“Impressive with great garden”
Review of The Burn

The Burn
Ranked #10 of 40 Natchez B&B and Inns
High Wycombe, UK
“Impressive with great garden”
Reviewed April 13, 2007

In Natchez of all places it just has to be an historic B & B. We stayed at the impressive-looking The Burn for 2 nights in April during this year's Spring Pilgrimage. Unlike previous reviewers we did not meet the owners but were well looked after by their staff. We and a friend had the Laura and the Ernestine rooms, both very spacious and furnished to the style of the house. There was a shared balcony between us overlooking the delightful courtyard garden. The grounds are lovely and the swimming pool must be a godsend in the summer. The house is in a quiet part of town but convenient for sightseeing. Wine was served late afternoon prior to a tour of the house. Breakfast, at the fixed time of 8.30am, was very good (though this Brit can't quite develop a taste for grits at breakfast). We dine well at the King's Tavern and at Biscuits & Blues. Natchez was surprisingly quiet given it was Spring Pilgrimage time. It was a great experience to visit so many of the houses and staying at The Burn was the icing on the cake.

• Liked — Room and the gardens
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank exlancs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Jackson, MS
Reviewed November 2, 2006

I couldn't have enjoyed my stay at this beautiful home more. With its rich history and beautiful decor, my visit to The Burn was truly the highlight of my trip to Natchez, Mississippi. I stayed in the Ernestine room, with its second floor porch, overlooking the beautiful courtyard. I spent a good part of my time just relaxing and enjoying the scenery. The owners of The Burn, the Greens, truly conveyed the spirit of the "Hospitality State," greeting me with a smile and a handshake and making me feel as if their home was my own. I would recommend a stay at The Burn to anyone, and I plan on returning myself as soon as possible!

• Liked — The history and hospitality
  • Disliked — that I had to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — be sure to take the tour
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
Jackson, MS
Reviewed October 30, 2006

The Burn is a top-notch B&B. Not only was the place absolutely beautiful, but the owners were a pleasure to get to know as well. Everything was perfect upon first arrival. I stayed one night at The Burn in the Laura room. The room was wonderful. It has the most comfortable king size bed, a very spacious bathroom, and beautiful antiques. A tour of the grounds revealed a huge swimming pool, and gorgeous gardens. Not to mention, breakfast the next morning was wonderful.
Contrary to other reviews, the place is full of furniture. It is my understanding that the owners just purchased The Burn this year and have really out done themselves by furnishing the entire B&B so quickly. I could not have asked for a better place to stay. If you are ever considering going to Natchez, The Burn is a most stay B&B. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank JMAC1121
Jackson, Miss.
Reviewed October 30, 2006

I stayed at the Burn shortly before Halloween in 2006. I must say that I have never had such an extraordinary experience.

The concerns of other TA members should be alleviated--now the Burn is now fully furnished and the new owners have really hit their stride. We arrived on a spectacular Fall afternoon and were greeted immediately by the wonderful family that owns the Burn. After a tour of the premises and the property we were shown to our rooms.

I stayed in the Ernestine Room, which contains a double bed and also a single, making it perfect for families. There was a balcony overseeing the courtyard below, complete with burbling fountain and a perfectly landscaped garden.

Later that night we attended a Halloween property on the premises and mingled with many locals and other guests. I was welcomed as a long-time friend and not as a complete stranger.

Perhaps my favorite parts were the tour of the main house and the ghost stories told by the owners of the Burn. On Halloween, you want to hear a little spookiness, and knowing that it was rumored that the ghosts of a young girl who died a century before roamed the second floor made me feel like a kid again, huddled around a campfire. (In addition, the Burn had been a Union hospital during the Civil War, and it was easy to manufacture one's own tales of the ghosts of fallen soldiers!).

The next day I was greeted by the smell of fresh-baked quiche. There were two varieties: a spinach with prosciutto and a tomato and basil. As a vegetarian, I appreciated the delicious alternative with its homemade crust and juicy tomatoes. The quiche was accompanied by grits, homemade biscuits, and spiced fruit, with ample decanters of water and orange juice placed on the linen-covered tables.

The graciousness of the Burn staff and to all the locals I met in Natchez were wondrous. I am a Burn fan for life, and will most certainly return in the future. The Burn is the very epitome of the Southern bed & breakfast.

• Liked — The historic home and the wonderful staff (although the food was great, too).
  • Disliked — It was all wonderful.
  • Tips/Secrets — Be prepared to spend a little money down the street at Fat Mama's getting great margaritas!
  • Stayed October 2006
2 Thank dmccarty
Hattiesburg, MS
Reviewed October 29, 2006

I recently had the pleasure of getting away to The Burn in Natchez, Mississippi. The home was beautiful, the furnishings were amazing, and the hosts were unmatchable. Though it was too cold to swim, the beauty of the swimming pool, built of bricks from a removed quarter house, added a touch that should not be missed. Knowledgeable as to all aspects of the home, the furnishings, and the town, the Green's know how to run a Bed and Breakfast. Natchez is worth visiting for The Burn, alone.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shcade
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2006

Myslef and my husband visisted the burn in April 06 for two nights, overall a good experience but needs some improvement.
We booked it becaue it was listed in several travel books as a luxury B&B. First the positives - beautiful setting with loveley front and rear gardens and good size pool. Nice rooms with a shared balcony overlooking the courtyard (more on rooms later). Free water and cold drinks you can help yourself to at any time. Rose the cook made us a great pot of coffee every morning that we could drink on the balcony before breakfast. The host was lovely and really helpfull, even making dinner reservations for us, she really wanted us to have a good time and could not have been more helpful. Next things that need improvement.

Having paid 160 u.s dollars a night we found the bathroom tiny with only a shower and no storage space for any toiletories. The bedroom did not have any cabinets at all and no draws - so we had to leave all our underwear - t shirts etc in our suitecases. On opening the closet door it fell off in my hand?. Breakfast -if your dont like grits you are in trouble (sorry british people dont). Maybe i am nit picking now but there were no waste (trash) pins in the room either and would have liked some sun loungers around the loveley pool.

In fairness to the owners they had only purchased the B&B two months earlier (the previous owner stripped it of everything). So hopefully they will put back the finishing touches to make it a luxury B&B again.

I would say to anyone thinking of visisting still to go but not to expect the luxury element that I did and maybe get a reduced rate

• Liked — Beautiful settting and lovely host
  • Disliked — poor facilites
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paulinen
Jackson
Reviewed August 31, 2006

I have recently stayed at the Burn and I had a wonderful experience. The furnishings throughout the house were as nice as I have ever seen in Natchez and were actually more to my taste than most other antebellum homes in the area. The bedrooms were very nice and the beds were extremely comfortable. The pool was great to lounge around during the afternoon while having a glass of wine and looking over the grounds and the owners and staff of the Burn were definately first rate. I will definately return to the Burn next time I need a relaxing retreat from the busy city and I would highly recomend it! My only complaint about the Burn is that I could not have my 7 year old son stay with me, but I guess it was nice not having the kids around for my vacation.

• Liked — Amazing Grounds
  • Disliked — No young kids
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple