“visit to the old south”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Natchez
Elgin Plantation Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 41 Natchez B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 2, 2012

If you had the good fortune to have had a family member with an old southern home you visited as a child, then this is the experience for you. It is truly like stepping back into the past- staying in an authentic antebellum mansion with your favorite aunt as a hostess. If you want new and modern, stay away and don't complain about the lack of a jacuzzi. On the other hand, if you want to meet one of the most gracious, charming, and knowledgeable southern ladies imaginable, (Mrs. Calhoun), then this is just right for you. The home itself was actually started in the late 1790s, and has been added on again and again, and the stories are colorful and authentic. Her tour alone is worth the trip! The home is out in the country, and you can sit on the veranda at night and listen to...nothing! Lizzie is charming and full of good humor and information-she has been with the Calhouns for over 40 years. Do yourself a favor and visit Elgin while you can. It is a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank willypete

Reviewed March 27, 2012

What a gem Elgin is, and what a delight to meet Ruth Ellen Calhoun. We stayed at a number of b&b's during our tour of the Deep South but this was easily our favourite. Our room in the old servant quarters was roomy, light and lovely; breakfast prepared and served by the wonderful Lizzie was a perfect start to each day; and the main house and grounds fabulous. My wife kept expecting Rhett Butler to draw up at any moment and doff his hat - thankfully he didn't or I'm sure she'd still be there. But the icing on the cake is Ruth Ellen herself. Such a warm and gracious hostess, it was a real highlight of our holiday to sit in the evening sunshine and chat with her and hear about the history of the house, the area and of her and her family's involvement with it. Added to that she was so helpful with restaurant suggestions and ideas of where to visit. We stayed here in the middle of the Natchez Pilgrimage which may mean a lot to you but meant nothing to us Brits before we arrived. Nevertheless Ruth Ellen fired our enthusiasm, dispatching us to visit other houses, and ending the day with her friends dressed in their finery, showing us around beautiful Elgin itself. Thank you Ruth Ellen, we'll always fondly remember our stay with you.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A&A_F-L
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I recently spent ten days traveling Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi. I stayed at several of the old houses, and I can clearly say, the only one I would gladly come back to is Elgin Plantation in Natchez, Mississippi. Unfortunately I could only stay for one night, but that stay was easily the one I enjoyed most during my trip.
Ruth Ellen Calhoun welcomed me warmly into her beautiful home and showed me around the old house. Her enthusiasm for the history of the place was contagious, her knowledge fascinating. I immensely enjoyed the tour.
The guest rooms are located in an outbuilding which is just as old as the main house, though of course nowadays fitted with all modern amenities. My room was clean and comfortable, furnished with beautiful antiques. It had an en-suite bathroom, admittedly not very modern or luxurious, but quite sufficient. I spent the evening on the upstairs porch, enjoying the warm night (even though by Mississippi standards, as Ruth Ellen told me, it was actually rather cool). Here at last I had the peace and quiet I had looked for but had not found in many of the other places I stayed at. Some of that time I spent reading the transcripts of letters one of the inhabitants of the plantation wrote about life there in the 19th century, which made the history of the place come alive even more.
Breakfast next morning was served by Lizzie, the housekeeper at Elgin Plantation for 40 years. The food was excellent and it was a pleasure talking to Lizzie. I would have loved to stay longer and explore the grounds and the area, but I had other plans I could not cancel. If I ever find myself in Mississippi again, I will certainly visit Elgin again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank OlifantBerlin
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This plantation is located in a neighbor hood area that is very secluded and quite beautiful. The sounds of the wildlife echoes in the morning and late night and you swear that a horse drawn buggy will be coming soon down the road. Our accommodations were quite lovely and were located in the former servant quarters of the plantation. It was extremely quiet and very clean and the hosts provided refreshments if you needed it at any hour of the day or night. With the accomodations came a tour of the main house and I have to say that it was the best tour of a plantation that I have ever had. Mrs. Calhoun was a fount of knowledge (quite incredible) and she painted a wonderful picture of how life on the plantation had been. Quite frankly, all three of us felt that we will never forget her and how she made history come alive. If only we had that in our history teachers!!!

If you are looking to see and experience history, please stay there and enjoy Mrs. Calhoun's hospitality. By the way, if you read the review by Jessica and her friend, they were staying there as well and we enjoyed their company as well. Truly Southern hospitality lives. Take the opportunity to stay at Elgin. You will not be sorry!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank karen c
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My dear friend and I have a strong pull to the beautiful city of Natchez that keeps us there whenever we can steal away a weekend! We try to stay at a different B&B every trip - and have never been disappointed with Dunleith, Monmouth, the Guest House, etc.; however, Elgin certainly stole our heart. We arrived very late on a Friday night and I had been driving most of the day - we were so happy to be greated by Mrs. Ruth Ellen Calhoun eventhough it was past 10 o'clock! She showed us to our room and had sandwiches on hand for us when we arrived! We were so thankful to have a bite to eat before bed! The next morning our breakfast was delicious!! Lizzie offered us personality and wisdom as well as a lovely meal. Mrs. Calhoun welcomed us into her home and literally left no question unanswered. We were amazed at the vast amount of information she can recite on prompt! WOW! We ended up talking and visiting with Mrs. Calhoun most of the morning! She really wanted us to have a wonderful stay and offered any advice as to our trip: restaurants, shows, tours, etc. The next morning we were sad to have missed her before she went to church. We just wanted to see her again and thank her for everything - so, we decided to visit her place of worship - the beautiful Trinity Episcopal Church. We sat in the balcony because we did not have proper church clothes (what would mother say!) and thoroughly enjoyed the service. We caught a glimpse of Mrs. Calhoun on our way back to our pew after communion - we waved and smiled to let her know how much we appreciate all of her help and all that she did for us. When we left to head home (Jackson, and Oxford for me) we were both so depressed that our weekend had ended. The only way we managed to make ourselves feel better was to start planning our next trip to Natchez and Elgin (with our husbands this time!) We felt so lucky to have met such a great lady during our weekend way! Natchez is indeed beautiful, but people such as Mrs. Calhoun and Ms. Lizzie are what make it outstanding and everlasting! We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jessica M
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The guest house at Elgin Plantation provided us with the peaceful, "southern" experience we were looking for on our recent trip to Natchez. Lizzie served a satisfying breakfast and engaged in wonderful conversation each morning. Ruth Ellen Calhoun hosted our stay with true grace. She offered knowledgeable assistance when asked for advice about our itinerary for the day. Each of our two nights were spent comfortably in the upstairs bedrooms complete with fireplaces and outside porch. On our last morning, Ruth Ellen welcomed us for a personal tour of the main house. We felt like we were family by the time we departed that morning. We were delighted to have had the opportunity to stay in the Elgin Plantation Guest House.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MCG79
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Wonderful location, thoughtful hosts, great help and fun place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends