“Amazing Vacation”

Monmouth Historic Inn & Gardens Natchez
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Natchez
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We fell in love with Monmouth Plantation. Being there was like going back in time. The rooms were exquisitely decorated with beautiful antiques. The mattress was very comfortable. The grounds are breathtaking.

We had dinner at the Chef's table one night and at 1818 the next night. The food was amazing. One of the hightlights was sitting at the bar with Roosevelt, the bartender. He made us chocolate martinis that were out of this world.

If you are looking for a romantic getaway, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 20, 2010

I was surprised on check-in the paper coaster next to our bed looked as though it had been used..that was my first indication it wasn't going to be the perfect experience. I left my visor in the room on check out. I realized it once we got to Vicksburg, called the hotel and gave my home address. I didn't hear back and assumed it was being sent to me. Imagine my surprise a full week later i received a call..they had my hat and wanted my credit card to charge for it to be sent to me!! So i was in process of giving my credit card when i realized it wasn't even my hat!! They should have gone immediately to the room, called me to tell me whether they found it or not and certainly not charged me for the return..i was told there was a note by the desk that i was looking for my hat..what?? not a fine luxury hotel in my books. Also the table out by the "pagoda" was filthy..it should be cleaned daily

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vistajoyce
Reviewed October 18, 2010

My Wife and I just came back from a great honeymoon trough the South part of the USA. As every stay was a surprise for my wife I had very high hopes set on Monmouth as THE highlight of the trip... Unfortunately for us it became the worst place we have stayed during the whole trip.
Just to say the nice and good things first: The location is amazing, great venue and very romantic room! Most of the staff (especially Hall, Roosevelt and the girls behind the desk) are very friendly and helpfull.
Then for the downsides: I booked the romantic package, and already had problems getting a right confirmation from the start. But thanks to Melanie, that got sorted out in the end.
Luckily I printed out everything which was encluded in the package as they said at arrival that the dinner at the chef's table was not included and we had to pay 48$/person if we wanted to take this dinner.
Than the package said it encluded Champagne and Chocolates, being European we expected real champagne, not some bubbly Californian wine. the chocolates were not in the room as we arrived and after asking 2 times, and calling again from the room 2 times we eventually got them at 21H00.
Before this we ordered room service, but both the chicken wings and the hrimp for the Caesar Salade were cold.
After all of this we hoped that breakfast was going to be better, but what a disappointment. We could chose from 2 breakfasts, as there was nothing on the buffet except for some yoghurt, but the only difference between the 2 was that one had pancakes and the other one didn't. When my wife asked for a normal piece of toast with some cheese on the side she got some kind of weird piece of warmed up bread with grated melted cheese on the top. The pancakes were dry, they completely fell apart when touching them and the scrambled eggs were not even scrambled but they were a kind of omelette-style thing which without any doubt came out of a package.
So after having to drive around for an hour to find some decent place to eat we decided not to complain but to cancel the dinner we had a the chef's table ( at no expense since I showed them the confirmation of the website saying it was included in the package).
When the girl behind the desk (Melanie) heared that I was cancelling the dinner she wanted to know why, so I explained her each and every thing sited before. The supervisor Jim ( nice guy btw) was also there and he overheared what I was saying and appologized for every thing which had happened and that he hoped we would still consider the dinner that night. He even would give us some complimentary wine and beer as a compensation for our "grieves" because they said it was our honeymoon, and we shouldn't even have to worrie that much about those things..
Considering that everybody deserves a second chance and the fact that Melanie and Jim really were concerned we decided to give the food a second chance.
They also said that they would get back to the breakfast-cooks and that they would make sure breakfast the next day was going to be ok.
It has to be said, the dinner at the Chef's table was very entertaining with some great company, altough the happy feeling changed pretty soon when the presented me a bill for the two persons ( again at 48$/person) and with a glas of wine more than we drank. When I pointed out that the dinner was included in the package, the scraped it of the bill but did not change the wine altough I told them, but they said they were not sure about that.
In the morning breakfast was even worse, with some French toast, which sounded great, but was infact deepfried and stuffed with some kind of cream cheese-like substance. And the eggs were still from the same package.
When we checked out, melanie looked at our faces and saw that something was not ok. So we told her that breakfast again was terrible, and that we had to pay for one more drink than we had the day before. She replied that we shouldn't even had to pay for those drinks as Jim would have arranged that we would get these for free as a "compensation" BUT nonetheless she charged everything nice and smooth. I think that was the biggest disappointment for us, far more than the terrible food.
A lot of nice promises, but definitely THE biggest downpoint by far on our fabulous honeymoon.
When we go back to the South ( and we will in the near future) we will definitely not be staying here anymore...

Best regards

a really disappointed Xavier and Dalida Jacques

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Xavierjacques
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Arriving at Monmouth through Crepe Myrtles the size of large trees and Catalpa trees larger than any I have ever seen was amazing from the onset. We started in a secluded cottage near the back of the property with huge porches and a private pond. The furnishings are elegant yet comfortable and we truly felt we had the entire property to ourselves. A huge gust of wind. "I now refer to as an act of God," caused the power to go out for much of Natchez. But the main house generators fired on as most of Natchez sat in total darkness. We were rapidly moved to an amazing suite in the Main house that was literally like a night in the museum with all modern amenities. My girlfriend has traveled the entire world and stayed at the nicest hotels in the world. She looked over at me and said, "This may well be the most beautiful room I have ever slept in." I am also fortunate to stay in 4 diamond hotels for my business travel and I have to agree. The entire trip, storm and all, was magical! ORDER THE DUCK! I will be married here, mark my word.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I recently visited the Monmouth Plantation as part of a Girls Weekend. This hotel showed true southern charm. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were much more than expected. I really enjoyed the period furnishings, it made me feel like a true Southern Belle. The offered breakfast, served on fine china was out of this world, I highly recommend the French Toast.

If whatever package deal you choose, I suggest you skip the massage. The most relaxing portion was the minute the massage stopped.
All over great experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I had a wonderful stay. The room was beautiful and spacious. Most of all the entire staff was extremely hospitable. The grounds of the Plantation were spectacular. It was so peaceful and serene. The gardens of roses, trees, and even the fresh planted herbs that are used right there in the kitchen were so memorable. The spell still lingers in my memory of my stay. I was truly fascinated with the wonderful gracious owners of the plantation and how I felt as if I had been invited by them personally to stay with them and their staff. They truly made me feel welcome and special. It is truly one of the most beautiful spots in all of Natchez!

Thank you again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2010

This is the finest hotel in Natchez by far and the hotel's comfort is only surpassed by the art and antiques throughout the mansion and outlying guest rooms. Pathways lead guests throughout the grounds with its gardens, statues, fountains, ponds and woodlands.

This is a great hotel for romance, celebrating, and using as a base to explore all the magnificent homes in Natchez. Monmouth would be an ideal setting for memorable weddings.

Breakfast delicious and included with your stay; but, don't miss sampling their special French toast. Dinner is available a la carte or at the Chef's Table. Treat yourself and experience the Chef's Table with its six courses and the chance to mingle with other dines while seated on the formal dining room of the mansion.

There is a number of items I think could make this lovely hotel just a little better...new and plumper pillows, swimming pool, better quality wines on the wine list, a more comfortable easy chair in my room, DirecTV requires you to go through a lot of blank channels, better wifi, and a larger work area/desk to write or use a laptop computer.

Bottom line is this is a very special hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo