“Beautiful rooms and grounds”

Benmiller Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We have been to the Benmiller inn three times in the last year and have never been disappointed. The rooms are large and have amazing views. The grounds are beautiful. It is a great place for a weekend getaway. The weekend brunch is also quite tasty.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dawn B, General Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for the kind words. We always love getting feedback from our guests. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Was looking for a romantic get-away between Christmas and New Years and had biked in this area years ago.
They have a great program.....mention room and breakfast and they give you the next, best room available. We got an awesome room, overlooking the Maitland River, 4th floor, size of a 2 bedroom apartment.

Drove over from K-W area, 90 KPH all the way, my buddy went downtown Toronto same time, the last 15 KM took him over an hour + with the ice storm/power outage there, his hotel was filled with screaming kids and dogs everywhere.

Quickly checked in and got settled in room, front desk mentioned TV and internet was off...so what? Lot's to do.

Decided to start with the pool/dry sauna/hot tub cycle for an hour or so, very quiet and private. Then got ready for dinner, yes if staying in the part of Benmiller that has the pool, have to go outside to get to dining room. We decided to walk, amazing number of stars, even saw the Milky Way.

Dinner was delicious, lot's of vegetarian selections for my partner and we had a very buttery but not oaky, private label Chardonnay. Yum.
Back in the room, we decided to do another pool/sauna/hot tub cycle or 3. Total relaxation + the king sized bed with feathertop was awesome. TV and internet was working...but who needs that in a place like this?
Next morning was a slow-wake up, the single portion hot in-room-beverage machine was awesome...I hate coffee flavoured tea....both were yummy.

We had reserved a brunch time and were slightly late walking up the road to dinning room, not a problem. Massive selection of food choices for brunch, we left plumped up nicely ( we love good food but not to excessive quantites, quality vs quantity). The Chef running the omlette station encourages bringing ingrediants from elsewhere ( ie blue cheese from cheese station) to create your perfect dish.

Back in the room, outside, Mr Eagle was flying around above Maitland River, sadly with family events scheduled, we had to pass on pool/sauna/hot tub.

Lot's to do in the area, Part 2 Bistro in Blyth was great, walking/biking trails in Goderich was enjoyable, shopping district in Bayfield was a bit boring.

Room Tip: Umm....next time you might want my fave room....yes we will be going back
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review and we are so glad you enjoyed your time here. Isn't it amazing sight to see the eagles over the river? We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have stayed at Ben Miller before and had a very enjoyable and pleasurable experience. My parents also stayed there before and had a great experience. On the weekend of December 28-29th my mom and I decided to get away before the end of the year. We booked a room in the same building as the pool. We are both swimmers and love the water. Upon checking in we were told that the cable and Internet was down. This was not a big deal to us because we planned to be in the pool the entire time. As soon as we got to our room we got changed and headed to the pool. The pool was freezing cold and totally unusable. The website states that the pool is heated. It is far from heated. We could not stay in the water very long because it was too cold. We decided to sit in the hot tub for a bit.

When we got back to our room we called the front desk to inquire about the pool. The woman at the front desk claimed that the pool was heated by sunlight. However, when we were there last time it was definitely heated and not freezing cold. She said that she would call maintenance and get them to take a look. We left Ben Miller for a bit and went into Goderich. When we came back we went down to the pool again to see if the jets had been turned on. It was still freezing cold.

There are cobwebs everywhere in the pool room and the clock is stuck at 8:45. There are cobwebs in the hallways and lights are burnt out and need replacing. When we got back to the room we called the front desk again. It took literally 5 minutes to get through to someone and I had to call 3 times. This time we were told that it was a "bad decision for the owners not to heat the pool like they used to". The woman told me that they were likely going to go back to heating it the way it was before. A little too late for our trip!! Not to mention the cable wasn't working so we were bored. We had planned to be in the pool til closing because that's how much I love swimming.

The next morning we had massages. It was supposed to be deep muscle. It was more like a back tickle. Wen we got back to our rooms we were covered in the massage oil and needed a shower. My mom hopped in the shower first and could not get any hot water. She came out of the bathroom not showered and asked if I could get the hot water to work. I went to the bathroom and there was definitely no hot water. We called the front desk and were told they would send someone right up. Right up was thirty minutes later. I ended up going to the pool change rooms and showering there.

What a nightmare!!! I can honestly say this was the worst trip ever. I feel like it was a total waste of time and money. Not to mention we wanted to "relax" before going back to work from the holidays. This was anything but relaxing.

At the end they ended up not charging us for the night and we only had to pay for our massages. They also gave us a certificate for another nights stay, but I will never be going back there.

I do not get to go away very often and I feel like this was more stressful than anything. I would not recommend this place to anyone. When you go away you actually want to have a good time and not have to deal with stuff like this.

This place has really gone downhill since the last time we both have been there. We went back because it was so beautiful and the pool was amazing. Yeah, well not anymore. Now it's just a hole in the ground.

Room Tip: Do not go here!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Natasha W

I do apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. There was indeed an issue with the pool at that time as we had blown a fuse which was quickly rectified but it takes time to get the pool back up to temperature. I am not sure what the issue was with the water in your room as the guests before and after had no trouble at all but again I do apologize that you had trouble.
I understand that your nights stay was complimentary due to the issues you had and that we gave a second complimentary stay for a future time so that we might show you a more pleasant experience as this is a very non typical stay. Nothing is more important to us than our guests happiness and I am confidant that your next stay will be top notch.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

If you're looking to spend too much money at a resort that's rather dated, then stay here. Otherwise, spend your hard-earned money elsewhere. My wife and I recently spend 2 nights here for a getaway from the Michigan Thanksgiving rush. The rooms, albeit quiet, are dated and in need of upgrade - peeling paint and bare screws in the wall where pictures used to hang. The front desk staff missed our calls to them twice, gave mediocre restaurant recommendations (really, a chain burger joint for a couple trying to have a nice retreat?) and told us that the HST was likely refundable to US citizens (sorry, that went away several years ago as I found out). While the restaurant was nice, it too was over-priced (Thyme on 21 has better food at a lower price - if you can get a table as they are VERY busy, in contrast to the hotel restaurant). That was a restaurant discovery we found on our own. Spa services were mediocre - my wife said her facial and massage were fine, I asked for a "deep tissue" massage and got a pretty light workout. Although the pool is nice, no need to check out the "exercise room" as there are 3 rickety old machines and some dumbells in a 5-gallon pail - good luck. We spent our honeymoon here many years ago and found it charming at that point. Today, it seems as they are trying to milk it's history for all it's worth. There are many better places to go for the price we were charged. We won't go back again.

Room Tip: Room 62 was where we stayed. Spacious and away from the few others at the resort, but clearly in ne...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lloyd B

Thank you for your review. We continue to work at renovations and have just completed Woolen Mill with new floors, paint etc. We are a historic Mill and that is what people love about us for the most part. The exercise room is something that we are working on building up and increasing in the near future. The room in which you stayed is one of our most sought after rooms and I am sorry that you did not enjoy the feel of it.
I am glad you enjoyed Thyme on 21 as it is a beautiful place to dine in our area.
Our guest services people do get very busy with calls and guests and I apologize if they missed your calls.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Recently celebrated our Anniversary at The Benmiller Inn, specifically the Gledhill House. We were very happy with the service ( Dan ) and restaurant atmosphere. The meal was exceptionally well done from the appetizer thru to the dessert. We anticipated the rooms were going to be dated and in need of updating; however, what we didn't expect was the noise. The noise created by plumbing issues throughout the entire night resulted in a very interrupted sleep. When addressed the issue during checkout, the response was less than favourable. Not returning.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie V

I apologize for the noise you experienced during your stay. It has been dealt with and it ended up being a pressure issue in the lines. Please contact me directly if you would like to give us another opportunity as I would be happy to give you a special rate as an apology for the sleepless night. That is not what we want you to remember about us but from time to time issues do arise as they do in our own homes.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Recently stayed four nights at the Inn my company had an annual meeting their and the place was awesome. The staff very friendly and went above and beyond to provide service. Also had the best dinner of the stay in Goderich at the BenMiller Restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was our pleasure to have you here and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Goderich
Samuels Hotel
#1 of 9 in Goderich
Maple Leaf Motel
Maple Leaf Motel
#4 of 9 in Goderich

Been to Benmiller Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!