“Good location, don't stay here if you hate noise from other rooms”

Natchez Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Natchez
Ireland
“Good location, don't stay here if you hate noise from other rooms”
Reviewed July 3, 2010

This hotel is in a great location, and the room (a King Suite) was a good size and very clean.

So that's the good. On the other hand, the building construction must have been awful as you can hear loads of noise from other rooms. And stay on the top floor if you can, we were on the third floor and the people in the room above us had a young kid who seemed to like running around the room endlessly. The noise level off this was pretty unreal.

The pool is about the size of two postage stamps so forget that exists, plus when I went to the 'business centre' to print out an email, I was informed the computers were not working, for some reason this did not surprise me. The front desk offered to print it out on their own pc but seeing as this would involve me giving them my email password, I declined that, thanks.

No problems whatsoever with the actual room, but given the price we paid ($240 a night) I would have expected more, and less noise from other rooms. Other reviews have mentioned the $6.95 'amenity charge' so I won't go over that again. The 'high speed internet' was slow at best, and dropped fairly frequently.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TwoShedsJackson30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Chicago
Reviewed May 20, 2010

This is a wonderful Hotel . The location is perfect. We walked along the Mississippi River as the sun set , it was nice. The next morning I took a wonderful walk thru the downtown neighborhood. The location of this hotel allows for such things.
The rooms are clean and very well maintained . The hotel has a very nice feel to it.
The only strange thing is the $6.95 surcharge. I don't understand why they do this. It's like they are trying to make the price seem cheaper than it is. There is no reason for this as the rooms are well worth the price. All it does is foster ill will.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChuckL_10
natchezgrandhotel, General Manager at Natchez Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2010
I am delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy a walk along the Mississippi River and experience the relaxing views of Natchez, MS during your visit. The Natchez Grand Hotel strives to enhance travelers' visits to Natchez in all aspects. Cleanliness in the hotel is one of the key components that we insist on maintaining, and I appreciate your noticing our efforts. We also focus on providing comfortable rooms with a luxurious feel, at an affordable price. In addition, our amenity package fee of $6.95 allows us to provide a daily hot breakfast buffet, evening wine reception, onsite parking, unlimited local and long distance phone calls, unlimited wired and wireless internet usage, as well as maintain a state-of-the-art fitness center, business center, and guest laundry facility. We feel that it is important to provide these amenities and services to our guests and to have an associated fee that adds value to every guest's stay. We welcome you to be our guest during your future visits to Natchez, MS.
Chicago
Reviewed April 20, 2010

The Natchez Grand Hotel is in a perfect location to enjoy a view of the Mississippi from the bluff or stroll around the historic district marveling at the antebellum homes lining the narrow streets. And for those needing good exercise, it's just steps from Silver Street
To those reading this post, I would recommend that when you check in you request a room as far from the vending area as possible. I stayed on the fourth floor several rooms away and the noise of the soda machine threatened to keep me awake all night. Fortunately, I was really, really tired from a day of walking around town. The rooms are spacious, the bed comfortable, the bathrooms large and well-appointed. My biggest complaint is a significant lack of lighting. Reading in bed was impossible as the nightstands were so much lower than the bed and the lamps so short that the light lit the box springs. I would recommend they add a floor lamp at the very least so one can comfortably read in the chair. And the room would be far cozier with a second chair or small sofa and a coffee table as it is so spacious and actually appears rather bare though it isn't. I read the posts where guests complained about the add-on package and I agree that it should be part of the main fee as it is misleading to state that the cost of the room is $109 or there-abouts and then add another fee that you must pay. The fee is small and covers amenities like breakfast, two free drinks at the afternoon wine bar, as well as wireless and parking. Since I used every one of those amenities, I felt less like complaining but do agree that adding it is poor business. Breakfast was typical of your basic interstate hotels which was a bit disappointing as I stayed in a hotel the night before that had made-to-order omelets so I must admit to being a bit spoiled. The staff were all incredibly friendly and the lovely woman at the front desk was more than helpful when I checked in and wanted a walking map, recommendations for food and more. And unlike one of the other recommended hotels in downtown Natchez, this one has an incredible amount of parking available - at least when Natchez isn't having one of their big town events!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Jewelsworld
mississippi
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Booked a short two night trip. Put in a handicap room on 2nd floor despite requesting uppper floor reg king. Room very basic. Linens of poor quality and not changed. Terrible mattress. Furniture worn and stained. incredibly noisy.
Limited cable channels. Wifi worked well.
Pass on the wine testing, or whatever they call it, but you will get charged for it anyway.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank burnt65
Natchez, Mississippi
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I have stayed at the Grand twice in the past two months. This is a good location for touring Natchez – the Convention Center is across the street and many of the historic houses are within walking distance. I agree with the other reviewers that the “extra” $6.95 per night charge is a bit strange; however, since I have had to pay for wireless at other locations, and it is included in the “extra” charge, I did not debate it with the front desk staff. The front desk service can be excellent, such as the person that is also a local actor in Natchez – or terrible, such as the night I checked in during January where the front desk person kept locking the door while I was bringing the luggage in. The hotel is clean, the rooms large and there is plenty of fenced parking. I prefer the rooms on the Mississippi River side; there is a great view not only of the river but also of the city lights across the river. For evening dining the Cock of the Walk restaurant, located in the former train station, is half a block away.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Denver_Mullican
Richmond
Reviewed February 17, 2010

The hotel is new and looks great, but be careful to review your bill when you check out for extra charges. When we checked in late at night the clerk gave me a copy of the estimated charges and asked me to sign the form that I accepted them. When we checked out early the next morning the bill was $8-$9 more than what I had signed the night before. The difference was an "add on package" for a manager's welcome wine reception, breakfast, free phone calls, etc.". Probably not a bad deal if you wanted the "add on package". When I protested to the clerk that we hadn't requested the "add on package" and the bill was higher than what I agreed to I was told that the package was mandatory and that management insisted that it be added to everyone's bill. After a 10 minute discussion she finally agreed to remove the charge this time only, but on any future stays if would be mandatory. If they want to charge more for the room they should just increase the room rate, not add on fradulent charges that they try to slip by you at check-out. Travelers don't want surprises at checkout, especially when you were asked to sign an agreement at check-in of what the charges would be. We left very dissatisfied customers.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank TexasNorthTraveler
natchezgrandhotel, General Manager at Natchez Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear valued guest:
Our amenity package fee of $6.95, which is published on our check-in registration forms, web site, email confirmations, written notification on our registration counter explaining the fee and also on our room key card folder, allows us to provide a daily hot breakfast buffet, evening wine reception, onsite parking, unlimited local and long distance phone calls, unlimited wired and wireless Internet usage, as well as maintain a state-of-the-art fitness center, business center, and complementary guest laundry facility. We feel that it is important to provide these amenities and services to all of our guests and to have an associated fee that adds value to every guest’s stay. We have received many compliments from both business and leisure travelers on the value received in return.

We realize that you have many choices when selecting overnight accommodations and hope that you will be our guest during your future visits to Natchez, MS. Please contact me personally if I may be of assistance to you.
Warm Regards,
Houston, TX
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We enjoyed this hotel very much...the staff was excellent and very accomodating. It could use a few upgrades such as a full restaurant, or at least a snack bar. The breakfast buffet option was a welcomed touch . The bar was nice and cozy and the staff does the best they can with the supplies they are given...they ran out of wine glasses, pretzels, and such. I would have liked to see the fireplaces going since it was about 30 degrees outside when we were there. It is within walking distance to great shopping and dining. The view of the river was wonderful and we will be back!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple