“Southern Plantation Experience”

Monmouth Historic Inn & Gardens Natchez
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Natchez
Reviewed June 25, 2007

I recently visited Natchez, Miss. for a wedding, and took the opportunity to stay at Monmouth Plantation. This is an exquisitely beautiful antebellum plantation that has been lovingly restored and now functions as a B & B.
The grounds are expertly maintained. The history of the plantation is prominent, and the emplyees are quite knowledgeable. The current owners have gone to great lenghts to maintain authenticity: they built new rooms in the early 1980s on the site of prior buildings from the original plantation. Tours of the main house are offered on a regular basis, and are fascinating.
Complimentary Cocktails are served each evening, although I was not able to take advantage of that. The main dining room (exquistely appointed) is where dinner is served, although my schedule did not allow that either.
My room was beautifully decorated, including a four poster bed, and period antiques. Service was excellent; what we all expect from a four diamond establishment.
All in all, I had a wonderful time, and would definitely return again.
Thanks to all the good people at Monmouth for a wonderful visit!

Nancy Jo Coburn, M.D.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank GraniteBayTraveler

Reviewed May 26, 2007

Spent our second night in Natchez at Monmouth, stayed at Dunlieth the first night since Monmouth was booked. It was nice to compare the two. Monmouth's grounds are fantastic with ponds, wooded walking trails, croquet lawn, beautiful gardens and landscaping (more elaborate than Dunlieth). Room in the main house was very nice, large, well appointed bath with modern type fixtures. Would recommend the five course dinner in the main house, candlelight setting and the food was very good. Cocktails in the study before proved a perfect place to gather before dinner and visit with other guests (Roosevelt is a great bartender!). Breakfast was a nice mix of cold options and a hot serving (good but Dunlieth was better breakfast)

• Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank RKAustin
Reviewed May 23, 2007

My daughter and I (age 24 and 47) planned a last-minute trip to Mississippi for a family reunion last week. My daughter has always been interested in history; and I've always wanted to stay at an antebellum (Latin for "before the war" by the way) home in Natchez. With short notice, we were able to book a room directly through the property. We stayed in a room above what used to be the kitchen (Now the office and gift shop.); and it was first class all the way. I believe that room has been renovated. The central a/c (thermostat in our room) was excellent. The room was spotless. The bathroom is tastefully updated with granite countertops, jetted bath, and a huge separate shower. The soap, shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion are top quality. I believe the mattress was Tempur-pedic (i.e., pressure relieving Swedish mattress); absolutely the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, and I am a mattress snob (bad back)! The grounds of Monmouth. Wow! Huge oak trees and well-manicured gardens. The Southern breakfast was excellent. Everyone at Monmouth greeted us with a smile and seemed genuinely happy to have us as their guest. We toured the bottom floor of Monmouth. Our guide was enthusiastic and entertaining as she told us the history of Monmouth. I would highly recommend Monmouth; and I hope to return for a longer stay. PS: We were told that you cannot smoke inside the buildings; and pets and children are not allowed.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank jamiedalejuliegail
Reviewed May 13, 2007

What a beautiful setting. The gardens are beautiful, the facilities first class, the food out of this world but, the staff makes it all possible. Say hello to Peggy (she's everywhere), Hal (he'll say hello to you before you get a chance) and Roosevelt ( a Kentucky Colonel) and master of the mint julip. We'd go back in a heartbeat!

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank Edward L
Reviewed May 6, 2007

This is truly the best b and b in Natchez, and I must start by saying you must eat one night at the plantation because the food is the best , we stayed for 5 days and 4 nights in one of the pond cottage, the unit was cleaned the people were friendly and the supper was super, I loved the food!!!!, Natchez I was told was similar to Charleston s.c but it really isn’t other than the old homes and plantations, there is no where to go in Natchez, nothing to do but tour the homes, we rode the horse carriage and did the bus tour, the food in Natchez is not very good, the service at biscuits and blues was terrible,, the past place is ok a family atmosphere, the thing that shocked me about Natchez was the service was terrible everywhere I went, for a city to grow and grow tourism you must have customer service, Natchez did not, I loved the homes and the Monmouth plantation where we stayed but I would probably not return to Natchez again

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hydebee
Reviewed May 4, 2007

My daughter and I visited Monmouth last November and absolutely loved the entire experience! The grounds are just stunning and Monmouth is an excellent sample of "Ole South"! The owners Lani and Ron are such gracious hosts and dining in the beautiful plantation dining room was a treat indeed. We look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2007

My friends and I booked three suites and rooms at the Monmouth during the Spring Pilgrimage. The members of our group included persons from their forties to their mid eighties from Nebraska and Wisconsin. During our three day stay we marveled that each of our rooms were thoughtfully decorated; there were many exquisite and functional antiques in our rooms; and the decor of each was inviting, serene, and elegant. Words could not describe the relaxing , peaceful, historic, and romantic environment of each of our rooms and the entire grounds and facilities of the Monmouth.

Waking in the morning was like being transported to a place and time where your every wish could come true. The entire staff and the owners , Ron and Lani Riches, made us feel like royalty. The warmth and enthusism of everyone at the Plantation made it very clear to each of us that our comfort and enjoyment were their top priority. The rooms were impeccably clean and quiet; our cares just melted away during our stay. The attention to detail and care taken in restoring and preserving the Monmouth made it obvious to me that the Monmouth Plantation is a labor of love for its owners and staff.

The 26 acres of perfectly manicured grounds were too breathtaking for words. The Spring flowers, shrubs, and trees were fragrant and so beautiful that they could almost take your breath away. I could not possibly describe the beauty of the gardens of the Monmouth; you must experience it yourself.

We elected to add to our incredible experience by enjoying a five course candlelight meal at the Monmouth. Please don't miss this opportunity to be pampered. The food was exceptional, the service was divine, and the atmosphere was elegant and very romantic.

We are already discussing a return to the Monmouth Plantation. I have traveled extensively in the United States and have traveled in Europe; of the hundreds of hotels, bed and breakfasts, resorts, inns, and hotels where I have stayed the Monmouth is my favorite by far. No other lodging facility of any type which I have experienced even comes close to the Monmouth Plantation. I felt like I was part of the Monmouth Plantation family when I stayed there; I will return to the Monmouth often during my lifetime.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends