“A home away from home!”

Lane's Privateer Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We've just returned from a trip out to Nova Scotia, where we were visiting family in Liverpool and in other parts of the province. We used Lane's as our home base, and by the time we left, it felt like we were leaving home! The staff was incredibly friendly and personable. Service was friendly and attentive throughout. The food- WOW. Almost everything on the menu is either locally sourced or homemade! Even the nacho chips and sandwich bread are homemade! The fish and seafood tastes like it was just taken off the boat... and actually it pretty much was. I had never tried NS wine, and really enjoyed the wine tasting that was offered. There was a microbrew offered that was locally produced (Hell Bay) and I'm going to miss it! Yummy. The rooms (we had a few different rooms as we were visiting family off and on, and checked back in a few times) were VERY clean and really, really comfortable. We had nice comfy duvets on the beds and I was thrilled to find blackout curtains. The breakfast is complimentary (at least 3 options on the menu are, anyway), and it was delicious. All in all, I can not recommend this hotel highly enough! It was just delightful, with charm and character that can not be equaled by a hotel chain such as the Best Western that has recently opened up in Liverpool. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lisabradleyruns

Reviewed January 26, 2011

As a very busy, I looked to have some rest time in a nice location at the end of last year… I live in NB but never visited the south of Halifax… So I headed to Liverpool for three days. I just add I am not a relative of the owners, even I would like to be friend with !! All staff in this inn is absolutely charming, helpful… and talented. From the chef (amazing dishes and best ingredients, Surf & Turf that I didn’t knew, Benedict eggs, the best I ever ate…), to the sommelier (a pretty young lady who found incredible wines, some from my homeland even unknown from most of french people)… and to the waiters very busy but always smily (even for preparing a lonely cup of tea before the dinner…). The family of owners has created here a very cozy ambiance and you feel like at home. There is a gourmet shop and a bookshop where I did some shopping. Some shelves where less full because of the previous Christmas time, but I found some interesting local cooking books (because of my job, good pretext…) and delicatessen…

I read others reviews and some about the « old » comfort. Yes, it is not a new hotel, and so what ? … I think that I have standard expectation about comfort, good bed and of course clean room and bathroom. They were. This inn has a soul. And that is the most important for me, compared to impersonal franchise hotels… and for a better price. The suroundings of the inn is nice too, for a stroll, a sporty walk, or a drive north or south where I discoverd wild beaches, certainly full at the summer time. And the city is really amazing with large victorian houses… I came back home with good memories of my stay here. If one day I must start my own inn, I would like to design the twin of this one !

Thanks Lane’s family and all !

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank LuceNB
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Stayed for one night whilst touring part of Nova Scotia. Reception staff were amazing. Very friendly, incredibly helpful and amazingly warm and welcoming.

We were initially taken to a room in the extension to the main building but my husband and I did not find this room particularly appealing and so we asked to change to a room in the main building. We were given two to choose from and opted for the one on the front corner. This room was just wonderful, full of old world charm and character. The room itself was spacious, clean, warm and comfortable, with air conditioning if required. The en suite bathroom provided for all our needs and was clean and functional. Although this room was beside the main road we were not bothered by road traffic or noise.

We had an evening meal in the main restaurant and enjoyed a lovely quiet, relaxing meal and chatted with a couple of other guests. The menu choice was varied and we thoroughly enjoyed our roast chicken salad sandwich with cranberry mayo.

Breakfast - hot, cooked to order, as well as tea/coffee and toast was included in the room price and was an excellent start to the day.

If we found ourselves in this area of Nova Scotia I would definitely stay here again and I would also highly recommend it to others for overnight accommodation/evening meal etc. The only advice I would give, would be to take a room inside the main building of the property because these were wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Britowl
Reviewed February 11, 2010

My wife and I stayed here at a friend's request when we were touring the south shore of Nova Scotia. We're glad we did because the hospitality and FOOD was fantastic! It's a very old building with a lot of history so it's kind of quiet and offers a slower pace, much like the town itself.
The riverfront view is very nice but finding the inn takes a couple of turns off the main highway. It's basically in the center of town.
We were told to try the fish n' chips and they didn't disappoint... but the wife insisted on the seafood chowder. Very yummy.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank billcosby45
Reviewed November 26, 2009

My girlfriend and I visited their restaurant last week (but did not stay at the hotel). The food was some of the best I've had in a long time, the prices were very reasonable and the staff friendly. I had the chicken quesadilla and my girlfriend the tortellini. We'll definitely go back next time we're in the area.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jbrnd
Reviewed May 23, 2009

We called in at the Visitor Information Centre in Liverpool - my goodness they were so helpful! They showed us photos of various accommodations in the area, calling a few to ascertain vacancies etc, and were extremely pleasant. We opted for Lane's because it was just over the bridge from there, and the river was pretty and we had been driving all day. The lady at the front desk was wonderful, couldn't fault her friendly helpful attitude. Its the kind of reception you hope for in your dreams. Alas, our room was needing refurbishment. The main door into the room had such a big gap under it, mice could easily have got in, and the bathroom door was jamming on the floor. There are large pipes running around the ceilings for sprinkler system - that didn't worry us, it was part of the quaint feeling! But the very basics, like a hairdryer and coffee maker would have made such a difference, and maybe some sheers at the windows, because other guests walk right outside your window so if you want to relax on the bed and watch a movie, everyone can (and did) stare straight in at you! The bed was very comfortable and the linen extremely clean. Unfortunately we were kept awake through the night by some kind of ventilation system which ran under the room. It seems to clonk and whirr every ten minutes. We did mention this to the staff next morning. The attached restaurant/pub are just lovely. We had a really nice dinner and the waiting staff were friendly and attentive. And the breakfast was wonderful too - better than you could ever get at a chain hotel. We had a proper cooked breakfast with juice and coffee, all included in the price. And they are pet friendly. We would stay there again but request an upper room (even if they have live music because we'd actually enjoy that - rock, country or jazz - it wouldn't bother us - ok rap music would definitely bother us!) Hopefully Lane's can add a few extras to their rooms in the coming year - a little fridge would be wondeful too!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pacificislandjane
LanesPrivateerInn, Front Office Manager at Lane's Privateer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Hello Pacificislandjane! Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry about the door - a couple of the outside rooms have doors that shrink or expand depending on the weather. The wood looks lovely, but it sure is a nuisance. Very sorry about the system bothering you, too! Based on the time of your stay, I would say it was our sub-pump system, which has since been fixed. Since you stayed, all of our rooms have hairdryers (some are tricky to find - they're in desk drawers or bedside bureaus rather than in the bathroom), and many of our rooms have in-room coffee makers, refrigerators, and microwaves. Hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future! All of our rooms are individually appointed and very different, so we'd love to take you on a tour and find you one you'd like the best.

Reviewed June 18, 2008

Lanes Privateer Inn is probably the only place to stay in the area of Liverpool, Nova Scotia. It's about halfway between Halifax and Yarmouth.

The good news is that they have a restaurant that is actually very nice; the food is good, nothing great, but it is convenient and good considering the location. They also have a very nice little book shop with high quality cookbooks, art publications, and high quality cards, and a very nice gift shop handling high quality coffee, Crabtree & Evelyn bath products, etc. There are tables in the book shop where you can choose to eat or have coffee. It's wonderful.

The bad news, however, is that the room was abysmal. It was awful. The bedspread and curtains were straight from the 50's, very dark, dingy, and depressing. Who knows when they were last cleaned. The furniture was old. The bedding was old and awful. A plank was nailed over the vanity beneath the sink, no cabinet or anything. There was no hairdryer.

The price was too high considering the dinginess of the room.

1  Thank TakesTrips

Hello TakesTrips! Sorry that this is such an outdated response to your review, but I wanted to apologize for your experience at the Inn, and let you know that in the three years since you stayed with us, we have updated all of our rooms. As you can see from the photos above, we have brand new bedding, new furniture, renovated bathrooms, hairdryers in every room, and many rooms have in-room coffee makers, refrigerators, and microwaves. Granted, many of the rooms still have carpeting, but our King rooms have been entirely renovated with hardwood flooring. Even the restaurant has a new staff, with an incredibly talented Executive Chef and Sous Chef. I understand you may not have reason to stop by Liverpool again, but if you do, we hope you'll consider stopping by to take a tour. We'd love to show you our improvements!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Liverpool
White Point Beach Resort
White Point Beach Resort
#10 of 49 in Southwest Nova Scotia
Best Western Plus Liverpool Hotel & Conference Centre
The Quarterdeck Beachside Villas and Grill
The Quarterdeck Beachside Villas...
#1 of 1 in Summerville Centre
Morton House Inn
Morton House Inn
#1 of 1 in Milton

Been to Lane's Privateer Inn? Share your experiences!