“Horrible Customer Service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calabogie
Calabogie Lodge Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Calabogie
Pembroke, Ontario, Canada
“Horrible Customer Service”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I want to start out by saying we are not complainers and are quite easy to please. We do not expect a lot but I feel it is important to write this review and warn people because our experience was horrible. It started out with us booking our trip over the phone and they informed us that we will be recieving our confirmation in an email. A few days had gone by and we still did not recieve anything back so my wife called the resort back to notify them. They told us that we did not book a stay with them, which we did and the lady on the other end was quite rude. Then it was found out that they had the wrong first name (mistakes happen) and then this was followed by them saying we had booked a 2 bedroom (which we didn't) we booked a 1 bedroom. The receptionist then went on to tell us the rules again about the resort but at the end this time she informed us of a $500 damage deposit (which we were not told the first time we booked) . My wife informed them that this should have been told to us when we had booked and she replied with "it notifies you in your confirmation", which we did not recieve, that was the reason why we were calling. Plus by the time you recieve the confirmation your credit card has already been charged for half of your trip. We were renting a room for $185 for the night so we felt as if requiring $500 deposit should be told to you before booking. I also found it quite odd that they charge you the full price of the room even if you were to cancel 48hrs before your booking (things happen in life and that is 2 days notice). We then arrived at the resort and the rooms were quite nice. When we went to check out more drama occured at the front desk, they checked our room before giving us our deposit back and she asked for my debit card to put the money back on, but informed me that we owe them $10 for the key we lost (which did not happen at all) and they automatically take a non-refundable $35 for an amenities fee that we were not told about. We stayed for the one night and did not use the pool, hot tubs, etc. and yet again I feel that this should be told to the customer. After an arguement with the same lady at the front desk we recieved the full $500 deposit back. The way this resort treats their customers is unbelievable and made for the worst stay we have ever had! I would strongly recommend people to not support this business, as we were treated with complete disrespect.

Room Tip: Don't Go
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank Phil B
CalabogieLodge, Manager at Calabogie Lodge Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
- We are truly sorry for the negative experience that you received when you confirmed a one night rental for accommodations at the resort.
- There was a mistake in the original reservation which caused much of the confusion. This was part of the confusion surrounding the $30 amenity which is NOT charged on room rentals only for time share members who come in on exchange. Again this was caused by the original reservation not being booked properly. We remedied this as soon as we realized the mistake.
- It is standard practice when checking into any hotel that your credit card number is taken for security damages purposes. No hotel allows people to check in without a credit card as security. In fact many hotels take much more than the $500 security without relaying that to the guest. We have advertised our resort on many travel sites and our policies are listed including the security deposit. We apologize for not clearly explaining the rental policies and procedures at the time of your confirmation.
- A 50% non refundable deposit is taken to confirm your reservations. If cancellation occurs within 48 hours prior to check in, the total amount is non refundable. We feel this is a fair compromise between the needs of our guests and the lost revenue from cancellations. Again, this is superior to standard industry practice.
- Notwithstanding the above it is clear that our customer service in this case was sub par and we apologize for this. We are working to ensure staff members are helpful , courteous and efficient at all times. Clearly this did not happen in this case.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Brantford
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We were told a new owner bought this resort three years ago and wants to spend $750,000 to bring it back to a gold rating with RCI. Don't knock the resort if you have issues with the restaurant. The restaurant is leased space from the resort and should not reflect what you think of the resort. We did not use the restaurant.
We did have issues and plenty of them. You usually have something wrong with a resort and we are not ones to complain about them unless we are asked (which we were) or terribly put out. My family and I come from a Gold Crown resort and know what to expect.

When we arrived we were told we had a one bedroom which was also in the email I received from the resort which was my fault for not following up on that before we got there. When you come from a two bedroom gold crown resort you should expect a two bedroom even if it is not a gold crown resort. I was told it was RCI's problem. When we arrived the staff was not very friendly or forward coming with informaiton about the resort. We were told here is your binder, keys and map of where your unit is. Is that because we are from another resort?
When we got to our unit we were pleased at first. The first thing we noticed was the tub was full of body hair after i showered because someone before us had decided to shave themselves. Epic cleaning fail on the cleaning staff's part.
The hot water heater is set to maximum hot (I saw this with my own eyes) which I found out the hard way. There is no energy efficient light bulbs anywhere. I noticed this when one blew and I changed it.
As being there at Christmas time the patio door drapes would blow from the wind coming in, a large draft sock would help that on the patio doors where the drapes were moving. Not enough place settings to run a full load of dishes in the dish washer. This all reflects on the money that could be saved on maintenance fees which the RCI owners could save at this resort.
There is no inventory list when you arrive or damage list on arrival either. That is why we did not use the toilet with the cracked toilet bowl in that bathroom either. I didn't want to be charged for it if it broke.
Windows and screens were filthy and splattered with stain or sealer for the wood. the cupboard doors are ready to fall off. I didn't want to use some of them. The thermostat is not placed in the proper position in relation to the fireplace causing the rest of the unit to become cold. It should be placed on the slanted wall near the hall lightswithch. The fire extinguisher is too high for a preteen to use in case of fire. Adults should be able to supervise their children not to touch it unless in case of emergency.
We did not want to use the jetted tub because of the hair in the other bathroom. We could smell the cabbage rolls that the next unit was cooking through the vent in the jetted tub for two nights in a row. So there is no separation in the tub area behind the wall. We could also hear someone snoring.
The bed was not a queen size and if it was it is a really small queen. pillows are hard, comforter has seen better days and the towels are scratchy. My wife had the bed, I had the pull out and my daughter slept on the floor on a crash pad we had brought. The unit needs more side tables and side chair with ottoman. We were putting our stuff on the floor around the lodge. The dining room table needs to be replaced as it is warped and wobbly.
The infrared sauna worked half of the time in the pool area. The hot tub was scalding, the tiles around the pool are filthy and the pool cover looked ripped and was laying in the pool for most of the week. The patio furniture is rusty and the washroom door in the pool area does not close properly.
I did make one phone call to have the steps salted and it was done right away. After that all the units had their own bag of salt outside their door.
We thought the activities were priced too high and to have to pay for boat rentals when it is the season for it I think is a no no. I can see paying a deposit.
The bbq was filthy and you could smell propane very slightly when it was off. The fridge in the unit was set to max which froze our food.

90% of these things were listed with the resort when they called us to come down to see what our thoughts were on getting the resort back to a gold crown resort again. The main thing it has going for it is location and secondly a new owner. We loved the area. as my daughter learned to ski for the first time with a four minute drive to calabogie peaks. We went to Renfrew one day and spent our Christmas vacation there at the lodge. I think I rather put up with the inlaws....lol. The cleaning crew needs to be in touch with the maintenance crew which needs to be in touch with the owner. Maybe some brain storming sessions. The majority are easy fixes. Customer service being one of them. It was the first thing we saw that left a lasting impression for the rest of the trip even though when we went down for a swim they were friendly.
Would I go again.....probably not. Would I recommend the lodge.....probably not. My family Christmas is today and they are chomping at the bit to see how it was. Some of them are from Ottawa and think Calabogie has a good name. I still had to pay $195 to either Calabogie Lodge or RCI for booking it. I wanted to give the vacation some time to sink in before I wrote the review. I still have to fill out RCI's review.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a two bedroom unit if that is what you get at your home resort.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Mike H
CalabogieLodge, Resort Coordinator at Calabogie Lodge Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Calabogie Lodge Resort! You are corrrect in advising that we are not a Gold Crown Resort. Although we have been rated as a Silver Crown Resort, current comments submitted by RCI exchanges are placing us closing to receiveing Gold Crown status once again!

Capital improvements occuring in the next three years at Calabogie Lodge will definately allow us to exceed our current status. Our plans are to continue to make Calabogie Lodge the #1 vacation destination in this area. With continued support from our resort members and new visitors, we will continue to offer a positive vacation experience.

Your comments\feedback have been taken into consideration and our Owner Services Department thank you for taking the time to complete the survey when you stayed at the resort. We hope you enjoyed your gift card!

Thank You!
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed at Calabogie on Christmas week. We were welcomed by staff, (especially Charlene) who provided us with activities available in the resort and the area. Our two bedroom unit was spacious, warm and cozy reminiscent of a log cabin. We liked the comfortable beds, large kitchen and gas fireplace. The view of the lake was magnificent.

My family skiied, snowboarded and hiked. The skiing was limited at first due to lack of snow, but we were dumped 8-10 inches the evening we arrived and additional trails were opened. Calabogie Peaks offered 10% off when purchasing lift tickets on-line. Prices were reasonable $25 - $30. My sons enjoyed snowboarding despite the absence of a large terrain park. They spent some time on small terrain park near the bunny hill.

We hiked the Eagle's Nest trail. This was a nice and manageable walk through the woods and ends at the top off the mountain in a sacred, native american grounds.

We went to the pool, hot tub and sauna daily. The pool is one of the warmest I have ever been experienced. The game room had a pool table, board games, ping pong and darts.

After 2 days of skiing, we visited Ottawa, which is about an hour away and we took a tour of Parliament. The boys liked the Peace Tower and the magnificent views of the city. We also visited two other fabulous museums, The Museum of Civilization where we saw a film in IMAX theatre on the Canadian Pacific Railway and many exhibits including amazing totem poles. The Museum of Nature fascinated us with the largest bird collection in North America, gemstones, and fossils of different animals...

We were disappointed that we could not skate on Rideau Canal since the water was not frozen. We ate at a mall near the Westin Hotel on Wellington Blvd.....which offered a variety of cuisines.

We spent most of the days eating in, so we are unable to comment on the restaurants in the area. We made poutine, french fries with gravy and cheese curds. There is a small grocery store with all the basic items and a great bakery where we had apple and cherry turnovers. We were able to resist the cinnamon buns.

We highly recommend Calabogie Lodge Resort for the rustic and warm hospitality evoked by the accomodations and the staff. The serenity provided by the view of the lake is unforgettable. We hope to return in the summer. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank marie c
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Taking in the local area amenities and visiting Ottawa are exactly what we want our guests to experience. As a family oriented resort, we hope that you 'all' come back again and if not in the winter, summer can offer you so much more!

This is a great place to have family fun!

Thank you for your comments!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2011

great room, lovely view and the beds are outstanding

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mo p
CalabogieLodge, Resort Coordinator at Calabogie Lodge Resort, responded to this review, December 9, 2011
Thank you for your feedback!

We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you visit again soon. Feedback whether negative or positive provides us information on how to continuously improve our beautiful facility.

Again, thank you!!!
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2011

The unit we had was large, clean and very comfortable. Each of the bedrooms had lots of floor and closet space. The service from the friendly staff was excellent. Everytime we had a question, they were there with an answer immediately (sometimes you stay in places where you can't find anyone to answer questions).
We had great breakfasts in the very unique restaurant with the stunning view of the lake. We won't spoil the surprise, but the restaurant has a very unusual feature in it. The food was very good and reasonably priced.
For activities, we enjoyed skating on the frozen lake as well as skiiing within minutes. We took our kids skiiing at Calabogie Peaks which was only a 5 minute drive away. We originally thought of staying at the Peaks but it turns out Calabogie Lodge is a much better value given how close it is.
We can't wait to try it out this summer and enjoy the unfrozen water this time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank gmcnab
Ottawa
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We spent two nights at the Calabogie Lodge in August 2011, and will likely be back as it is a great alternative to renting a cottage.

Our one bedroom unit was clean and spacious, and fairly quiet. Having a jetted tub was a definite plus.

As is the case with most of the units, we had a good view of the lake, and a large balcony from which to enjoy that view.

The grounds were well maintained.

I don’t know if housekeeping is supposed to come by to change the towels (they did not), but the units come with their own washer and dryer allowing you to clean your towels at the same time that you do your personal laundry.

Our kitchen was adequately equipped.

The only negative from our perspective was that if you do not feel like cooking, the on-site restaurant is closed at the beginning of the week, and even on Friday and Saturday night the posted menu looked like it was more suited for lunch than for supper.

We have often rented cottages in the past. This will represent a viable alternative, as it comes with many of the conveniences of a hotel such as a pool and internet, while providing us with access to a lake and water toys such as paddleboats and kayaks.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank EFOttawa
CalabogieLodge, Manager at Calabogie Lodge Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding our Resort!

We value feedback from our guests.

Again Thank You!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We recently stayed at Calabogie Lodge with my two kids, 9 and 11 years old. I have to say that the room and hotel surpassed all our expectations. Our unit had a full kitchen and living room with two bathrooms and two bedrooms. The master bedroom was completely new with a king size bed. The balcony from our bedroom had a beatiful lakefront view.
There were many activities for the kids including the saltwater pool (with adjacent sauna and hot tub), swimming in the lake, sandy beach with play area, tennis court, games room as well as a kids club for our younger son. There was also free use of watercraft such as canoe, paddle boats and kayaks as well as bicycles.
The staff were excellent; always polite and attentive to our questions. For the days when we didn't feel like cooking we ate at the restaurant several times and found the food tasty and inexpensive. Eating at the restaurant was particlarly enjoyable as it has patio deck directly facing the lake.
The only mild negative comment was from my husband who found that the exercise room was small and could be improved.
Overall we had a fantastic experience only 1 hour away from Ottawa and we plan on returning soon. They have some time shares available for sale and we are seriously considering purchasing a one week interval.

Room Tip: All rooms have lakeviews but ask for the ones closest to the lake
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Joanna P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabogie
Days Inn & Conference Centre Renfrew
#4 of 4 in Calabogie
Country Squire Motel
Country Squire Motel
#1 of 3 in Arnprior

Been to Calabogie Lodge Resort? Share your experiences!