“Really enjoyable tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Longwood

Longwood
Ranked #1 of 49 things to do in Natchez
More attraction details
Owner description: Construction on this architectural gem, the largest octagonal house in the U.S., began in 1860, but was interrupted by the onset of war. A National Historic Landmark, the still-unfinished mansion is an enduring symbol of the impact of the Civil War.
Pershore, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Really enjoyable tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have to admit that my husband and I visited Longwood because the outside had featured in the TV series True Blood of which he is a huge fan. I have to admit to not expecting too much from this house but how wrong I was.When we got there, the house was incredibly beautiful and the tour was simply excellent. The house is not finished inside and it is the story of the building of the house and how it came to remain unfinished inside which was so intriguing. A really great way to spend a few hours - make sure you do the tour so that you can hear the full story of this house.

• Polish first
mississippi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great House!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I enjoyed the tour and the beautiful grounds! The house is full of history and interesting stories. I did not find the guard to be rude, I thought the price was very fair compared to some of the other homes I have toured. Thumbs up!!

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Motorcyle riders beware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

First let me say the tour was very good and recommend it. Tour guides are excellant but the guard / ticket taker needs better training, procedures, policies and safety awareness.

Warning to motorcycle riders: This is coming from a rider with 40 years experience. I am cautious about gravel conditions and inquired about conditions before traversing this road.

My wife and another couple were traveling on goldwings and decided to visit this plantation.
The gate house is about 100 yards from the road on hard packed gravel. I requested information from the guard and ticket taker as to the condition of the gravel, length and all conditions of the gravel road we would travel to the main house. The guard stated there was some loose gravel around the bend and it was a short distance to the main house. We requested to leave our motorcycles at the gate house and walk to the main house. There was room to park the motorcycles at the gate house and we would not mind the walk in.

We were told several times by the guard we could not park there and needed to drive the road to the house. The guard stated several times the road was good and we would not crash because of gravel. He never stated anything about a incline or bend in the road.I wanted to avoid the gravel but was not given the option to park at the guard house, forcing me to travel the gravel.

Our ladies decided to walk in and we started the drive carefully up the road. This is a single lane road and once you commit to it, you have no way to turn around. You have probably guessed by now that around the bend and up the gravel incline, the wing went down on its side. The gravel was loose and deep from cars pushing it into drifts.

The occupants of the car behind us helped get the wing back on two wheels and we surveyed the damge. Dented muffler, scraped paint, bent foot peg and a cut on my arm.

Made our way to the main house and expressed our displeasure for being given bad information and not being allowed to park at the guard house.The tour guides at the main house told us that several bikes have gone down on the entry road and the guard was supposed to warn motor cycle riders not to travel it..

The exit road goes out the rear of the property and was told not to attempt exiting that way due to gravel and length.

The staff contacted the guard by phone to hold the traffic on the single lane gravel road so we could exit down the entry road. That was along trip down the same road with the same conditions. The guard would not come out the guard house as we came by. There was prior history of motorcycles bring dropped due to the gravel conditions of this road. Management is negligent in in failing to inform the motorcycling public of the hazard and needs to takes steps to do so.

A simple sign advising: Motorcycles should avoid this road due to loose gravel and incline. Please park here and walk in .

It was a long ride back to Texas with a damaged bike and a injured arm. Thankfully our ladies were not on the bikes and there was no damage that prevented operating the motorcycle on the return home trip. Next time I will trust my angel on my shoulder and not the staff of a facility.

1 Thank Randy K
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unbelievable place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

This home was so beautiful...the long winding road to the house was gorgeous....just trying to imagine what it must have been like "back when..." The history of this property was quite a story. We loved the house, the grounds, the view and the tour...amazing history.

Claremore, Oklahoma
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Unfinished plantation is worth the stop.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

This plantation is a must see on your tours of plantation homes. It is unfinished, but oh so incredible. The tour is well worth the money (stop by the Natchez Visitor Center and you can get tickets to see 3 plantations for $30). The house is simply unbelievable. Unfortunately you can not take pictures on the basement floor that is finished, but the rest is freely photographed.