“Good location, clean rooms, odd service charges”

Natchez Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Natchez
Natchez, Mississippi
“Good location, clean rooms, odd service charges”
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I have stayed at the Grand twice in the past two months. This is a good location for touring Natchez – the Convention Center is across the street and many of the historic houses are within walking distance. I agree with the other reviewers that the “extra” $6.95 per night charge is a bit strange; however, since I have had to pay for wireless at other locations, and it is included in the “extra” charge, I did not debate it with the front desk staff. The front desk service can be excellent, such as the person that is also a local actor in Natchez – or terrible, such as the night I checked in during January where the front desk person kept locking the door while I was bringing the luggage in. The hotel is clean, the rooms large and there is plenty of fenced parking. I prefer the rooms on the Mississippi River side; there is a great view not only of the river but also of the city lights across the river. For evening dining the Cock of the Walk restaurant, located in the former train station, is half a block away.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Denver_Mullican

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Richmond
Reviewed February 17, 2010

The hotel is new and looks great, but be careful to review your bill when you check out for extra charges. When we checked in late at night the clerk gave me a copy of the estimated charges and asked me to sign the form that I accepted them. When we checked out early the next morning the bill was $8-$9 more than what I had signed the night before. The difference was an "add on package" for a manager's welcome wine reception, breakfast, free phone calls, etc.". Probably not a bad deal if you wanted the "add on package". When I protested to the clerk that we hadn't requested the "add on package" and the bill was higher than what I agreed to I was told that the package was mandatory and that management insisted that it be added to everyone's bill. After a 10 minute discussion she finally agreed to remove the charge this time only, but on any future stays if would be mandatory. If they want to charge more for the room they should just increase the room rate, not add on fradulent charges that they try to slip by you at check-out. Travelers don't want surprises at checkout, especially when you were asked to sign an agreement at check-in of what the charges would be. We left very dissatisfied customers.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank TexasNorthTraveler
natchezgrandhotel, General Manager at Natchez Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
Dear valued guest:
Our amenity package fee of $6.95, which is published on our check-in registration forms, web site, email confirmations, written notification on our registration counter explaining the fee and also on our room key card folder, allows us to provide a daily hot breakfast buffet, evening wine reception, onsite parking, unlimited local and long distance phone calls, unlimited wired and wireless Internet usage, as well as maintain a state-of-the-art fitness center, business center, and complementary guest laundry facility. We feel that it is important to provide these amenities and services to all of our guests and to have an associated fee that adds value to every guest’s stay. We have received many compliments from both business and leisure travelers on the value received in return.

We realize that you have many choices when selecting overnight accommodations and hope that you will be our guest during your future visits to Natchez, MS. Please contact me personally if I may be of assistance to you.
Warm Regards,
Houston, TX
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We enjoyed this hotel very much...the staff was excellent and very accomodating. It could use a few upgrades such as a full restaurant, or at least a snack bar. The breakfast buffet option was a welcomed touch . The bar was nice and cozy and the staff does the best they can with the supplies they are given...they ran out of wine glasses, pretzels, and such. I would have liked to see the fireplaces going since it was about 30 degrees outside when we were there. It is within walking distance to great shopping and dining. The view of the river was wonderful and we will be back!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kgch
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed January 5, 2010

King room on the 4th. floor was ok, nothing special. It was missing a reading lamp and table near the single chair sitting area in the corner. Even though this is a fairly new hotel, the bathroom towels were paper thin and already worn and frayed. The free buffet breakfast was discusting to say the least, so on my second morning, I drove out to McDonald's instead. The 4th. floor hall carpet was strewn with trash from end to end. Anything from discarded sugar packets to plastic razor head clips. I just couldn't believe that the cleaning staff could overlook such filth. The only reason my rating came out a 3 was because of the location of the hotel. Clean up your act.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Larry1962
Louisiana
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Stayed overnight recently at Natchez Grand Hotel, formerly Comfort Suites. This was a great place. Constructed about 1-2 years ago right on the bank of the river. Rates were really reasonable $80/night for king size. Additional charge of $10 included two drinks from the bar, parking and a great buffet breakfast. Rooms were very clean and so quiet. Asked for a late checkout and were told take as long as you like. Pearl Street Pasta restaurant within walking distance had nice atmosphere and really good. Swimming pool is the smallest I've ever seen.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suznla
Dallas, TX
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Overall our stay over the Thanksgiving holiday was wonderful. I can not say enough about the delicious full breakfast offered every morning...eggs, GRITS, sausage, french toast, biscuits, fresh OJ, coffee, the works. It was the highlight of our stay. My only gripe is the room key and front desk staff. My key(s) stopped working about 7 times over a 5 night stay. What a pain to continuously request new keys. Aside from this, I hated to leave. The hotel upgraded us to a king junior suite with a riverview front. I was born in Natchez but this experience made me see Natchez in a brand new light. I strongly encourage others to stay at the Natchez Grand. Its well worth the extra money. I think we will return for New Years!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I plan to come back next year for some relaxation. I really enjoyed my stay at The Grand Hotel which was my second visit. I loved the southern hospitaliy.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business