“Top Notch Hospitality”
Review of Torrent River Inn

Torrent River Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hawke's Bay
Torrent River Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hawke's Bay
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed here as a result of an unexpected business trip. The service was excellent. We arrived late and everything in town was closed however staff found us a snack from the kitchen which was much appreciated. My room was clean and well appointed. Very helpful staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ADBOCNL

Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I were travelling from Labrador and had just disembarked from the MV Appollo at St. Barbe NL. It was in the dead of winter, when road conditions are iffy, but things looked fairly clear so we decided to head out. About an hour later, we ran head long into a winter storm. According to weather reports it wasn't going to get anything but worse as the day progressed so we decided we better find a place to stay for the night and fast, as driving conditions were quickly worsening. Before long there were white-out conditions and we were barely able to see the road, when out of the blue we came upon the Torrent River Inn. Boy was this a sight for sore eyes. We checked in and were the only ones in the entire hotel initially. Before nightfall the place was half full of other storm-stayed travellers. Our room was clean, nothing special, but comfortable never the less. The remote for the TV did not work, nor did one of the lamps and the overall lighting was rather dull. It had WiFi service but it was dial-up so it was difficult to get internet service as it only stayed on for short periods of time. The Inn had a Pizza Delight Rest. attached where you were able to get your meals if you wished. The town is pretty small and I don't believe there are any other places to dine out. Staff were friendly and we were sure happy we came across the Inn when we did or we would have spent the night on the road somewhere. I would gladly stay there anytime we might pass through the area again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We decided to give this place a try without having a reservation and got in. A fairly large room (terrible view) but that was ok because we didn't plan to stay long. Friendly staff,very helpful. Trouble getting good internet service and a bit of noise from a few kids staying in the hotel but we slept soundly.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stopped in for lunch while driving between L'anse Aux Meadows and Gros Morne. Lunch was decent, but not spectacular. What was spectacular was the way Bill Maynard and his team moved heaven and earth to return my wallet and travel documents, which I stupidly left at the table. They locked everything in the hotel safe and, finding my email address on a ferry itinerary, emailed me. Bill returned to work to open the safe and read aloud my ferry confirmation number so I could board without documents. They then couriered my wallet home. That was hospitality above and beyond the call of duty!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Roadtripper6
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I felt I wasted my money at this inn; could have found something else in the area much nicer. The carpet hadn't been vacuumed and there were crumbs on it; it smelled slightly of smoke even though the room had been nonsmoking for 2 years; older decor. Front desk staff was multitasking, didn't have any laundry soap in stock, and was in general not very welcoming. Service in the pizza/restaurant was a bit unfriendly, food was acceptable. Try to find something else nearby; this is a place for guys who work in the woods, on forestry crews, fire crews, truck drivers, etc. I could see they are trying hard to improve, but have a ways to go.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2006

Just returned from a single-night stay. Our room was spotlessly clean and extremely large. A separate section of our room contained a table & chairs, coffee-maker, fridge, sink and microwave, all for less than CAD 100.
The restaurant served average food at reasonable prices. The waitstaff was friendly & efficient.
The Inn seems to be very popular spot for tour groups judging from the crowd in the restaurant.
The Inn makes for a very nice stop midway on the Viking Trail.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank holyrood
A TripAdvisor Member
Concord , New Hamphire
Reviewed October 2, 2005

The thing most noticable about Newfies (Newfoundland people call themselves) is there friendlyness and helpfulness. Between the people at Parks Canada (Gros Morne and L'anse aux Meadows) and everyone else I interacted with made my visit very much worth while and memorable. That being said, back to Torrent River Inn. Located north of Gros Morne half way up the peninsula from Deer Lake. The Inn has many rooms and nice restaurant and a laundry. The staff was terrific and price reasonable.

About 100 meters north of the Inn there is the start point of a 3KM boardwalk along the river ,which ends at a fish ladder and a interpretive center (currantly being built). Beware that 3KM walk turned into a 7KM walk. the walk is not a loop. I made my way along a gravel road to the highway and back to the hotel. At the beginning of the boardwalk was a few platforms constructed for people in wheel chairs to be able to fish the river. There are stairs about 1 KM into the walk . It was a beautiful walk.

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Torrent River Inn? Share your experiences!