“Outstanding!”

Huron County Museum
Ranked #3 of 32 things to do in Goderich
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Being new to the area, we did not know what to expect at the museum. I love history and the telling of the early days of our pioneers so I felt that we should visit the Huron Museum. However I made the mistake of thinking that it wouldn't take long to tour the museum being that Goderich has a small population base. So unfortunately we arrived shortly before closing and rushed through the exhibits. Hats off to all those who contributed to creation of a first class museum that showcases the stories of the area through artefacts and story. For sure the crowing piece of the museum is the main street vignette. My advice is to plan for 2+ hours at least to enjoy the experience.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We've been to this museum twice now, and enjoyed our visits both times. There are a lot of displays and we can spend several hours looking and reading, depending on the attention span of our son. At 5 years old, at last year's visit he stayed quite interested for almost 2 hours, partly due to the interactive displays which allow kids a hands on approach to learning about some of the historical items.

1  Thank ESmith583
Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you're into local history, then this is a worthwhile stop. A good amount of stuff is crammed into the space. Save on admission by pairing this with the gaol. Super clean bathroom downstairs, by the way!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I loved the pricing- $5 per person and well worth it. I remember it was MUCH smaller as a child. We gave ourselves an hour and a half til museum closing time and we could have spent at least another hour as we were rushing through at the end. All of the exhibits were interesting and very well laid out. The only thing that I didn't like is that the old log cabin out front is not exhibited as it was when I was a child, but is now used as a library that the public can visit. They had exhibits on everything from history to agriculture, steam locamotives, vintage store fronts to an entire exhibit designed as a Victorian apartment. I would go again, but plan for at least 2 hours to see it all!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We spent a blistering hot July afternoon at the Huron County Museum and were blown away with the breadth of its collection. The collection really gives a sense of how immigrants came and flourished in Western Canada (as it was then known). From the working models of how lumber was split to the main street diorama, we enjoyed it all. While a small museum, there's a real opportunity to get a sense of how Huron County (and much of Ontario) was built. The well-appointed Victorian apartment and the Main Street (church, a barber shop, a dentist's practice, a milliner's shop and dress shop) were huge hits with the entire family. Definitely worth a visit. You can buy a combo with the Huron County jail.