“Pleasantly Surprised”

Benmiller Inn & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a night stay. We went for the November deal, which was a regular room with the brunch on Sunday. We stayed in the Woollen Mill building which is where the restaurant is.
The room was small, but it didn't matter as there was a lot of comfortable sitting space on the main floor. They had games you could play (crib, backgammon etc.), or just sit and have drinks from the bar.
Enjoyed the spa. I sent my husband for a deep tissue massage and I had the reflexology. Both were well done (note: gratuity is automatically added if you put it on your room).
The entree options for the $29 3 course dinner meal was the only disappointment. Wish they had a couple more items to choose from.
The have a large indoor pool with windows overlooking a river. The hot tub was nice but could use an update. The pool is in the River Mill building down the road.
Loved the live music they had in the sitting area after dinner.
Loved the amazing brunch the next day. Fresh made omelettes and crepes. A great selection of hot foods ... and some wonderful desserts.
Didn't do any real hiking (there are trails), but did take the time to enjoy the various benches they had a different 'scenic' spots.

1  Thank PeggyOnHolidays
Dawn B, Front Office Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and got to enjoy all of the different areas. We do hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend at Benmiller on November 9-11. It was a lovely - outstanding experience. Beautiful setting, the large room in the "River" building had been recently renovated to very high standards - large, windown overlooking the Maitland River, with the sound of the "mill" through the windows. The swimming pool is large with a beautiful view and lovely sauna and whirlpool. The new ownership at Benmiller is obviously "doing things right" .... the staff were gracious, helpful and accommodating ... the spa services were excellent - we really liked that they added the tip to the bill - the meals were very good to excellent and the setting "quiet, first class" ..... we hadn't been at the Benmiller for about 20 years but we will return soon .... highly recommended. Bob and Lucinda, Toronto, Canada

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed everything and that we are on the right track. Many wonderful changes ahead in the future so we hope to see you again soon.;

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from a wonderful weekend stay at Benmiller and were really pleased with our experience! We stayed in the Spa room. There was a luxurious king bed with feather top mattress! There was also a big window overlooking the river and electric fireplace, as well as a flat screen TV. However, this may be something that is common in resorts that I was not aware of, but I found it super weird that the shower/jacuzzi was IN the bedroom itself, i.e. there was no separation/privacy between the shower and the bed - I just found this very strange!

The main building is gorgeous, there was a live musician performing who was wonderful. The restaurant was beautiful, and most tables have big comfy armchairs to sit in! Dessert was good, but very small portions at a very expensive price. Brunch was great; best part was the crepe and omelet station. The other food was good too, although some of it was not kept very hot at all.

I would definitely recommend the Benmiller Inn for a pleasant weekend away and we will most definitely return!

1  Thank Caitlin B

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Spent the first weekend in October celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary at the Benmiller Inn & Spa. We had a great, relaxing time. This was our 2nd stay - 1st time was in 1999, so we did see some changes. The tornado that ripped through in 2011 definitely had an impact and there are still renovations in the works to repair the damage done. However, the cozy country atmosphere of Ben Miller is still there. The accommodations are comfortable, the spa and dining room is good, but the Sunday morning country breakfast is absolutely fabulous. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dawn B, Front Office Manager at Benmiller Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Sunday brunch is very popular. Glad you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Thank you for a relaxing weekend away. My husband and I stayed over the Thanksgiving Weekend. Our room was upgraded as well as brunch on Sunday which was a special one because of the holiday. The food by far is the best food at an Ontario resort that I have been to-there have been many. Our dinner on Saturday night from the Prix-Fix was delicious, didn't stuff us and left us room for more drinks in the lounge while we listened to live music.
Our room wasn't attached to the main in, so we had to walk (not complaining), it gave us a short time to walk off dinner.
The Brunch however, was so good. We were blown away with the quality and choice, we have made a choice to come back often for brunch with other family members.
We will be back in a few months to enjoy a special that was posted, we are bringing friends to enjoy with us as well.
The staff were very professional-even fairly young ones. They attended to us quickly at all meals and were courteous and polite.
Thanks for your hospitality. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. It is great to hear that you enjoyed everything. We are very proud of the staff that we have and I will pass on your comments to all. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My niece booked the Benmiller for a "girl's weekend" (mother, daughter, aunt and daughter's girlfriend) in early July 2012. It was the hottest weekend of the year and the air conditioning in the room was working but very loud. It was making a clanking sound that you couldn't even talk over, let alone sleep in. Management said they would come and look at it. They sent an eighteen or so year old student who knew nothing about air conditioning. He said that they would send someone to fix it. Then management called and we were told that no one was available who could fix it. The girls were okay to sleep in the livingroom but we were told that we could rent another room (with 10%) off if we didn't like the noise. As "compensation" they sent us up 6 chocolate covered strawberries to make up for the horrible room conditions. So my sister and I sweated the whole night in this overpriced room. The next day we went into the pool/jacuzzi. It was very much over chlorinated and the jacuzzi made my skin itch. It looked dirty but I didn't want to disappoint my niece who had made all the arrangements. (It took me four washings of my bathing suit to finally get that chlorination out). What an expensive waste of money. The desk staff made us feel like pests for complaining about the airconditioner and made many excuses. Not impressed! Would NEVER go back there again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AyleneS

I do apologize for the issues that you had during your stay. We have just finished installing some new air conditioners that are quiet and more energy efficient. Our pool is monitered by the health unit and we do daily checks that we are indeed within the guidelines that the health unit gives us. I am sorry if you felt it was over chlorinated.
Again, our sincerest apologies for a stay that was less then satisfactory. Our guests are very important to us and all feedback is appreciated.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here over a holiday weekend. We have been coming to the Benmiller for years and we have a bit of a tradition. We always hike into the park on the trail adjacent to the property and go to the falls. The history of this place along with the details in the furnishings and decor make it unique and special. We stayed in the Gledhill house, and it was my favorite room yet. As for price, considering that we spent $160 at a Holiday Inn in Barrie, I think this place offers a good value. The food is good, and we always look forward to the fish for dinner. The Sunday brunch spread was extensive and offered a lot of healthy options, which we appreciate since we are not eating meat. There was some miscommunication and we missed the included breakfast the morning after which was disappointing. The grounds did take a hit since the tornado and the place is aging, but if you don't mind rustic charm this place has tons of it.

Room Tip: I prefer the charm of the rooms in the Gledhill house and the view of the pond better than the bigge...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kerry M

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We did take quite a hit by the tornado and continue to upgrade rooms and work on the grounds. We hope to see you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Goderich
Samuels Hotel
Maple Leaf Motel
Maple Leaf Motel
#4 of 9 in Goderich
Colborne Bed and Breakfast

Been to Benmiller Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!