“Great Place for Outdoors People”

Calabogie Peaks Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Calabogie
Ontario's Near North, Canada
“Great Place for Outdoors People”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

Just finished a wonderful week at Calabogie Peaks. I was wondering what the resort would be like after reading some of the reviews saying it was outdated. We found the resort to be wonderful! Its true that the units are not the newest, but everything worked like it should and the unit we stayed in was huge!!! We stayed in the Oaks which was very private and lots of windows overlooking the forest. It also had a wood burning fireplace which we loved. Tip: the Oaks runs from Sat-Sat other units are Fri-Fri. I can't say what the other units are like. One warning: there is only one smaller TV for the whole unit, no TVs in the bedrooms, which was ok with us.

The inside pool was smaller than some, but warm and with nice change rooms. The outside hot tub was nice.

I would recommend this resort for those who like quiet, fishing, canoeing and hiking.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Anniky99
Liane R, General Manager at Calabogie Peaks Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear Annicky99

Thank you for your feedback! We are very proud of the wide range of activities that we have for our guests and its lovely to hear that they are appreciated.

I hope to see you back at the resort soon.
Liane Reeves

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

Went with my girlfriend and about 5 others for a long weekend in February... we loved parking our car at the beginning of the weekend and barely touching it until we left... The pedestrian friendly mini ski-village feeling to the grounds makes everything feel accessible and user friendly. Outdoor activities were plentiful as we skied most of the time, went snowshoeing / x-country skiing, and tubed the bunny slope after a few pints on the apre-ski scene which was great (live music, friendly good looking bartenders, and big space with views of the mtn out of 20-ft tall windows. Definitely a low-key nightlife scene, we went with enough of a group that we made our own fun, and were pretty exhasuted afte rthe long day

"First tracks", the lift-side condo at the base of the mtn where a few friends stayed, was unreal... huge living space literally meters from the chairlift... apparentely more of these types of accomodations are coming on line soon, and I'd definitely look into that cause we are "get-up-and-go" type of folks when it comes to skiing

Hotel rooms felt brand new, views stellar (some of us looked up the ski trails, others out over the lake), comfortable furniture, good TVs and options. Canthooks restaurant was good, but we wanted some easier food options - the staff offered a few suggestions and also showed us the outdoor grills near the condos where we flipped a few burgers and had beers next to the skating rink.

I'd definitely go back because the staff is very nice and helpful

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Michael M

Thank you for your feedback! We are very proud of the new accommodation at the base of the mountain and its wonderful to hear that guests are enjoying it.

I hope to see you again next winter!
Liane Reeves
Niceville, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

I read great reviews on another site about this resort. We were very excited about going but found it nothing to be like what we imagined! We got in late and went to our room which was smaller than a regular hotel room with a double bed. At 5:30am we were awoken by the children in the room next to us. We could hear them cutting food on their plates let alone everything they said, good thing they spoke a different language. When we told the front that we'd like to move rooms because of this they informed us we couldn't switch room and gave me a towel to put under the door that connected our rooms (door wasn't the issue the thin walls were) and told us to keep the TV on. The only padded chair was missing a leg-- I found it behind the curtain right before we left which made me think our room really hadn't been cleaned (and when the snow melted and our balcony was full of garbage we knew it hadn't).

We had made arrangements for ski lessons -- 1 instructor for 10 people so we didn't get much instructions we fell down quite a bit I banged up my hip and my husband has a bruised rib. When we checked out they wouldn't give us our money back. We decided we didn't care it was more important to just get out of there.

Canthooks was very expensive when we had a little bit of what was left on the breakfast buffet it still cost us $32 dollars. DInners there were OK but expensive. Desserts were the best. I think maybe the chef is a pastry chef.

When you ask for directions anywhere they tell you it's 20-30 minutes. Which turns into a hour and half. It's very far out of the way of anything. Things "in town" Calabogie are open and closed whenever their owners want them to be- not very dependable so you have to drive to renfrew which is a pretty drive but I didn't expect to drive that far.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mcculldl
Liz M, General Manager at Calabogie Peaks Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Dear McCulldl

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us.

I am hoping you would be able to email myself at lreeves@calabogie.com so as to discuss your points further as I am concerned by a few points that you have raised,

I would like to address the maintenance issues you raised. We do not have any rooms with a double bed and all of our rooms are larger than the industry standard so if you could help me with a room number I will look into fixing the issue of the noise coming from the room beside you.

I had a look at our ski lesson sheets for December as our policy is not to have as many as ten people in a lesson. I didn't see any lessons with ten people in them so if you could remember even the instructors name I would like to raise your concern with them.

I passed along your feedback to our Executive Chef about the breakfast prices and your positive feedback about the pastries she thanks you for both.

Again I would hope that you could email me directly so that I can address your concerns.

Kind Regards
Charlottetown, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

My husband and I are spending a weekend away at the Calabogie Peaks. The room is spacious enough, but there is only one chair in the room. Normally I would expect to see two chairs and a table, or a small sofa and a table to relax when not lying in bed. There is no fridge or microwave, which I would normally expect for a hotel at this price point.

The room is spacious, and the bed comfortable. We paid for a room with a balcony and the balcony is huge, but again, no tables/chairs etc on the balcony. Hard to enjoy the balcony with no where to sit.

The bathroom is small but clean and functional. Problems: No counter space and no water pressure.

We've had problems with the temperature, the room was way too hot the first night here, so much so that it was hard to sleep. Turned off the heat, and after 24 hours still quite warm in here!

We do love the outdoor hot tub, probably the best part of the place although crowded this evening.

NOT a fan of the restaurant, Canthooks. Went for a buffet breakfast this morning and had lukewarm scrambled eggs, fried potatoes. Sausage tasted funny and the bacon was chewy. And it cost about $32 for the two of us!!!!! Would not recommend having breakfast here.

Had dinner at Canthooks - again very pricy and the results are mixed. My pasta was not cooked properly and the shrimp was overcooked, the sauce too strong for a seafood dish. Husband had the beef tenderloin which was very good. However at these prices would eat elsewhere such as the Blackbird Cafe about 20 kms up the road. There is a restaurant not far up the road that looks like it serves a good breakfast.

Although the staff here is super friendly and helpful, did not feel that we got value for our money. First time here, and probably last.

Room Tip: We wanted a room with kitchen and balcony, but it was one or the other. There are lots of chalets, a...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank weistk
Niagara, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Get getaway for a day. We buried my Brother in Mt St Patrick. Friends stayed at the Manor. The staff was incredible, food great as was the pool and hot tub. And solitude. Very quiet in October 28th. Only thing the heating was not great. Apparently boilers not on full at that time of year. The comforters were quit warm for the bed and they sent up more blankets.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Riverrider81
ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Stayed here recently for business, nice grounds, nice location, main lodge is great and I am told by others many of the condo units are fantastic. We stayed in O,Brien House. It is three bedroom (recently renovated from offices) chalet with 2 baths, and a common area with gas fireplace. The decor was lovely the space looked great and at the base of the ski hill feet from a chair lift. HOWEVER - It had no heat in most of the chalet 1 bedroom had baseboard electric, nothing in the other two. The gas fireplace would not come on, a call to the front desk was a laugh a minute, we had to find an outside line as you cant call from the rooms direct. The front desk was in disbelief that we had no heat. finaly she relented and a workman was dispatched. 90 minutes later a fellow arrived with two antique space heaters, we were so afraid of their reliability that we shut them off at night when we slept. That was our heat for a three day stay. No hot water in one of the showers rendering the second bathroom effectively useless. I am a big guy - the shower is a 30 inch wide model and the shower spout hit me mid face. It was impossible to turn and barely possible to raise your arm in the narrow confines of this shower.
There is not a desk to be found in the place - tough to stay caught up with the office working from your lap on a single bed. Pillows from #&(( ruined any hope of a good nights sleep. Food was included in our conference package - it was repetitive, frequently warmish to cold and generally uninspiring. They served the exact same breakfast for three mornings in a row.
since you must travel of the beaten path to reach this resort it needs to be a real gem of destination - it was not. I hope they get it sorted out before ski season as it does have potential. I would never recomend a professional conference be considered at this location based on my experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank curioustravelor
So California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Stayed here in October after skiing there last year. Both seasons were great for the kids. I liked it becaue there is somethingfor everyone and it allowed me to relax by the fire or unwind in the spa. Not pretentious but good solid comfort with large rooms and nice staff. Set in beautiful county filled with wildlife.. we will be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PALM_8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabogie
Days Inn & Conference Centre Renfrew
#3 of 4 in Calabogie
Pine Lodge
Pine Lodge
#1 of 1 in Bristol

Been to Calabogie Peaks Hotel? Share your experiences!