All reviews mersey river haddock chowder dining room nova scotia green space caesar salad surf turf full bath outdoor patio mini fridge walking distance to downtown stay there again historic building adirondack chairs wooden floors local beer
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I chose Liverpool as a staging post to visit the SW of Nova Scotia and happened across Lanes.
The Inn is a gluing together of the old front half of a property and a 'motel' style add-on at the rear. The restaurant has been recently renovated and done well to match the style of the old part. The food was very good.
Niggly item - if you've spent thousand of dollars to upgrade your restaurant why skimp on the small items? The condiment sets on the tables were road side cafe type, common glass shakers that you'd see in Denny's. Why not proper pepper grinder and salt cellar?
The room was very 1970 / 1980 motel style, but comfortable and clean.
There is no elevator so if you get a room on the upper floor, you have to carry you luggage up rickety a staircase.
Staff friendly.
This might seem negative, but I liked it a lot and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Tony F
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I visited Nova Scotia in May of this year and Lane's was our first stop!!! Could not have picked a better location- loved Liverpool!- or a better place to stay. We were there at start of high season- remodel of bar had just happened- beautiful - and were there for the annual Theatre Festival- the opening party of which was held at Lane's!! Such fun!
The staff was extraordinary!! Gave me access to their computer when our laptop would not connect! Wait staff in bar/restaurant was amazing!!!!
Food was some of the best on our trip! We honestly just loved it!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank seattlehillhouse
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My daughter and I spent two nights in this lovely historical inn,
we really enjoyed the friendly service we received, not to mention the wonderful view of the Mersey river!! Our room was clean and comfortable. exactly the time my daughter and I needed. We enjoyed a delicious meal ( the chowder is one of a kind ) we will definitely be returning to Lanes and cannot wait to see the new pub and restaurant area that is currently under renovation.Great place with very knowledgeable and pleasant staff

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank blaizefly
LanesPrivateerInn, Front Office Manager at Lane's Privateer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review, blaizefly! We love all your fantastic comments, and hope you're in to see us again soon!

The new Restaurant/Pub should be open May 13, and we're so excited to show everyone. (With so many changes on the horizon, we promise the chowder will remain the same.)

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My husband and stayed here for one night April 24th, found hair in our bed. They moved us to another room which had a big stain in the corner by the bathroom which looked like to me someone had gotten sick. They were suppose to give a discount on our room and ended up charging us more than what the room was. On the bright side, they gave us a $25. gift certificate for dinner., but we won't be returning to this Inn.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the bed and the cleanliness of the entire room before you book.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia D
LanesPrivateerInn, Owner at Lane's Privateer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We take your concerns very seriously and I assure you that both housekeeping and our laundry service have been spoken to and changes will be made.

The stain to which you refer is from bleach that was spilled on the carpet. On the upside, Lane's Privateer Inn is currently undergoing an extensive renovation which includes many guest rooms receiving a complete renovation with wide plank wooden flooring and new bathrooms. We are also creating a new dining/ pub which will overlook the Mersey River, a wine tasting room, enhanced retail space for Snug Harbour Books & Gourmet and more conference and wedding facilities. This will be completed by early summer 2014.

You actually did receive a discount on your room along with the $25 voucher. Perhaps you didn't factor in that there is tax on accommodations. We are sorry that you did not get to experience the restaurant. We serve the freshest, locally sourced food and are renowned for our freshly baked breads, haddock cakes & beans or maple sausage for breakfast.
We do hope that you will reconsider and visit us again.
Susan Lane
General Manager~ Lane's Privateer Inn

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My husband and I spent a very pleasant evening and overnight this past weekend. Our room provided everything we needed and we really liked having an outside entrance and a room with river views on two sides. We enjoyed a very tasty dinner and breakfast with awesome service. Nice to find locally roasted coffee as well as local beers and wines. Great to have a choice of areas to eat or enjoy a drink. Lots to look at in the book store and the gourmet shop. Next time we will bring our bikes to explore local trails or kayaks to explore the river.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple