“Good respite!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Calabogie B&B and Inns
Tillamook, Oregon
“Good respite!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were on our way to Ottawa, when we decided that we wanted one more cabin night for the end of our 12 day vacation. We drove by Jocko Beach and immediately had to stop. It has a motel, but the rustic cabins on the lakefront are what caught our eyes. They are rustic; however, there is a powerful portable heater in the cabins, which kept us toasty even though it got fairly cold at night. Our cabin was equipped with refrigerator, a 2 burner hotplate, sink with cold only water, table and chairs, couch and bed. It has sufficient pots, pans, silverware, cups, etc. so that one can actually cook here, as we did. There is an indoor toilet and sink, but the showers are in the "bathhouse" several cabins away, with hot water. The cabins each have a screened-in porch with a picnic table in it. There are chairs for lounging by the lake. Canoes and kayak use is free. There is internet access and I had no problem with my PC, but my husband found the signal too weak for his IPad. We found our stay relaxing and just how we wanted to spend our last day before traveling to Quebec City to fly back to Oregon. A person just has to be comfortable with cold-only water, no TV and having it a bit rustic. There is always the motel if you want more amenities.

Room Tip: Any of the cabins have a lake view. The motel is across the road and is more removed from the lake.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TillyRambler

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ottawa
Reviewed March 15, 2013

When my son was participating in a freestyle skiing competition at Calabogie, we made a last-minute decision to stay over rather than drive back to Ottawa in the evening and return the next morning. We were lucky enough that manager Lenore offered us a lakeside cabin when all other accommodations in the area were sold out. It was comfortable, pizza was delivered from down the road, satellite TV provided. We will book well ahead of time for the next competition. Looks great for summer stayovers too.

Room Tip: Cabin on the lake if summer time.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HockeyDad54
ontario
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed 2 nights, midweek, unplanned, in August.
Location is convenient and beautiful.
There are small cabins to rent on one side of the resort and motel type rooms on the other side (as well as a house, I think).
I stayed in the motel type rooms. They are fully equipped with fridge, stove, microwave, dishes, air conditioner, coffee etc etc. The rooms are recently renovated and clean but not thoroughly clean - - the floor was not vaccumed at all - maybe just an oversight as the carpet wasn't THAT dirty.
The bathroom did not have any soap or shampoo at all - not even the mini travel size that most motels/hotels have. Maybe that was an oversight too because it's the first motel/hotel/resort I've ever stayed at that didn't provide this stuff. This was also the only motel I've stayed at that had a "common room" - - one of the motel rooms was converted into a comfortable place for people to spend time outside their motel rooms - it had books, games, couches/chairs/tables, full kitchen, bathroom etc -- it was very nice and SUCH a nice idea. It didn't get used while I was there but I can see it being appreciated on a rainy day !!! or if several friends rented a couple rooms.
The owners were very nice, very pleasant and helpful. Canoes and kayaks were included with the stay and that was a pleasant surprise.
Overall I thought the whole place was terrific, and maybe the best place to stay in the area, if one isn't too hung up on fussy ammenities and details.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank journerr
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I just got back from a 5 night stay at Jocko's. A friend and I booked one of the chalet's on the beach and it was fantastic. Well equipped, clean, the beach is beautiful, the swimming fantastic and free access to canoe's and kayaks. Our hosts, Joe and Lenore are friendly and knowledgeable about the area. We're looking forward to booking a winter getaway this winter as the ski hill is only a 5 minute drive from Jocko's.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in the summer, book a chalet (fully equipped) or if you like something a little...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Nestleton, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Spent the May 24 weekend at Jockos. Rented there cabin by the water. It was the most relaxing weekend I have had in a long while. Sat night some of the younger ones started to get a little nosier and the owner was there to quiet them down. They have great sandy beach,swimming, fire pits horse shoes kayaks, canoes all free with your stay, boat rentals with new 9.9 motors. Very family orientated . The owners Joe and Lenora were absolutely wonderful people and i would recommend this place to anyone. My wife and I also rode in on motorcycles and they were more than happy to accommodate us.

Room Tip: Cabins and Chalets by the water and a motel across the road, all with a view of the lake
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2011

In May a friend and I stayed at Jocko’s Beach Motel. The rooms were very clean and affordable. We had everything we needed for our stay (a fridge, a stove top, two cozy beds, a television, and a full bathroom). The night manager was extremely helpful and she gave us several great recommendations on nearby restaurants and entertainment options. We topped off our evening with a fire in the pit down in front of the lake. If you are looking for great value and place to reconnect with nature I would highly recommend Jocko’s.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Rented a 14ft fishing boat with 9.9HP Yamaha outboard from Jockos for 4 days. On day two I had 3 children in the boat along with one other adult besides myself. When I went to accelerate the engine, the revolutions went very high and the boat would not move forward or backward. We were in relatively deep water in Calabogie Lake. We had to row about two miles back into shore part of the time in darkness. When I called Jockos that night the lady I spoke was very apologetic and helpful. The next day the owner came to our cottage and replaced a small part which I have subsequently found to be associated with what is called a spun hub prop. He stated we hit the prop. I know I did not and the prop was in mint shape showing no appearance of having hit anything. Two days later when I went to settle my bill I was charged an additional $30 plus tax for the part and no consideration was given that we had been without the use of the boat for 18 hours ie. I was charged a full day rental. I am not impressed with the owner Joe and how he handled this at all. He continued to claim that I struck the prop and this is why the hub spun. Oh yeah ... when I came to their office to pay my bill for the rental at 8:45am Sat morning, the office wasn't open so I called the number as indicated on the office door and when the owner Joe eventually walked over the first thing he said to me was, "A man can't even get in a morning swim". Great way to treat your customers ... I guess in line with making your customer pay for the repairs on crappy outboards. I won't rent a boat from these people next year and perhaps their whole 'resort' business is just as dubious.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank theVman666
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabogie
Days Inn & Conference Centre Renfrew
#1 of 3 in Arnprior
The Egan Inn
The Egan Inn
#1 of 3 in Eganville

Been to Jocko's Beach Resort and Motel? Share your experiences!