“Extraordinary Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Natchez
Riverside Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 42 Natchez B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Natchez is a town with many B&Bs and lovely places to stay of which I have stayed at many through the years. However, the Riverside B&B is in a class by itself both in Natchez or elsewhere. Do not be put off by the fact that you only can pay by cash or check and there is no website. I was initially, but this is travel to a different place where time moves at a very different place; but It is worth every nickle and then some of your time. The location is extraordinary- on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. From the vantage point of the magnificent front porch and garden or beautiful 2nd floor balcony, one could be hard put to find a better spot to spend a morning or evening even in the summer time.
Visiting @ the Riverside is like staying with a doting uncle with more treasures than a mind can fathom. Durel is an extraordinary conversationalist with whom you could spend endless time listening to his stories. Don't be in a hurry, you do not want to miss a one. But his hospitality is unmatched in my experience. It probably starts with the endless wine on the rear porch, but it is also when he leaves a pitcher of ice water outside your door in the evening or the fresh cafe ole in the morning, or his many recommendations for dining and on and on. You feel welcome and comfortable at his home and feel like you have known him forever. The breakfast is a feast of food and conversation that should also be taken at leisure and is most enjoyable.
The Riverside itself has an extraordinary # of fine antique furnishings, paintings, porcelins and china for which Durel can provide lavish history. Yet, you are encouraged to indulge in them rather than simply observe. Our room and bath was well furnished with great antiques and a claw foot tub. It was very comfortable.
We look forward for the next opportunity to spend another weekend with a great host and remarkable B&B.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WickedWalt

Reviewed June 8, 2009

This goes way beyond a 5 star rating!! A perfect destination. We had the "Princess" room, a large 4 poster bed with original lace drapes, used by a Spanish princess, simply beautiful. It definitely has the wow factor. The views over the Mississippi from the verandah were breathtaking, and don't miss a sunset!! However what made it so special was Durell, you are waited on like royalty and his stories will have you in stitches!!! You really will want to take him home.
Finally, don't waste your time and money visiting the ante-bellum/plantation houses, stay here instead........ enjoy!!!!!!! We did, and we will be back!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I first stayed at Riverside about 1997, I found it one day exploring the back streets of Natchez along the bluff. I had never seen it advertised anywhere and just happened across it. I saw a small sign on the back entrance that said Riverside B&B and being the adverturous person I am went went up and knocked on the back door. A very nice man answered the door and I explained how I had happen to come across the place and aploigized for disturbing him. He was very nice and Invited me in and proceed to show me around and tell me about Riverside. To say I was impressed would be a hugh understatement, I am a person that dearly loves old homes and antiques and I though I had died and went to Heaven. The view from the cliff of the Mississippi was breath taking and at the time the rose garden was blumming, there were beautiful flowers everywhere, just to much! I often recall sitting on the balcony or porch remembering that first time I met Durell and after a few glasses of wine that never run out, I swear I have seen Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and Jim floating down that old lazy river, who knows I may have! I have stayed with Durell more times than I can can count by now and I always feel the same when I get there. It truly is a place that you just don't want to leave and go do anything, I have sit on that balcony from before sundown to the wee hours of the morning indulging in the pleasures of life. I would like to apoligize to the Castle Restaurant for missing many reservations, I'm sure they understand. Thanks to the internet and word of mouth I have a much harder time booking my weekend get-a-ways at Riverside now much to my distaste. Fortunately I am going this weekend with my new wife for our aniversay, she's never been, Boy am I going to get lucky.
Here's a toast to my good friend Durell, he's put up with my foolishness for many years now and I'm going to bring the wine!! Cheers and Bravo for making your dream come true, you truly do have the best B&B in the South.

Your Friend Tommy R

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tigers1980
Reviewed March 3, 2009

The house is beautiful... filled with antiques. Breakfast was splendid, a grand vareity of delicious food.

our host made us feel at home, he treated us like family.
we loved our stay, our room had furniture as old as the town.
I enjoyed sleping in a bed made for royalty.
our host made us feel like royalty.
we "ll be back.

Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2009

My partner and I absolutely loved our stay. The home was beautiful, and the host, Durell, was amazing. He was just an incredible host - served the most fabulous breakfast on beautiful china, brought wine to all of us visiting on the upstairs porch while we enjoyed the view, pointed out all of the best places to visit, and told the most amusing stories. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liv2swim
Reviewed January 24, 2009

our weekend at riverside was wonderful. the owner met all of our needs and helped us with planning our tour of beautiful natchez.breakfast the next morning was the best everAAAAAA.the view from his home can't be beat, the best in natchez.AAAAAAAAAAAA.we are planning a return trip soon.!!!!

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank mikes50
Reviewed August 17, 2008

My boyfriend and I chose the Riverside based on reviews from TripAdvisor - and we are so glad we did!

The house is beautiful, full of antiques. If clutter is not your thing, and a little dust turns you off - this place may not be for you. But I loved all the history. The bedroom was charming and the bed was a canopy from the 1800s. We are tall, so it was short for us, but for one night it was no big deal.

The best part of the Riverside are the commanding views of the Mississippi. Durrell gave us a carafe of wine on the first evening and a pitcher of coffee the next morning to drink out on the balcony. This was my favorite part of the trip.

The breakfast Durell cooked for us was one of the best meals I have ever had. Homemade biscuits, cheese grits, omelet, mini pecan pancakes - etc etc! It was wonderful!

Also staying at the house was a lovely couple from LaFayette. It was really nice getting to know them at the breakfast.

Durrell is also a great source of information about Natchez. We took many of his suggestions and did not regret it.

We also left a phone charger in the bedroom and he sent it back to us express in the mail. Such a great man!

We had a wonderful stay at the Riverside. WIshing I were back there right now!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple