“Excellent Food and Even Better Service”
Review of Roux 61

Roux 61
Ranked #2 of 94 Restaurants in Natchez
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Louisville, Kentucky
“Excellent Food and Even Better Service”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I just ate at Roux 61 based on the many positive reviews. We called about when their dinner menu started and was told that they have only one menu and it is all day. We got to the restaurant around 4:30PM. The restaurant is a little ways out of Natchez and our GPS had difficulty locating the address. However, a phone call to the restaurant and some friendly directions resolved this problem.

This is a large restaurant with I think three separate dining areas and at least two different bars. We were seated immediately in the back dining area. Our server, Allison approached our table immediately and toke our drink order. When she returned she made several recommendations for dinner and even told us which items she had personally eaten and the pros and cons.

We started with some Crawfish étoufée and Cheese cake which is shrimp and alligator. The crawfish etoufee was excellent and the cheesecake dish was very good with a consistency similar to quiche. We then had the blackened catfish, which came with a salad. Allison, the waitress described the house salad, so I opted for the Caesar salad. The salad came in a bowl, which was too small and should have been placed in a plate. My wife ordered the Oyster Poboy, she was glad she only got one-half order-it was huge. The catfish was very good, not to blacked and seasoned perfectly. The poboy had plenty of oysters and the sauce made the sandwich outstanding.

Since we were on a roll, and could not eat all of our food we decided to get a “to-go” box so we could order some gumbo and chargrilled oysters. I have had chargrilled several times and was looking forward to this dish. However, I was disappointed when they arrived. The oysters had very little garlic butter and just was not up to par with the dishes I had had in Baton Rouge or New Orleans. We were warned that the gumbo came with some very dark roux, almost like a burnt taste. While there was plenty of seafood and sausage, I found the roux to overwhelm the taste of the dish. We should have just finished our dinner and not order the last two appetizers.

However, compared to some other dishes we have had in the area, I would say the overall experience was very good. The service with Allison was excellent and all that food, plus two beers was only $73.00. Next time I am in the area, I will certainly visit Roux 61 again.

• Visited August 2014

Memphis
“A new favorite place to eat in Natchez”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My wife and I had dinner with another couple on a Thursday evening in July. It’s located just a few miles south of town on Hwy 61. Arriving around 7:00 p.m. from the outside it appeared to be very busy, but we were immediately seated. The appetizer of fried green tomatoes was different from any we’d ever had before, but very good. Both my wife and I had very good dinners – the Catfish LaBeaux for me (opted for the fried catfish version, topped with a crawfish sauce) and my wife had the seafood potato - 2 baked potatoes stuffed/covered with shrimp, crab and scallops in a lobster cream sauce. Servings were very generous so we both had leftovers to take home. We also had a chance to sample the bread pudding with a delicious rum sauce…excellent! Our server was knowledgeable of the menu and very efficient…perhaps a bit too efficient as our salads came out before we were done with appetizer, shortly followed by the main courses. We’d rather had a more relaxing meal without the table full of plates. Total for our meal, including a couple of drinks was just under $80. We will definitely schedule another trip to Roux 61 on our next trip to Natchez.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank grizfan
Nixa
“Great food, great service!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My husband and I went to Royx 61 on a recommendation from a lady who worked at the campground where we were staying. And I'm so glad we did. Everything was great from the salad (delicious, with fresh greens, mandarin oranges, nuts and cheese) to the entree to the dessert. Try the Plantation Cake! It's wonderful. Our server was very helpful and friendly. Just overall a great experience. We will go out of our way to go back!!

• Visited June 2014
“Spot on!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Our waitress Taylor, very friendly and helpful. Being from the Gulf Coast, we didn't expect the seafood to be outstanding but it was very fresh and tasty! Service and atmosphere was very good. Will come again.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“WOW!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I pass through this area regularly travelling from my home in New Orleans to my mom's home in Jena, LA. When they were building Roux 61, I thought they must be crazy building a restaurant that size out on the highway - no one will ever come. Well every time Ive passed since they opened the parking lot has been full - so - this trip I stopped for dinner.
All I can say is GREAT JOB! WOW! The food was delicious and plenty of it, waiters very friendly and the pricing very reasonable.
WE LOVED IT! Proof if you build it and do it right - they will come!

Visited July 2014