“Delightful visit, delicious wine”
Review of Carmel Winery

Carmel Winery
Jerusalem, Israel
“Delightful visit, delicious wine”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I had the pleasure of hosting my parents from Ukraine recently. When you think of the center of Israel, you can’t miss Zichron Ya’acov.
It's a beautiful city with rich history and full of attractions for tourists.

As a big lover of wine the first thing that came to my mind is the Carmel Winery. So I plugged it into my GPS and we went straight there.
The location is very convenient, the winery is close to the city center and there's plenty of convenient parking.

Our tour was in English, and was performed by Keren; a very knowledgeable and lovely guide. She started the tour with a history of the winery, and as her speech flowed on we started to realize how important and impressive this winery was.

She explained to us the process of wine making and modern technologies involved, and she had generous answers for all the questions I posed her. :)

The tour the continued in their shop with tastings. We were offered some very special wines; both red and white.
I have to be honest, I’m not a white wine person, but they somehow managed to open my mind. They encouraged me and exposed me to wines that I couldn't possibly say no, thank you to. 

Carmel has a warm and welcoming environment, the wonderful and easygoing staff made our trip memorable and an absolute delight. My parents left the winery happy and enthusiastic, full of new information and a fantastic impression of Carmel's warm hosting.
And as you can imagine it’s not their first winery visit! :)

Thank you for a wonderful day and most delicious wines!

Alona and happy parents.

23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Nice visit”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The winery should have been much easier to find than it actually was? We walked over a mile to the end of the street (to Winery St) and someone told us to go left... WRONG. We walked to the restaurant up 1/4 blk and they said they thought the winery was "up" the street and proceeded to point us further away in the wrong direction. Throughout all of this in the heat and humidity I thought to myself "be sure to let peeps on Trip Advisor" know to drive here vs walking. Anyway, all that aside, it was a relief to finally find the place and it was worth it. The bartender (he's in the photo's) was wonderfully witty, sarcastic, humorous and easy going during our 1.5 hr visit here. There was only one tour group came through here and he was able to give us all him time with a very thorough explanation of each and every wine. We did not have a booked tour, just a simple wine tasting. We did however end up having a wonderful time here, making it more than worth our while to visit Zichron Ya'akov again if we ever come to Israel for a second visit. Thank you bartender (I forgot your name) for making our trip here so worthwhile. We actually bough 2 bottles of red + 1 Champagne (all are Kosher) for our trip home to the states. They don't ship, but we had brought "wine sleeves" with us so that we could bring a few bottles home in our suitcase and they all arrived just fine with no breakage. Yay!!!!

Visited September 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Pretty setting, okay experience”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

On a recent visit to Israel, we were excited to visit Carmel Winery as a break from other tourist activities. While the setting was beautiful- old vats, pretty tasting room- and the guides were outgoing and informative, the overall experience was lacking. The tour was pretty short, only about 2 rooms were shown, and the tasting only included 1 red, 1 white, and 1 sweet wine. From other wineries, I expected a longer and more in depth experience. Could definitely stand to expand the tour.

Visited May 2012
Jacksonville, FL
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Apathetic and distant staff Made for average visit”
Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

I was initially very excited about going to Carmel winery as it is one of the biggest names in Israeli wine. The facilities are beautiful but the staff seemed completely uninterested in educating the public. We went on an English speaking tour and the tour guide barely explained anything about the wine making process. A little of the history was explained but the guide did not seem to know much beyond her script. She also was somewhat aloof when anyone asked questions. The tasting at the end was also of their lowest end wines which did not encourage me to buy any wine to bring home. I suggest going to one of the little wineries in the area instead.

247 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 351 helpful votes
“the wine capital of Israel.................”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

There are other charming wineries in the area, but Carmel is the first and largest wine producer in the country. The tours are very informative; the wines exceptional; and the gift shop irresistible. First our guide taught us how to hold our glasses properly. Soon we were admiring the color, swirling the wine (to aerate it), sniffing the bouquet, and taking our time to really taste it....like pros. It was truly an enjoyable and educational experience.

Visited April 2012