“Had an excellent wedding!”

Benmiller Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We had our wedding here mid October, it was very memorable. All of our guests had a great time (youngest guest was 2 and oldest were in their 70's). We stayed in the cottage our first 2 nights. The cottage is very well decorated and spacious. On our wedding night we stayed in our complimentary suite, which was fantastic. The wedding day was amazing, and stress free. The staff were very well organized and took care of everything. The food was excellent our entire stay and our wedding dinner was flawless, not one complaint from our 30 guests. After dinner we enjoyed the live music. The musician who plays at the Benmiller is amazing...very talented.

Overall our stay was fantastic and hope to return as often as possible.

We would like to thank all the staff, especially Mark our wedding coordinator who took care of all the details for us and made our day stress free. We had a great wedding.

We would highly recommend the Benmiller Inn to everyone!

Thanks again,
Jamie & GInger

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed December 2, 2009

SUPERB accomodations/buildings, staff, food, pool area, surroundings, massage, trails, etc etc ETC!! We've been to dozens of resorts/hotels within a few years, & this was sweetly SPLENDID, serene & so unique!!! Very clean within & without, OOZING with character & history, & gorgeous surroundings to boot... We were baffled by previous bad reviews: naysayers must have had a problem with timing, expectations or attitude. (PS: New management now.) We asked & viewed many rooms (besides our gorgeous, spacious one) & loved them all. What a gem... Be sure to peruse the Benmiller tableside book; full of interesting tales/photos.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 22getaway
Reviewed November 13, 2009

My wife and I decided to do something special for our 10th anniversary and overall, I regret going to the Ben Miller. We booked the deluxe room with King size bed, Jacuzzi, fireplace and sauna in the room. When we arrived the check in service was good and we were very excited, they assured us we would be very comfortable in this room with all the ammenities we had - Wrong! First, we walked past a bucket in the hallway catching drips, we laughed, these things happen. When we entered the room it was somewhere between rustic and dated, the sitting room with fireplace was uncomfortable - the bedroom was very nice, and the bathroom was not what we hoped. First, I guess it was my fault, when I was told there was a jacuzzi I pictured my wife and I relaxing with a drink and enjoying being away - it was the bathtub! if I was in there the tub was full - no relaxing tub - the sauna was a bit of a stretch - there was a very small sauna in the bathroom, the door did not close properly so it never held the little heat it produced - after half an hour we gave up, we never broke a sweat! Now to the restaurant, I wanted to make a 7:00-7:30 reservation, I was told either 6:00 or 9:00 - as I had reserved a week in advance I though I had just waited too long and sucked it up and took 6:00 so we wouldn't be eating until 10:30. we sat down, the waitress asked if we would like water - regular or sparkling she asked - we had sparkling, we should have said tap - we were billed over $10.00 at the end for water! the appetizers were small, ok we get it, they're appetizers, then the main course - for $40.00 I got 3 small Lamb ribs - not chops, ribs on a bed of brussel sprouts - they tasted awesome! My wife got rizzotto - the entire portion was in a cup no bigger than a pudding cup I send my 4 year old to school with - what a joke! then coffee, yum. Oh yeah, 2 glasses of wine $22.00 - It was good wine. The whole ordeal was $140.00 or so - I did the math and in order for us to actually feel full it would have cost about $600.00. We went back to the room and laghed over a bag of chips. As we didn't experience the spa we did go ang look and the pool/spa area look great - I took a picture as I wouldn't be returning. Save your money and if money is no object go somewhere else anyway. I don't want to make this review out to make me look cheap, I booked the Ben Miller because I didn't care, all I wanted was value for my dollar and it didn't even come close.

3  Thank Scotts-1999
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Fantastic stay, complete with friendly staff and exceptional food!

Definately staying again and soon!

Reviewed October 5, 2009

My main regret. was not coming to trip adviosr first to read reviews as I always .. foolishly I was taken in by the website on this one. Went there for a 2 night pleaser pkg stay for our anniversary. I should also preface this by saying that funds are very tight for us these days with trying to get kids through post secondary etc ..we saved all year for this getaway. We arrived around 7:00 on the Friday night driving from Toronto,anxious to get setlled in quickly, so we could have dinner. Upon arrival and checking in .. immediately there was a problem as far as what was charged for the cost of the w/end there was a $ 70.00 increase.. to some it would be no big deal.. for those on a tight budget .. not a great start..( Oh and I had called earlier in the week to confirm everything .. including the cost ). We were directed down the road .. to our loft room.. cannot remember the name of the building. I knew immediately upon entering the room and looking at the dirty stained cream coloured carpet that it was not going to be good I was flabbergasted to say the least .. further to seeing more of the dirty stained carpet ..the decor was .bland dull dated.. poor furniture layout . I could go on and on .. certainly nothing remotely close to the bright colourful updated rooms that are depicted on the website. I wanted to turnaround and drive back home to our own bedroom which was so much nicer.The maid came in to turn down the sheets .. she could tell that I was on the verge of tears and offered to show me a couple of other rooms.. which was very nice of her to do. Long story made short.. we did get a much improved room in the main building...By this time the evening was getting on ..past 9 by the time we sat down to eat ..we were exhausted..I was grouchy because fo the fa la la... not the nicest way start to a romantic weekend!!. My overall impresssion of the inn .. is that it is tired .. and some of the staff ..not ideally suited to a 'fine hospitality' establishment. . Perhaps we are just paying the price as they go through the growing pains stage under 'new mgt'.
The carpets . the pool area .. whirpool...the sauna(which didn;t work well) .. were musty the spa amenitiies ie.. the beds.. sheets ..wraps etc.. were old and worn. The spa attendant doing my husbands facial and massage (my treat to him) was a new grad ..just working a few weeks.. not what you want to hear when you are paying over
$ 100.00 with taxes
In closing ..my husband's biggest complaint was that he had to schlep our bags up the stairs to 2 different rooms.. no baggage assistance at all .. at what what is deemd to be one of Ontario's finest inns...

3  Thank HandH2
Reviewed October 3, 2009

My husband and I were considering taking a little getaway and was wondering what's new at The Benmiller Inn. We stayed there about 3 years ago and loved it so much that we talked another couple in to joining us the following year. It was so bad, it was comical. Like someone said earlier, could have been out of a movie - service issues, worn carpets, slimy hot tub, grimy pool. It was actually quite sad to see how it had detoriated. The night we were there there was a wedding going on and our dinner reserveration fell 3 hours behind. During the entire time we waited in the bar, kids were crying from hunger, etc and do you think they even came around with a complimentary drink or nuts? It was so shabby!! Breakfast the next day was no better - first they ran out of eggs, then they brought the eggs but they had run out of plates. I kid you not. It was so bad we received a refund for the entire amount. This was when they were taken over by a company that was going to run the place for them. I read the reviews now and think how sad, nothing has changed. This place is a joke. And for the manager to claim that they plan on replacing the carpets, and uncomfortable sofa beds over the next many months just doesn''t cut it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank torontocharlie
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Benmiller is under new management and is worth another look. That was our experience. We had a very relaxing experience in our large cozy room in Gledhill House. The room was immaculate, bright, and cheerful with a beautiful sitting area. The air conditioning was controlled by a thermostat on the wall which was accurate and quiet. The bed was great and the linens luxurious.
My husband enjoyed the swimming pool and hot tub and was only disappointed that he had not thought to book a massage before we came. Sometimes you can book one on arrival, but it is safest to request it before you come.
We had a lovely dinner in a candle lit dinning room with careful and attentive service.
The hotel is under new management and great improvements are under way. The breakfast, for example, was not special (although the coffee was great) but we were told that it is in the process of being redesigned.
We left feeling refreshed from our night in this quiet, country retreat .

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goderich
Samuels Hotel
Dreamz Inn
Dreamz Inn
#1 of 9 in Goderich
The Little Inn of Bayfield

Been to Benmiller Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!