean. They take no pride in their island and they treat tourists with disgust. There is no island atmosphere here. We couldn’t wait to pack to go home. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — Atmosphere
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank corgs78
We are heartbroken to read your review as we take great pride in the number of repeat guests that visit our resort and are so pleased with the experience. I can’t be sure why you felt that our service was slow. We are very guest service oriented but we do ask our staff not to rush or overwhelm guests. Perhaps our respectfulness to our guests bordered on poor service in your opinion.

I can’t speak to what you say you experienced with the locals. We have not seen the same thing happen, and it may have been a few overly excited people having a rousing good time. For this we apologize.
Please come back again and experience what our many repeat guests find when they return time and time again: great service, peaceful atmosphere and caring staff.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed March 13, 2008

We had our wedding at Villa Montaña. I had found the place searching on the net and decided to go and check it out. I was thinking of having a simple wedding with not more that 20 guests but I wanted a beach front ceremony. As soon as I got to Villa Montaña I fell in love with the place. Melany helped me and showed me around and on that same visit I decided that I couldn't have my wedding anywhere else. My wedding ended up being a full ceremony, cocktail and reception activity with 60 people. Both Melany and Angelica where on top of the details and when I wasn't sure about something they were available through phone but better through emails which I prefer anyway. My attitude towards the whole deal was to give them enough info on what I wanted but trusting their judgment since they do weddings all the time. In the end it paid off.
The day of the wedding, Mildred (who was coordinating the activity and whom I met the day before-she is an incredible soul and super dedicated) showed me what a real professional is. She was on top of it all. She gave me better ideas for the setup, and remembered how I had said I preferred a kind of wine and the day of the wedding brought me to my room fruit, cheese and a bottle of shiraz. She checked up on me and made sure I was ok. The ceremony, the decoration, the amazing food, the beautiful cake, the great waiters and bar tenders, the beautiful place all collaborated so that we had the best day of our lives. Mildred was on top of everything but never pushed or was in our way. We had a photo station, a band, pleneros and carried on until late and we never felt rushed and I never had to worry about anything other that enjoying our day with our guest. They all went far and beyond. If people are concerned about other comments I simply say that wasn't my experience. But I have some advice. Relax, this is an island, enjoy everything, the idea is to have a great time, vacation or wedding and not rush through it all. If something is not to your liking, take a deep breath, smile and ask politely. Like in any other part of the world hotels are busy places with people working hard. Ask nicely, I assure you this will help immensely.

• Liked — How beautiful it is
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed March 12, 2008

My daughter was married March 2008 at Villa Montana
and both she and I couldn't have hoped for a better
wedding. The staff had worked to provide the setting
that she wanted (she and her fiance had traveled there
the previous April) and so there is always the uncertainty
of what the flowers, cake, bouquets , tables will look like.
Let's face it with destination weddings you are putting alot
of faith into the hotel's final choices. But, happiness prevailed and the bride was relaxed. You get to know everyone for a few days before the main event. From Grandmas to college kids, fun is had by all.
There were times when we waited a long time for food, or
the tv in a villa needed fixing but who cares? Really, It's
Puerto Rico where the pace is slower and overall the ceremony is why we are there and the hard working wedding staff does a supreme job. Mildred is the bomb!
Thank you Villa Montana for giving us memories we will
never forget.
Innqueen1

• Liked — the setting
  • Disliked — limited food service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Royal Isabela
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!