“Best Ever Cafe”

Philip's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Placentia
Cuisines: Cafe, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Kids, Scenic view, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Philip's Café / BakeryOpen 7:00 am Tuesday - Sunday8 Minutes from the Argentia Ferry TerminalJerseysidePlacentia, NLA0B 2Y0Waterfront café and pastry shop right in the heart of the fishing activity. Pastry chef Philip Meade was born in Placentia. After many years of travelling, he is back in Newfoundland - mixing Newfoundland flavours with the richness of French and Belgian chocolate. Serving Organic coffees and teas - including Lattes and other espresso drinks.Breakfast is served at 7 am for early risers. Watch the fishing boats prepare for their day, while enjoying a freshly baked quiche made with free range eggs, aged cheddar cheese, and other tasty ingredients. Daily bowls of vegetarian chili and fresh garlic cheese bread are served at lunch, as well as many different sandwiches made with freshly baked bread.Amenities:Bring your computer - Philip's Cafe has Wi-Fi.Heading off on a hike or picnic? Fill your picnic lunch or backpack from the many available sandwiches, fresh vegetables and fruits, baked treats, and cool drinks. Bring your thermos if you want to take along hot coffee or tea.On a rainy or cool day, you will find warmth from the wood stove greet you as you come in the door. On a hot day, the breezes on the deck while watching the boats makes Philip's Cafe a wonderful spot for breakfast, lunch or coffee and desert.Why not check out Philip's Cafe/Placentia on Facebook for photos and comments.
Toronto, Canada
“Best Ever Cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Breakfast at Phillip's Cafe is included with your stay at the Rosewood B&B. You won't find this kind of hospitality anywhere else! Great food, great atmosphere and lots of laughs with owners Phillip and Linda!

• Visited July 2013

Torbay, Canada
“Bright and cheerful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Bright and cheerful describes the decor and the service. The food is delicious - made from scratch with a lot of attention to detail and quality of ingredients. I wish they were able to stay open year-round. I don't live in the area but I visit a few times a year and I always make a point of stopping by Philip's to see what's available. It usually includes quiche, muffins and other baked goodies. Everything always looks so tasty. I really miss them in the winter during their off-season. My most recent visit was for breakfast which included eggs, ham, homemade bread and jam and great coffee.

Saskatchewan
“Friendly and comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

We missed the opening of Philip's Cafe by a few days but we did enjoy two breakfasts there as guests of the Rosewood B&B. You couldn't hope for friendlier or more helpful hosts than Linda and Philip. The food was wholesome and expertly prepared. Even in the off-season, we had lots of choice, but I did experience a twinge of envy thinking of all the variety that would be available a few days hence. If we are lucky enough to find ourselves in Placentia again, we hope to find Philip's continuing to flourish!

Vancouver area
“Fantastic food and wonderful hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Rosewood B&B. Breakfast is included here. The food was fantastic but equally as enjoyable was the conversation with Philip and Linda. We loved the home made molasses and raisin bread. This restaurant is not to be missed if you are in this area!

St. John's, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well worth the drive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

In September of 2012, I seen Phillip's Cafe on the NTV news and I decided I had to go there. Unfortunately they were closed for the season so I had to wait until the next year. As the next summer went on and plans were made, Phillip's cafe kept getting pushed ahead and once again it was the end of their season so I had to wait another winter to experience the food. Well today, with 3 of my friends, I finally got to eat at Phillip's Cafe and it was well worth the wait and will not take me 2 years to get there again! I had a grilled ham and Swiss cheese sandwich and a touton, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. My friend is gluten free and had been in contact with Phillip to make sure there will be gluten free selections for our visit. When we arrived and he seen her name on the order he made sure to have a chat with her and pointed out the gluten free carrot cake (which was amazing!) His wife even gave her a piece to bring home. Phillip and his wife add to the atmosphere of the cafe, always up for a chat and before we left his wife shared her Belgium chocolates with us and the other customers at the restaurant. It was a lovely day and I can't wait to go back to try the fishcakes and cod chowder!

Phillip and his wife were very friendly

1 Thank Jeanette_R709