“Good for fried food in a very casual environment”
Review of Cock of The WALK Restaurant - CLOSED

Cock of The WALK Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2008

The Cock of the Walk is fine if you want fried food in a very casual atmosphere. There is not much else. I had the fried oysters which were good and my boyfriend had the catfish. They brought out a big dish of cornbread and coleslaw for us at the start of the meal. That could have been the whole meal for me.

I don't like cornbread with jalapenos or cole slow but my boyfriend loved them both and said the slaw was some of the best he had ever had.

All in all a good experience although wished there were some more healthier items on the menu.

1  Thank AmericanInParis11

Reviewed August 1, 2008

We arrived in town late, staying at the new Country Inn & Suites (very nice), and,at the recommendation of the desk clerk at check in, walked across the street to Cock of the Walk, which I had heard of, but never visited.
The skillet cornbread and cole slaw came immediately, and both were excellent. The cornbread had the slightest bit of jalapeno and the cole slaw was both sweet and spicy, first rate. I ordered the fried catfish and sweet potato, which came with three hush puppies. All very good, country cooking meal, much better than similar type food served at the chains.
Service was friendly and quick. You eat on tin plates and drink out of tin cups, which is a bit cutesy, but we really enjoyed our dinner.

1  Thank LouisianaRoadrunner
Reviewed July 9, 2008

well...we wanted to give the Natchez MS restaurant a try...

Someone said it was kid friendly. How? Just because someone throws cornbread in the air? Whoopee! Big deal. The highchair was sticky, the straps didn't work, and they didn't offer crayons or anything that most restaurants offer for children. Kid friendly? I'd say not!

The food was over priced.

They charge you a "plate fee" of $4 if you don't order an entree. My wife ordered their greens to go with the cornbread and she enjoyed it until we saw the ticket charging the $4 fee.

The cost of a child's meal is $7.50. You get a choice of chicken or fish. That is all that's offered for kids.

Don't expect much of a selection either. There are maybe 10 different options to eat. If you don't like the options, you might as well get up and leave.

Also, another point in re to overpriced. I ordered the chicken kids meal for my daughter. She got two chicken strips, fries, and 2 hushpuppies. (Again, it was $7.50) I ordered the main entree chicken strips. I got three strips, fries, and three hushpuppies. The difference? One strip and one hushpuppy for $5 more!

As I was waiting to pay for my bill, the hostess was answering a phone call. The caller was ordering and one of the requested items was a child's fish meal. The hostess informed the caller that kid's meals could not be ordered for take out. The reason? She said that people take advantage of the price and order the kids meal instead of the main entree. I wonder why??? Perhaps the $5 difference?

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE.

1  Thank flyfishbeck
Reviewed May 16, 2008

April 10, 2008. In celebrating out 9th wedding anniversary we took a short drive to Natchez. I had always heard about the Cock of The Walk and researched their website for menu items. We were not dissapointed. Our server escorted us to the rear of the restaurant and seated us where we had a spectacular view of the Mississippi River before a stunning sunset. The cornbread is actually tossed about 3-4 feet in the air, an awesome sight. Our server informed us that any cornbread that hits the floor is served as hush puppies(smile) The fried dill pickles are a must have. The pot or 1/2 pot of greens is a must have. The downside to the pickles is that the order is huge (a plate full) for an appetizer. I was expecting a bowl that my wife and I could share. The cornbread was delicious with small bits of corn and jalepeno` pepper. The food was served quickly and piping hot. We enjoyed the fried fish which was terriffic with the included pickled onions. If you are a neat freak you may not like drinking from the old stainless steel cups that water is served in. To us it just complemented the atmosphere. The only problem we had was an over crowded table. We were too stuffed for dessert. We are on our way back for my birthday this weekend thinking about those fried pickles yummo.

1  Thank Sierras_road
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Our waiter, Craig was really friendly. The kids loved it when he flipped the cornbread (which was really good). The portions were big, we hade frieds oyster, fried catfish and ribeye. All were good. One of us hade cheesecake for dessert and it was excellent. The location is good and the adjoining shop is great, we bought books and condiments.