“cozy and relaxing experience”

Benmiller Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Benmiller is under new management and is worth another look. That was our experience. We had a very relaxing experience in our large cozy room in Gledhill House. The room was immaculate, bright, and cheerful with a beautiful sitting area. The air conditioning was controlled by a thermostat on the wall which was accurate and quiet. The bed was great and the linens luxurious.
My husband enjoyed the swimming pool and hot tub and was only disappointed that he had not thought to book a massage before we came. Sometimes you can book one on arrival, but it is safest to request it before you come.
We had a lovely dinner in a candle lit dinning room with careful and attentive service.
The hotel is under new management and great improvements are under way. The breakfast, for example, was not special (although the coffee was great) but we were told that it is in the process of being redesigned.
We left feeling refreshed from our night in this quiet, country retreat .

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Benmiller Inn & Spa

Reviewed September 14, 2009

Getting away from the fast late for one or two nights is all I ever want when I stay at the Benmiller Inn and Spa.
I had stayed a few times before this and never written a review but when I saw some of the reviews previous to mine, I thought I had better speak of my experiences lest anyone be misled by the sheer beauty and tranquility that this place brings to my mini escapes.
The buildings are quiet, the linens are spectacular, the grounds are breathtaking, food to die for with service to match. Yes, it's a Country Inn so you won't find a contemporary decor here, but if you want to feel totally relaxed and stress free and find charming antique touches around every corner (which all have an interesting story, I might add), I wouldn't recommend anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We had a fabulous mini vacation at Benmiller. We purchased the Pleaser Package since we are on a budget and thought it worked out great. The grounds are absolutely beautiful- nestled between a stream and a river in a cozy valley surrounded by beautiful gardens. The overall atmosphere was very rustic, cozy and relaxing- nice but not too fancy or stuffy. If you are looking for fancy-schmancy this probably isn't the place for you but it has a lot of character. The staff were all fabulous and very friendly. The dinner was one of the best meals I have ever had! Just fabulous! We had drinks in the lounge after dinner and thoroughly enjoyed the singer/pianist. The room was standard but very comfortable with a feather-top bed and comfy linens. My only compaint was the pool could have been cleaner and it was quite chilly. We left the Inn after only a one night stay feeling totally relaxed and rejuvenated! I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We now live in the US. We previously had lived north of Toronto for many years and . had stayed at the Ben Miller two or three times. We thought we would go back. What a mistake! The room was way overpriced (C$400) for a one bedroom (king) and a "living room" with a pull out couch. It was very apparent that the pull-out couch had seen better days. I can't believe these guys would not do their own assessment of the beds ... given job #1 of a hotel is providing sleeping accommodations!! Needless to say my wife and I took one for the team and let the teenagers sleep in the king bed, while we took the "saggy" pull out. The teenagers had a comfortable sleep. Little sleep was had by the parents. When we confronted the front desk in the morning ... we were given a mild apology and sent on our way! Customers must have been complaining about the pull-out couch for the last 5 years given its condition! (I wish I would have taken a couple of pictures of that tired old couch to post here). People they are out to steal your money, they have invested very little in this place in the last several years!!

We also had a very expensive dinner ($270 for 4 with 1 bottle of Canadian wine). Again way overpriced. The teenagers had a pasta dish which was ok, while the parents were served tough and overdone rack of lamb. Really disappointing.

The place is well past its prime. I wish I would have read the reviews before I spent the money. I can't see this place being around in a year or two ... but I won't be shedding any tears.

Please heed all the posters advice!!! Do not waste your money. There is a very nice Best Western just north of Goderich on Hwy 21.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank NewJerseyBrent
BenmillerGM, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2009

Thank you for posting your review. I'm sorry to hear about the problems with the sofa bed in your room. We do receive rave reviews on our pillow top beds with feather pillows and duvets, but unfortunately sofa beds aren't typically as comfortable. We will be addressing capital improvements including upholstered furnishings within the next several months. In the meantime, we have been making some positive changes in our menu offerings & pricing, with the end result being delicious well prepared and presented food at more affordable prices. Guests have enthusiastically endorsed these improvements. We hope that you will as well on your next visit!

Reviewed August 22, 2009

My husband and I searched for the perfect place to spend our 3rd wedding anniversary. From the website (which is flashy, but not representative), and a recommendation from a friend (who stayed years ago), we were so excited about our weekend. We arrived and you didn't even have to scratch the surface to see that the inn has seen better days. Our room (a country room in the Mill) was extremely dated, nasty stains on the carpet, and overall unclean. We complained, and we were shown the "cottage" which wasn't much better. We CANCELED, TURNED AROUND and drove the TWO HOURS home! We are not ones to usually complain, we felt DUPED, GRUMPY and our anniversary spoiled. Seriously, do not stay here!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KaraBear23

I'm sorry to read of your disappointment with your stay last month. Most of the five buildings on our property containing guest rooms & suites are more than a century old and feature antiques and artifacts from the days of woollen and grist mill operations. Many guests share our appreciation of the historic value. I acknowledge that we have some carpet issues which need to be attended to and we now have a plan in place to address these. Thank you for providing your comments. I hope that you will provide us with an opportunity to have you as our guests in future.

Reviewed August 1, 2009

Located in a beautiful location among babbling streams - the renovated mill seems like it should be a wonderful inn. Unfortunately that was not our experience.

The facility feels tired, and the staff - especially at the front desk - seem uninterested in going out of their way to ensure great experiences by their guests.

The multiple special "package" pricing just seemed complicated and a bunch of fine print - leading to a feeling of not trusting we were getting a fair value.

A wrong charge ended up on our bill, so check you final bill carefully.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaveB001
Reviewed July 18, 2009

A huge room! Outstanding surroundings. A good breakfast buffet.

Okay, now the actual review. The Inn may have seen better days. Our room, although large, was certainly not "posh". The bathroom was very small, considering the size of the room. Our air conditioner, which we needed to keep on, even though the evening air was cool, was very noisy. Our bathroom wall, backed onto the same wall that housed th e ice maker and vending machines. Both of these kept the bathroom more than warm. The rug in front of our bed had an upturned corner that, not only I, but the turn down personnel tripped over.

On our first night, we had mistakenly put the wrong side of the "do not disturb" sign on the handle to read "Please make up our room". At the knock on the door (I was already awake), I answered the door, looked at the sign, said "Sorry" and asked if they could come back. Never to be seen again. Our room never was made up that whole day, even though we had changed the sign once we left the room (at approximately 10) and didn't come back until 9:30 that night. Certainly not the service I would expect from the reputation of this Inn.

I doubt I would return.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WindsorTenor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goderich
Samuels Hotel
Dreamz Inn
Dreamz Inn
#1 of 9 in Goderich
The Little Inn of Bayfield

Been to Benmiller Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!