“a wonderful wedding!”

Villa Montana Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Reviewed March 12, 2008

My daughter was married March 2008 at Villa Montana
and both she and I couldn't have hoped for a better
wedding. The staff had worked to provide the setting
that she wanted (she and her fiance had traveled there
the previous April) and so there is always the uncertainty
of what the flowers, cake, bouquets , tables will look like.
Let's face it with destination weddings you are putting alot
of faith into the hotel's final choices. But, happiness prevailed and the bride was relaxed. You get to know everyone for a few days before the main event. From Grandmas to college kids, fun is had by all.
There were times when we waited a long time for food, or
the tv in a villa needed fixing but who cares? Really, It's
Puerto Rico where the pace is slower and overall the ceremony is why we are there and the hard working wedding staff does a supreme job. Mildred is the bomb!
Thank you Villa Montana for giving us memories we will
never forget.
Innqueen1

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Villa Montana Beach Resort

Reviewed March 4, 2008

We stayed just one night here, but two days on our way to other Puerto Rico destinations. Glad we stayed just one night, as the beach was very rocky, surf rough and beach not so pretty. I realize I just don't like the Atlantic for a vacation, not the hotel's fault. We booked a one bedroom suite instead of a room. WOW! We walked into a huge one bedroom apt. with a living room/dining room combination the size of my apt in NYC with a matching terrace outfitted with a gas grill and nice outdoor furniture. A full kitchen with laundry room were also there with a hotel-room sized bedroom (queen bed) and regular, combo bathtub/shower. Very nice room furnished beautifully. I felt like I'd borrowed a friend's apt. Unfortunately, the hotel had two weddings there that weekend so the restaurant was closed for dinner the night we were there. Also, glad we arrived in the daytime because the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, but only about 15 minutes from the Aguadilla airport. The town is a surfer village meant for younger folks than us - more bar scene than culinary delights. But just fine for an overnight and we were on our way to Rincon and Ponce. Very nice staff and ultra clean. Two tiny pools and tennis courts we didn't use. Right next door to a riding stables with a horse ring on the hotel's property. Decent fitness room for a hotel this small. They were definitely understaffed this weekend with all the emphasis on pleasing the wedding parties. This place is not for people with disabilities as room was two flights up and elevator broken. Seems like a condo community for PR residents of other parts of the island that use it as a weekend place and occassionally rent it out. Would be good for quiet getaway if I planned a relaxation or romantic stay. We were a family with an active teen, so it wasn't the place for us to stay more than a night or two.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
HeidiDenver, Public relations at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2008

Thank you for your comments to help us do better. We do want you to know that we have started a program with a take out menu from the Eclipse Restaurant if we have a restaurant that is closed for a wedding. Our guests will be informed about this at check in and given the take out menu. This will take care of any food and beverage needs all our guests may have.

We certainly will look at ensuring that we are overstaffed on weekends when we have weddings in the hotel so that all our guests feel welcome and well cared for.

Sometimes all beaches have rough spots depending on the weather patterns coming in. You must have been with us during one of these times. At any given time you will mostly find that our beach is pristine and has just enough wave action for some light body surfing and interesting snorkeling, and nearby there are areas for world class surfing.

Jessica Tiphane

Reviewed March 2, 2008

Our family with two teenage boys stayed one night at Villa Montana over Christmas vacation 2007. The Villa Montana is incredibly expensive, and was very disappointing in many ways. The stand-alone villa we were given turned out to be owned by someone. We learned this when we walked in are found someone had left the closets open with prescription medications and other personal affects. When I called the front desk they said just to leave them alone and that the owner was supposed to lock the closet. The Villa Montana website said there was "beach fishing", and when I asked at the front desk they looked at me with a blank stare. In general, the attitude at the front desk was rude and unhelpful - especially shocking given the prices. The restaurant service was very slow. There was a party outside on the grounds and they would not lower the music at 11 pm. At the fitness center the treadmill, bicycyle, and stairmaster were all broken. When I reported these at the front desk they were not apologetic. The bedspread on the bed was old and worn looking. My advice - drive further and go to the Copamarina Resort in the South - Fabulous.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelHungry

We sincerely apologize for the experience you had when you checked into your guest room. Yes, most of our villas are privately owned, which is the way many hotels and resorts are moving these days. I am shocked that our staff reacted that way, and have spoken with the front desk manager about the situation you described. We were told that some of our equipment at the fitness center was broken and it was fixed immediately. We do apologize for this.

Yes, Copamarina is a lovely resort, but we enjoy quite a bit of repeat business and our guests normally are very pleased with the service levels and accommodations of our resort. Our resort is probably the most secluded, intimate and relaxing resort on the island. Please come back again and experience our resort again and you will see why over 70% of our business is from happy, repeat guests.

Jessica Tiphane

Reviewed February 20, 2008

My husband, young son and I spent a week at Villa Montana and were very happy with our vacation.
We had a two bedroom garden view villa which was extremely spacious and comfortable with several balconies. The kitchen was reasonably well equipped and housekeeping cleaned the entire villa thoroughly every day. The grounds are beautiful, two pools, a great playground, tennis courts and beautiful beach. It is very relaxing and lowkey which was perfect for us. The garden view villas are less expensive than the ocean view, but still no more than a three minute walk from the beach.

The staff was unfailingly polite and pleasant. There is wireless internet access in the hotel lobby and near the restaurant.

I would be very happy to go back again.

A few critiques/drawbacks, things you should be aware of:

Although the website said that the resort was 90 minutes from the San Juan airport, it was took us two hours to drive on a Sunday afternoon. I was told it can take significantly longer on a weekday when there is traffic. If you can, I would recommend flying into the Aguadilla airport which is about 15 minutes away.

Many people appeared to have trouble checking in. Although we had reserved and paid for a two bedroom villa, we were shown to a one bedroom and told no two bedrooms were available. After some persistence on my part, they found a beautiful two bedroom for us. I witnessed several other people checking in who seemed to be having problems as well, and when we checked out early on Sunday morning, the young man at the desk couldn't figure out how to run our bill properly.

The hotel staff seemed slightly overwhelmed on the weekend when a wedding was taking place, and the more casual restaurant was closed to accomadate the wedding. We had planned to eat with our son in our villa that night, but if we had expected to eat in one of the hotel's restaurants, it would have been problematice because the nicer restaurant is not really appropriate for a four year old.

The beach at the resort is not great for kids because it is rocky and rough. If you have young kids who want to spend a lot of time in the ocean, it might not be ideal.

On balance, the positives far outweighed the negatives for this beautiful resort.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BEL123
HeidiDenver, Public Relations at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2008

Thank you for your kind words about our resort. There are few things we would like to comment on and provide some clarification.

Rocky beach:
When you say that the beach is not great for kids, alarm bells go off in our heads because we are a very family friendly resort and families with children have been coming here – and happily coming back here – for years. There is so much for children to do here, and the fact that they can roam freely to their heart’s content is one of the benefits. The beach does have some parts which are rocky, but certainly the entire beach area is not this way and in many places if you just go a little further out – where it is still shallow and safe for children – the rocks are non –existent.

Weddings, check in and restaurants
Yes, as any resort or hotel, when we are busy there can be delays checking in and in any check in process, sometimes we have to change rooms to accommodate specific requests. But as you said, our staff is polite and efficient and we strive to move this process along as quickly as we can.

Distance from airport
We always recommend flying into Aguadilla Airport, which is just 15 minutes from the resort, but in fact San Juan Airport can easily be a 90 minute drive but yes we are sure that on some days can take a bit longer.

Thank you for bringing these comments to our attention and we hope to see you back at our resort.

Reviewed February 20, 2008

The actual structure of this place was fine. The rooms were clean but the bathroom had little water pressure. Our bed was broken but was fixed the next day.

If you want anything at this resort don't ask because the staff will not accommodate you. I'm a vegetarian and asked for something to be made without meat and was told it was not possible. I asked for cheese between two pieces of bread and was told they were not sure if they could do it. I later found out they had grilled cheese on the children's menu, so they could make it.

There is supposed to be a person on the beach who provided towels. I never saw anyone doing this. We brought our room towels to the beach. This is not so bad, but when they advertise and even tell you at check in that they do this, then they should.

I picked this resort since it had two restaurants and we wouldn't have to leave the resort (we didn't rent a car). However, when we went to lunch at the resort the day after our arrival, we found out that the restaurant was closed for a wedding and the other restaurant on site was already booked. No one told us that the restaurant would be closed due to weddings and no one advised us to make a reservation at the only open restaurant.

We had to take a taxi to another restaurant in town just to eat. There is no room service or way to eat anything at the resort if there is a wedding, except for the vending machines.

The only activity to do was to go to the beach. They do provide the chairs as shown in the website, but they don't have enough for everyone. Also some of the chairs have missing cushions, so you would have to sit on the wood chair alone. I did not see or hear about any rental equipment for the ocean such as kayaks or snorkel gear.

I did not see a place to get massages nor was there any word on how to book one. I was afraid to ask since everything else I asked for they could not make happen.

The best thing we did while staying at the resort was to take a taxi 2 hours away to another town where we spent half the day snorkeling. We also made sure to eat dinner on the way back. The resort actually recommended this snorkel place and had a brochure. But they told us to make all of our own bookings including transportation.

I found out that this place is under new management. That may be why others on this site liked it so much in the past. I would not recommend going here unless you simply want to stay near the beach and don't plan to have any meals there. Or maybe it would be better if there were no weddings at the same time as your stay. So you may want to ask before you book if you will be sharing the resort with a wedding party.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LSW26

Thank you for your comments. The issues you bring up always help us know what we need to do to better serve all our guests. You really should not have to leave the resort to have a full and satisfying experience and we are sorry that our staff did not provide you with enough information to make this happen.

Weddings and restaurants:
When you say that someone should not plan to eat at our resort we are concerned because our culinary team is well known for providing excellent meals made with items from grown from our local organic garden and with fresh and wholesome ingredients prepared in creative ways.

We do many weddings at the resort and your comments bring up a point that will help us provide better service. We do have a policy of informing all guests at check in if any of our restaurants are going to be closed for a meal when they are there. This includes the fact that one restaurant is always open. For dinner, early dining at the “O” restaurant would certainly be appropriate for children. However if guests are not comfortable, we can recommend eating in your villa (we can run to the local grocery ahead of time and get you what you need), dining in one of many nearby restaurants or we do have a limited take out menu from the Eclipse Restaurant and we will begin providing this at check in as well. We try as best we can to accommodate all guest requests.

Our staff at the front desk can always solve problems for you, such as providing towels, booking massage appointments, getting extra cushions, lending you snorkel equipment and telling you where on our own beach is best to snorkel. Yes we do recommend other areas to snorkel and surf, but in no way is it difficult to snorkel right at our own beautiful beach.

I have no idea why you were told that we could not accommodate a vegetarian request because we have vegetarian items on our menu and can always prepare any meal without the meat. There must have been some confusion and for this we apologize.

We hope you come back again and thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention.

Reviewed February 17, 2008

Villa Montana Beach resort is a dream come true vacation location. We travel with our three kids and so we have to find a place where there is lots to do and where we can have a villa so that we can cook our own food and spread out. We found Villa Montana on the web because we had never been to Puerto Rico – honestly I did not think I would like it with all the night life and crowds. But Villa Montana is on the west coast, away from the crowds and easy to get to with Aguadilla Airport literally 15 minutes from the resort.

I don’t know where to start is how happy we were. The kids loved the snorkeling, swimming, horseback riding, rappelling, hiking and biking. My husband and I loved that they loved it, and of course for us we could participate in all the action or just find a hammock and relax to read a book, or walk that beautiful long stretch of deserted beach. This is one of the few resort websites that was truthful. The place was even better than it looked on line.

The restaurant can be a bit pricey for a family of 5 to eat in every night, but we did eat there because the food was so good and one of the restaurants was right on the beach. We could not resist. But most of the time time we cooked in our villa, ate on the patio and felt like kings.

We are going back and telling all our friends. This place is secluded, relaxing, fun and has very nice people that work there. What a perfect vacation

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2008

My wife & I recently returned from the Villa Montana - we stayed there from February 8 – February 11, 2008. We went for a destination wedding.

ARRIVAL:
We flew into BQN (Aguadilla) not San Juan. I would highly recommend you do that as well. Friends who flew into San Juan had to rent a car and take a 1.5-2 hour ride from San Juan to the resort. We did have to fly out of a less convenient airport to fly into BQN, but it was well worth it! Check in was fairly easy and they drove use to our room on a little golf cart.

ROOM:
We had a Garden View room. It was small. There was a small TV and a bed. Maneuvering around with 2 people was frustrating at times...The closet was ok and there was an empty mini-fridge in the room for us to use...but the room was disappointing.

GROUNDS:
- The grounds were ok.
- There is a decent gym available
- There were 2 restaurants
---1) Eclipse - a breakfast/lunch/dinner type place. Overpriced but decent food. Be warned that a meal will take anywhere from an hour to 3 hours - they are SLOW...
It overlooks the ocean - so it is a nice view - but a nice lunch for 2 with a drink will cost $40-$60 and dinner with some wine will cost $100 for 2...
2) I think the other restaurant was called "O" or something like that. I was some sort of asian-fusion type place, but only open on Friday and Saturday...never ate there.

STAFF:
- The staff was friendly, just "Island-Slow"

ACTIVITIES:
Not much to do there aside from sitting by a small pool or on the beach. There are a couple of kayaks - you can try to snorkel, maybe wind-surf if you can rent one....but there are not a lot of activities to do during the day...

WEATHER:
We were there for 3.5 days - overall the weather was nice - around 80 degrees during the day and a little cooler (65-70) at night. It did rain 2/3 nights there from about 5-6 or so...but that is just luck and nothing that I would really think to complain about in a short trip - just posting it to be complete.

CROWD:
We were there with a lot of people for the destination wedding, but aside from us...the place was kind of dead...not much going on otherwise...

SUMMARY:
It was a very nice place for a destination wedding, but I could not imagine going there for a longer period of time and not having plans to take excursions to other places...especially after enjoying other all-inclusive resorts and what they have to offer!

• Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank Garret P

Thank you for your comments and always like hearing how we can improve the guest experience.

Accommodation:
We have a wide variety of villas and hotel rooms designed to meet the different needs and expectations of our guests. So we recommend if anyone is not happy with their accommodation that they come back to the front desk and see if we can change your room to something that is more to your liking. We always try to do this whenever possible.

Relaxing experience then something to do:
You made us laugh when you said that after you were done relaxing that there was nothing to do. We are not known for night life and entertainment and clearly state this on our website. We are place for people to relax, unwind, be with close friends and family and enjoy a secluded and natural environment. Some people take 1 day to unwind and others take the entire stay. Once you are relaxed however, no there is no night life and entertainment at our resort. But there are plenty of things to do right at the resort: snorkel, tennis, hiking, biking, horseback riding, ocean swimming, lap swimming, bird watching, trail and beach running, kayaking, beach fishing, basketball, and working out in fitness center. And close by you can have some real adventure in rapelling, cave expoloration, and wind surfing, kite surfing, and scuba diving. So come to relax, rejuvenate, get out in nature and do, or just plain lay in the hammock with a good book or nap. But don’t come for nightlife, noise and entertainment. It would disturb the guests, birds and our gentle environment.

Service:
You said our staff was friendly but island slow. We actually take that as a compliment. We strive to provide excellent and friendly service, but we don’t want to rush you or make you feel that you can’t do whatever you want in your own time at your own pace. So we train our staff to efficient but gentle and caring. We hope this comes across in the most positive way to our guests.

Thank you for your comments and please come again.

The Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Royal Isabela
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
Rincon Beach Resort
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!