“delightful time and hosts”

Devereaux Shields House
Ranked #5 of 41 Natchez B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2010

On the spur of the moment, my wife, son and I made a trip to Natchez. We landed at the Natchez Airport (HEZ). We had found this B&B via the internet. The location is within the city and most every thing is a reasonable walk for a 58 year old. The hosts, Ron and Eleanor are delightful and personable, with great recommendations, genuinely interesting people. Breakfast and amenaties are superb, the staff is especially friendly. We met a couple from England and another from Missouri. The rooms are what one would expect, with all period pieces. The service was fine and we found the whole city extremely friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed September 1, 2010

I actually did not stay at the Devereaux Shields House; I stayed at Aunt Clara's Cottage, a house just down the street from the Devereaux Shields but owned by the same owners, Ron and Eleanor Fry. I stayed in the Victoria Room. It was spacious, and the bed was super cozy. The breakfast was delicious, and the company delightful. I look forward to a return visit with the Frys in the future.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I live in Natchez near the Devereaux Shields House, and have dined there three times within the past year---two luncheons and an evening family birthday dinner party, which was held in July 2010. Each dining experience was a great treat....talk about mighty tasty food served from the Fry Kitchen! Ron and Eleanor Fry (hosts) immediately made my "real glad to know" list when I first met them last year. Here are two of my most fervent wishes: Some day I will find the time to enjoy an overnight (or two) stay in this beautiful and serene B&B home, and I will soon be dining at the Dervereaux Shields for a fourth time! /James O'Brien

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank jobrien57
Reviewed July 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed 5 nights with our dog. It was wonderful. When we stayed there was no workout facility available. If working out is important call ahead. The hospitality was warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank GiselleRR
Reviewed July 19, 2010

What a wonderful B&B! We had a great time....the room was fabulous...very spacious.....the innkeepers were very friendly and accommodating....and the breakfast was delicious! And, Ron went out of his way to get us the best table in the house at the Magnolia Grill. We will certainly stay at the Devereaux Shields House on our next visit to Natchez!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2010

This B&B is on a close-to-downtown street which appears to have the most structures on the historic register of any other Natchez street. Staying at the annex across & down the street is very good, & I would recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Eleanor and Ron are the most gracious hosts ever. We had never been to Natchez before, and they made many dining and attraction suggestions that were right on target. We stayed in Aunt Clara's Cottage in the Victoria Room. The room was spacious and beautifully furnished. It was also located at the back of the cottage and was surprisingly quiet considering the age of the house. We had a private bath and spacious closet that met all of our needs. A delicious breakfast was served each morning, and then we were left alone for the rest of the day to enjoy ourselves. This was my first B & B experience and I was very impressed. We will definitely return to stay with Eleanor and Ron again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple