“Eats”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Harold Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Placentia
Harold Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Placentia
Maple Ridge, Canada
“Eats”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Typical small town budget diner. Quality is fair. Portions are healthy. Staff hit and miss. Nothing notable. OH wait good fish cakes.This 200 character minimum is odd. And without a visible letter counter I have no idea when to finish this ramble ramble. Lets hope that I have done enough ramble ramble to post this post about a diner that does not warrant a 200 letter minimum.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank SteveAdamson62

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Mount Pearl, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I took a drive from mount pearl to Placentia to get a fresh feed of fish at harolds hotel restaurant But anyhow, while i was cleaning my son before supper my fiance asked our waitress was the fish fresh, the answer was it always is. So i came in sat down. Nice atmosphere if u could drown out the yelling and swearing in the kitchen. Got my meal, looked fab, took a bite and i regret to say that captain high liner lost his job and took refuge at this restaurant. Upset that this was obviously frozen i asked the waitress, when he asked was it fresh your answer was it always is, she said it is fresh... Why its not?? I said no its actually disgusting, spongy and I said you shouldn't tell someone its fresh just to get rid of it and especially if you didn't know.. So after this the rest of our service sucked. Saucy staff.... To the point i was outside after my meal smoking in their designated smoke area of 50 feet when i heard three kitchen staff (whoweresmoking next to the building) say, say something to her, i will.. So i was stood behind this illegally parked van who was parked across the walking entrance to the hotel by my own vehicle, when i was approached by a cook getting into the illegally parked van, saying dont blow up my car with that cigarette.. With a very saucy ignorant tone too, i said as calmly as i could i highly doubt its possible from where i am. Her response was a gas leak, so my response was well i guess you shouldnt have it on the road then and in a walk way at that... The glares and rudeness were enough that i would not recommend the food or staff of the kitchen to anyone. Because i did not like my fish i was treated very poorly and my family were treated poorly as a result of frozen fish. Soooo beware and make sure you enjoy your food haha.. You might get yelled at. We were on our way back from farther out NL it was getting dark we were going to ask for a room but after that we just took our time and drove back to mount pearl in pitch black moose filled highways instead of staying and not knowing what kind of treatment we would get for sleeping there... Oh my, maybe my rant is a little extreme but i always thought that my own kind were polite, honest, and from my point of view i believe when someone is trusting you with their food and their place to sleep, you should receive respect in doing so. But thats the way i would treat a paying customer.

Room Tip: This rating is solely on staff of the restaurant and the quality of the food.....
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank jenn w
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We arrived in Placentia without a room and all the better places were full so we had no choice. It was better than I thought it would be, not great, not terrible. The room was a bit small but not unusually so. The bathroom was clean and recently renovated. The carpet in the room was dirty - why do hotels still have carpet? and the box spring edges were dirty - why not put a cover on it? However, the room didn't smell and was adequate. The hotel restaurant was also ok - not bad, not wonderful but acceptable fish and chips. Would I go there again? Yes, if all the better places were full and I hadn't planned in advance!!

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor. Front rooms are slightly better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frances4612
Edmonton
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Not so friendly staff when we checked in. The room was clean but could use a renovation to the entire place. If you go try to get a room away from the door the leads to the floor, whenever someone came on to the floor it banged shut and our room was right next to it. We were only there for one night so it wasn’t too bad, I wouldn’t want to stay much longer. The restaurant was good and reasonably priced. If you love Tim Horton’s there is nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Spent one night here and even that was too much. Small rooms, uncomfortable double beds and surly staff. Price was not a deal by any stretch for what was offered.

Old building showing that has not aged gracefully.

Avoid unless last resort.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the water, the otherside faces the parking lot with all the noise associate...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ron O
Carlisle, PA
Reviewed July 26, 2012

After we made our reservation we read some very bad reviews and were concerned about staying here but decided to give it a chance. It turned out to be acceptable, basically clean, with no real issues or problems. The location was right for us and we got a good night's sleep, partially because a roof fan running outside provided some good white noise. One complaint is their wireless service isn't reliable and was frustrating to try to use.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Birdguy
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed in 7 hotels during our trip across Newfoundland, the Harold Hotel was by far the worst accommodations we chose. The staff were acceptable but not helpful in any way, the rooms were clean, however, the bedding was not. I found blood stains on my blanket. The rooms are non-smoking but smoke is drawn through the vents if the bathroom fan is on. I had to cover the vent with a towel. But by far the worst part of the hotel is the front door, there is no strut to slow the closing of the door and no rubber stopper to quiet the door when it slams against the casing. The noise vibrates through the building which kept us and our neighbor up until past midnight. I am dead serious when I say that given a choice between the hotel and my rental car, I would happily choose the car.

Room Tip: Room 7 is the loudest, do not stay in room 7
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank J M

Been to Harold Hotel? Share your experiences!