“Very disapointing stay & would never reccomend”
Review of Hotel Bedford

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Goderich
Hotel Bedford
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I thought I would send you my thoughts on your hotel. We do a lot of travelling – mostly driving, and have stayed in a lot of hotels, motels, inns and B&B across Canada(Alberta to Newfoundland) and the US (from LA to Montana and over to Rhode Island to the tip of the Keys in Florida) and this was the most disappointing stay I have ever had. I rate your hotel at a low 2 star.

We look for feedback on places to stay in when we travel so we can enjoy our little trips and vacations. I only wish your web page had a comment section for your guest to comment on their stay. My comments below would definitely be posted there and I would state that this is not the Hotel to stay in such a beautiful town as Goderich. I think that not having a comment section on your web page may be a good thing because you probably not have any guests.

Your web states:

All are air conditioned and individually heat controlled. All rooms have a colour television and ultra-modern bathroom facilities including a shower, bath, heat lamp and an over-sized, Hollywood style make-up mirror.

This is not so.

To start when I had made the reservation, I told them I was handicapped. I have just had a total knee replacement and went from a walker to a cane on Monday past.
I was told you did not have a room on the main floor and did not have an elevator but there were only a few stairs. I thought OK, I can do a few stairs – BIG LIE. I had to walk up several stairs and to make matters worse there were two sets of several stairs.

You have no handicap parking in the front of the hotel, was told it is in the back. We couldn’t find the entrance in thegravel parking lot in the back and had to walk around to the front because there wasn't an available parking space in the front.

I asked for a large room due to my handicap and there were going to be 4 adults staying in the room and getting ready for a wedding at 3pm. I was told that the rooms were very roomy. BIG LIE - The room was very small and should have had only one bed.

Check in, according to a email the hotel sent me, is 2pm. Wrong!!!!
We got there directly after 2pm and our room was not ready. We had been setting up in the Livery Theatre next door for the wedding and wanted to get a quick shower and dress before the ceremony.

I asked if we could get in because I had to iron my husband’s clothes to remove wrinkles from packing. We got in the room at 2:10pm with the ladies making the beds and a man vacuuming and another cleaning the bathroom. A shower was out of the question. They finished the room at 2:30pm which gave 4 adults a half hour to get ready for a wedding in a cramped room with a wet carpet which I was wondering if it was what they were spraying on the carpet in the room. Now I think it was a spray to hide the wet smell from the air conditioner.

The air conditioning in the room is another story - There was a leaking & improperly working portable air conditioner in our room. We had to put a blanket on the floor to walk in the room because the carpet was soaking wet. This is so mickey-mouse for what you state “you will know that you are in a very special place; a place that has maintained the flavour of a by-gone era, and yet, kept pace with modern conveniences.
It amazes me for the price that you charge for your rooms you do not have the funds to install proper air conditioners.
The room was hot to sleep in due to the malfunctioning air conditioner and being cramped in there and we couldn’t open a window.

The bathroom isn’t large enough for more than one person. There were no other mirrors in the room and very difficult for two ladies to get ready beside the men. Where was the” Hollywood style make-up mirror”

The bathroom also had a large safety issue with a 2-3 inch step that we all kept tripping on because the bed was so close to the bathroom door you did not remember it was there because you couldn’t see it. I started to take a towel off the towel bar and it fell on the floor and all our clean towels ended up by the toilet. I would not get a shower in the morning because I didn’t want to wait for fresh towels and I would never use a towel that hits a bathroom floor in a hotel especially the rush that this one had been cleaned.
My husbands comment” If you want to change your mind in the bathroom you will have to back out because you can’t turn around in here.”

We went to the little dining room to enjoy a mini breakfast to discover orange flavoured water which I think was supposed to be orange juice. Everyone that came in while we were there did the same as we did. One sip and threw it in the garbage.

I hope the owners get to read this email and not only the manager. I don’t know if you even care about the comments that I have provided to you regarding your hotel but you can rest assured that the majority of the guest that travelled to the wedding that we attended at The Livery were told about our room. Guests that we did not tell came over to us and told how sad that we had to stay in a room like that and stated that we should have booked at the B&B where they were. We would have had a great stay.

I was surprised to see that the front desk was unattended when we went to the room in the late evening because I would have demanded another room on Saturday night. I found out Sunday morning there was a number I could call. Too late then!!!! I did however state to the lady at the front desk that I know it is not her fault for the condition of the room but if I had not provided my credit card when I made the reservation, I would had turned in the key to the room and walked away. She did however take off the $20 that I had to pay for the extra 2 people in the room. I don’t think I should have had to pay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Pelleys

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Although this hotel is over 100 years old it still has the charm it once did with an added boost of modern conviences while still holding on to the old tyme hospitality you experienced long ago when a hotel built a reputation on service and not advertising.
I've learnt that the hotel can only modernize within guidlines set out by the town because it is a historical building so those of you who are looking for a Best Western style of hotel with a pool and elevator had better look at a different hotel.
A more friendlier staff i have not encountered anywhere else.
Goderich has many different festivals,events and shopping so to be right in the middle of it all it is great to stay at this hotel situated on the square.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The bad:
The staircaise and hallways are grand, and it gave us the feeling that when we opened the door to our room we would be just as impressed... but sadly, we were not. The 'dusty rose' carpet and bedding is decades out of date, and with the furniture, well it just made the room look ugly. They would definitely improve the room greatly by investing in new beds, duvets and pillows. Unfortunately it looks like a cheap roadside motel room inside, and that's a shame because the rest of the hotel looks quite lovely. We couldn't open the blinds because our 'back room' looked onto a very unattractive view. The ceilings looked dirty and old and needed to either be painted or replaced as they have a yellowish colour to them which looked like old tobacco staines. Even the tv was from the 80's and we had this massive floor model air conditioning unit that we couldn't figure out how to operate to turn down or even turn off. Crazy.

The good:
On the positive side of things, the staff are very friendly and informative and the location of the hotel is perfect. The front desk area is very nice and the hallways are incredible. you feel like your in a grand mansion. I dont' know what happened to the rooms! I'm sure the rooms that look onto the square are better than what we had..... The bathrooms have clearly been upgraded (as they don't seem to 'fit' with the room at all and are very clean, unnecessarily large, and modern, which was nice).

I do believe that this place could be a very lovely hotel as it was back in the day I'm sure, if they were to just inject some money into the bedding at the very minimum, and upgrade the rooms that desperately need it.
Including a cooked breakfast instead of a continental would be a bonus, and worth a few more bucks, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for a hot breakfast around town there (though we did find a diner that was very busy but just what we were looking for).
The restaurant downstairs is a sports bar but the food was quite good and the staff were friendly. We were overall satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LolaRamona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goderich
Cedar Lodge Motel
#4 of 9 in Goderich
Dreamz Inn
Dreamz Inn
#1 of 9 in Goderich

Been to Hotel Bedford? Share your experiences!