“Worth the stay”
Review of Buenas Olas Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isabela
Buenas Olas Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Isabela B&B and Inns
Stony Brook, New York
“Worth the stay”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

In my view, this hotel is a moderate stay for a modest price. I admit I have not stayed at any other of the local hotels, but I had a hard time finding many positive reviews for neighboring accommodations in the area. According to the reviews, Buenas Olas seemed to be my best bet. I didn't have great expectations because I realized you usually get what you pay for and their rates were in fact quite modest. The rooms are tastefully decorated. The structure of the building, air conditioning and bathroom's craftsmanship certainly can use some improvement. I wasn't, however, very disappointed because I expected a laid back surfer's environment and that's what I got. The views from the balconies were nice and the beach was a hop, skip and a jump away. There is a bar/restaurant connected to the hotel with very little noise insulation. If you're there to party this is the place for you. They are, however, very sensitive to the comfort of their patrons and give you a number to dial if this noise level is uncomfortable to you. I felt bad about have to call it, but I had an early morning planned and when I couldn't bare it any longer I had to dial. They immediately turned the music down and kept the noise level to a minimum for the remainder of my stay. Their reservations manager, Carey, was very responsive and kind during our reservation process as well as our stay. Overall, a good experience. Probably a better scene for younger, partying folk, but I fared just fine.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 13, 2010

The hotel staff is fantastic. Helpful, friendly, lovely people. They answered all of my obsessive questions before we traveled there, and made our stay quite comfortable. They were friendly, and made us feel like we were part of their family. My daughter, who is 4, felt right at home there, and wants to go back.

Although the owner is in the process of renovating, our rooms were clean and well maintained. The beds were comfy (better than my bed at home) and the furniture was all new. The only real downside to the room was the lack of a view from the balcony, which became a non-issue rather quickly. I spent many an evening hanging out on the hammock on the balcony reading happily.

The restaurant attached the hotel - Machete Rojo - is wonderful. Their ceviche is the best I've ever had, and I'm still dreaming about it two weeks later. I have never liked ceviche before I went there, and now I'm a convert (at least for theirs). Their food is well made, creative and fresh. Excellent margaritas made with fresh lime (which is more than I can say for every single other restaurant we went to in Puerto Rico - including San Juan).

The other thing I really loved about the hotel is that it is a very short walk to the beach (Playa Jobos). Most of the hotels we looked at in Puerto Rico weren't that close to the beach, and guests have to take a shuttle or rent a car to get to it.

Aside from Playa Jobos, there are excellent beaches a short drive away from the hotel, and upon check in you're given directions to a "secret beach" that is absolutely breathtaking.

It was a fantastic vacation for my family, and a great place for us to stay.

If you're looking for a resort, this is NOT the place for you. However, if you're looking for a place that's down to earth and completely unpretentious, then by all means, stay at Buenas Olas. And yes, we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Usually when people talk about the perfect beach or the best resort, they use past tense: this or that place was gorgeous until the tourists found it, but now it's an overcommercialized pit. Playa de Jobos is an exception. A little out of the way, it doesn't have much in the way of amenities -- a few little restaurants, a couple of hotels and a few little houses -- but the beach is amazing, and it's the perfect place to spend a few days of rest and relaxation.

If you decide to check out the area, you can't do better than the Buenas Olas. It's clean, inexpensive, and only a short walk to the beach. The staff is small but dedicated, and they all worked hard to make our visit as wonderful as possible. Kevin, the owner, loaned me his computer, while the manager, Carey, spent the better part of a morning negotiating to get us the best deal on a car rental. And Frances, the head maid, gave us great travel tips and advice on places to go.

The rooms are spare, but clean, nicely lit, and well-kept. The beds weren't made every day, but whenever we wanted the room straightened, we only had to ask Frances to drop in. In general, the hotel staff did everything they could to make us feel right at home.

As an added plus, the hotel restaurant, Machete Rojo, is outstanding. The ceviche is a particular standout; I've eaten it at restaurants around the world, and this was the best I ever had. Also, the tacos esconditos are definitely worth a try, and Kevin makes a mean Caiparinha.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a luxury place that will fill your days with activities and pamper you, Buenas Olas is not for you. On the other hand, if you want a comfortable, friendly hotel that is conveniently located and extremely reasonable, you can't do better.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BruceWatson71
New Jersey
Reviewed April 20, 2010

We arrived at dinner time on a Thursday evening and had a difficult time finding Buenas Olas because there was no sign and the only address provided was a mile marker that wasn't to be found either. After several trips up and down 4466, we did finally find it.

I walked into the lobby and there was no one to be found. I followed the noise into the restaurant/bar attached where the bar manager was very friendly and helpful. He attempted to check me in, but could not find my reservation. I had made it with Travelocity back in March. He proceeded to call the owner and set us up in the bar with a complimentary cocktail while we waited.

Kevin, the owner, arrived and didn't even introduce himself. He seemed almost bothered to have to look for my reservation and to almost blame me that it could not be located. When it was finally located, it turns out it was an oversight that email containing our reservation was never opened by anyone at the hotel.

The proceeded to set us up in a room with a King sized bed, an upgrade from the room I had reserved with a queen.

The room was very nicely decorated with all new furniture, bedding, air conditioner and tv/cable. It was obvious that an effort is being made to create a comfortable and upscale experience, but it was not quite there yet.

The lock to the room was loose and difficult to operate. The room had no wash cloths, hand towels or bath mat. There was no clock radio or clock of any kind and no phone. There was some unfinished work (an electrical outlet type box that was uncovered).

On Friday we headed out to visit family and do some sight seeing. We were out all day and returned around 10:30 pm. Our room had been cleaned, but the towels had been removed and had not been replaced. I headed down to ask for additional towels and again was helped by the bar manager. He was able to give me one towel, but the others were in the dryer still. He did bring them up to the room, but it was nearly 11:30 pm before we had towels to shower with.

The next morning when we were prepared to check out around 9:30 am, the note on the dresser indicated that we should leave the keys on the nightstand and lock the door behind us. The lock on our door was not the type that could be locked without the key, so I went downstairs in search of someone, but no one could be found. The note in the bedroom indicates that with any needs one should call a number provided to reach someone in the restaurant/bar, but there is no phone in the room to do so and there is no one in the bar during the morning hours. Uneasily I left the keys on the nightstand and pulled the door closed behind me.

It is easy to see the potential this place has, but unfortunately I did not feel the service and lodgings provided to us this visit were worth the price we paid.

I would recommend to friends once the kinks have been worked out.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 11, 2010

Our stay at Buenas Olas was really nice. We knew very little about the hotel but couldn’t pass up the great deal on the price to stay there. Little did we know how good it was going to be and how much fun we’d have just staying at the actual hotel. The best part was Machete Rojo. It was super convenient to have a great restaurant and bar in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Providence, RI
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We stayed at the hotel in January and had the best time. My boys were able to go surfing daily at Jobos. It was the perfect distance and Kevin and Buenas Olas crew helped us out with local tips and info. The atmosphere was great and my husband and I were able to relax at the hotel while our children were out. The rooms were really nice and comfortable too.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
California
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I recently went down to PR with the swimwear line I work for to scope the scene and check out the market. I've never been down there before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I mean, I knew it was going to be pretty, but I had no IDEA it would look like this.

My friends who've been to PR in the past had either stayed in San Juan or at Via Montana, but we wanted to try something new and had heard great things about Buenas Olas. The location ended up being IDEAL. Absolutely gorgeous, the hotel was spotless, the staff was so friendly (and patient with my attempts at Spanish) and our room was super comfy. Amazing surf spot too.. I don't personally know how to surf, but I do know how to check out surfer boys!

Bottom line: the hotel really made the trip awesome. Will only stay there from now on.. maybe even do a fashion show!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
#1 of 8 in Rincon
Hotel Colombus
Hotel Colombus
#1 of 2 in Aguada

Been to Buenas Olas Hotel? Share your experiences!