Benmiller Inn & Spa
Harmony Inn(Goderich)
Dunlop Motel(Goderich)
The Ashwood Inn(Bayfield)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmain buildinggledhill housedining roomthe riverhot tubold millconservation areacrepesselect roomsmall balconydifferent buildingsbuffet breakfastwedding guestsrelaxing experiencefine diningbeautiful spotromantic weekend
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We just got back from a stay at the Ben Miller Inn outside Goderich.

First thing I should say is that the location couldn't be better, amazing land and surroundings, but that is about all the positive I can say for this Inn.

They were very booked up this weekend so we got probaby the worst room in the house - room 03 in the main lodge, a 'Classic room' according to the one photo on their site.

Check-in was fine and smooth. First issue came when we went for a dip before our dinner reservation in the Ivey Dining room. At the pool - hot tub was actually very cold. Sauna wasn't heated up yet, these could all be considered good things when conserving electricity, but they should have warned us.

Starving, we got ready for dinner - wait staff - I would have to say borderline terrible, especially for the price of the entrees. I've had better service in 1 star restaraunts, exceptionally better service actually. As soon as we're about to place our order, power goes out. Okay, no problem. We're starving, no power, no other places to eat for about 20 minutes drive out of the Inn region to Goderich, but no problem. ...

we wait under a strobe light amongst other guests happily already having received their food, romantic atmosphere on the quick decline. Not a single server comes and tells us what's going on. Or if we can order. I had to track someone down, server's busy making small talk with other guests dont' even seem to notice us.
I actually had to go and get my own bread in the dark.

Finally, they decide to hook us up with a couple salads and a terrible 'cheese' plate.

We go to bed hungry in the dark.

No power till 3 or 4 am.

Our room is cramped and extrememly hot. You can't open the windows here because of the A/C unit bolted in. No fresh air whilst out in the country? If i wanted to be stuck in filtered air i'd just stay home in Toronto.

Wake up in the morning, extremely allergic from whatever is in the room, dust, diry A/C filter, etc etc.

Breakfast may have been the other only redeeming quality.

Check out - Not even -'How was your stay with us? ' question.

They were obviously too busy with other guests checking in for a wedding reception. But overall left with a terrible taste in our mouths, literally.

Sad, because location is perfect. Inn and rooms itself don't add up to the price they charge.

Service was the worst i've experienced.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank umomo
Reviewed June 18, 2007

I don't know how anyone not simply LOVE this Inn.

It was a surprise escape that I had planned for my wife and I and I am so pleased that we chose Benmiller. Some friends of our has recommended it, and I must say everything from my first telephone call with Carrie who made our reservation (she also checked us in) to Myron in the dining room where we enjoyed an amazing dinner, the service was friendly, attentive, and just what we were looking for. It is a beautiful Country Inn so don't go looking for a downtown, big city hotel because you won't find it here. You will find a tranquil setting with beautiful gardens, historic buildings and many antiques throughout the rooms. And the bed! The beds were the best we have ever slept on.

I am confused with some of the reviews that I have seen posted here on TripAdvisor. For us this place was wonderful - we'll be back for sure!

Rob & Lisa

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rob_hopf
Reviewed April 2, 2007

I wanted to take my wife somewhere special for our aniversary and Benmiller Inn was supposed to be top drawer. My wife wanted a jacuzzi and that was only available in their most expensive and most luxurious suite. I'm sad to report that if that is their best suite I shudder to think what the others are like. The bed was okay and the view was nice but the furniture was old and battered. (Not antiques, just cheap stuff that should have been replaced a decade ago) The carpets were stained, the bathroom was cramped and ugly and the hallways needed a paintjob and new carpets.
Our restaurant experience was mixed. The wait staff were very nice but our pan seared scallops and steak medallions were just heated and with no trace of the seared effect you would expect. The chef simply wasn't using a hot enough pan which ruined the effect. Breaffast was very nice.
All together we spent over $500 for room and dinner. I have to say I won't return or recommend this place to anyone unless they sink some money into badly needed improvements.

• Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank fremd
Reviewed March 25, 2007

In the fall of 2006 my husband and I were to spend a rare weekend away from home and after considering several of Ontario's Finest Inns, chose the Benmiller Inn as our destination for the weekend. The reservation was made several weeks in advance of our arrival.

We chose a "Benmiller Country Room", described on the website as a "larger guest room than the classic room.....with a sitting area". We were looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend in a comfy, spacious room. Upon our arrival we checked in and were given the key to Room 7 in the main building. We made our way upstairs and found ourselves in a very small room, in fact I don't know how you could have smaller rooms in the Inn! There was one chair between the bed and the door but hardly what one would call a "sitting area" and certainly not suited for two people. Nothing about the room was as we expected, the bathroom was very small, the bathtub tiny. The room smelled of stale cooking odors, likely due to the close proximity of the kitchen. At first glance the exterior wall of the room looked to be painted stone, but on closer inspection appears to be painted spray foam insulation.

I called the front desk and expressed our disappointment, and we were immediately offered an upgrade to a larger room in another building. Our room rate would go from $205. per night to $269. per night but we were eager to salvage our getaway and accepted the upgrade to a Spa Room in the Rivermill Building. We drove over to the Rivermill Building. The second story windows facing the parking area were dirty and covered with cobwebs, making the building look derelict. We entered and were hit with an unpleasant smell reminiscent of a mixture of chlorine and stale cigarette smoke. Our room, although most certainly larger, had an unpleasant odor and we immediately opened the windows to air it out. There was a nice large tub in the room but we quickly discovered that the facilities here were also wanting. The toilet would not flush (my husband fixed it 3 times over the course of our brief stay), the stopper in the sink in the bathroom was broken and the sink in the main room had no stopper at all and only one working tap, making it difficult for my husband to shave! At that point we decided to cut our losses and cancel the second night of our stay and find alternate accommodations for the Saturday night. The front desk accepted the change without question, making me wonder if this is a common event. Upon our departure Saturday morning at 9:00 a.m. there were beer bottles and garbage on the table in the front entrance of the Rivermill building. We did not see a single staff person from the time we checked in until we checked out - and apparently there was no one tending the Mill building.

Breakfast on Saturday morning was also a disappointment, the serving dishes were nearly all empty when we arrived as were the beverage containers and a long line awaited the single toaster provided for the entire dining room.

A rare escape for us was spoiled and it will be some time before the opportunity presents itself again so I decided to write to the Benmiller Inn (with a copy to Ontario Finest Inns) expressing my disappointment. We were offered a free one-night stay in a room to be hand-picked by the Innkeeper. We declined the offer as we had no desire to return and felt that one should not need a hand-picked room to have a good experience. I suggested that the website misrepresented the Inn and it's rooms and that in our estimation the Benmiller Inn does not fit the description of a "Fine Inn". I should note that the description of the "Benmiller Country Rooms" no longer mentions a sitting area.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TripadvmemberOntario
Reviewed March 19, 2007

We recently stayed at Benmiller Inn and Spa and had a lovely Spa Room overlooking the Maitland River. Our room had a fireplace and lovely tub in the room. Meals were delicious with a focus on regional cuisine. Some of the entre's were a bit heavy, but their are fish and chicken options. The wine list is wonderful with some really interesting selections that are private import.
We spent some time hiking and just relaxing-much needed. The highlight of the Inn are the antiques from the original inn-you have to read the in room book about the mill which really is interesting....service was friendly and professional, front desk and dinning room people are very accomodating.
If you are looking for a romantic weekend away this is it......
Also the beds are delicious, you just fall into the cotton sheets and there are fantastic pillows.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sunny.shine.11