“Top thing to do in Natchez if you are in Spring or Fall”

Natchez Pilgrimage Tours Day Tours
Ranked #4 of 11 Tours in Natchez
Reviewed April 22, 2012

It is my pleasure to be in this biannual event arranged by Natchez Garden Club since 1930s. Tour tickets (morning, afternoon or combo) can be purchased online or at the visitor center and after that you can go to three houses at your pace or take the shuttle from the visitor center for $3 more (well worth it in my opinion).

I'd like to suggest to go early since you might want to spend more time at bigger house in your tour list and if you are planning to use shuttle, you need to be at the visitor center in time. I was on "pink" tour and visited three houses: the towers (only one available year round to visit), Banker's house (interesting home attached to the bank-- a peculiar requirement at that time) and Ellicott Hill house (with beautiful brick backyard and the place raising the first United States flag in the Natchez District).

Photograph allowed in Banker's house only. The towers is very elegant and owners are dressing in Victorian dresses and showing valuable artifacts, antiques and that is the main reason photograph is not allowed.

7  Thank bigboy61455
in 11 reviews
in 8 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed April 17, 2012

Natchez is an unbelievable national treasure. Everything is beautiful and the homes are without equal. Just being there you feel like you are stepping back in time. I have been going to Natchez for over 20 years. It's probably my favorite place to go. The pageant isn't something I would go to over and over again, but I would definitely recommend seeing it once. It's very sweet and a sort of nostalgic nod to earlier times.

3  Thank TexasTammy
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We only had one day in Natchez to take advantage of the house tours. We got our tickets ahead of time and picked them up at the Visitor Center. We toured 3 houses in the morning and in 2 of them actually met the owners. Beautiful homes and interesting tours. One of the homes, Dunbar (I think), was given to the city in 1911. The city sold all the contents of the home and it just sat for many, many years before one of the clubs in Natchez purchased it and began to restore it and try and locate some of the original furniture. Before that the home was open and used as a playground by neighborhood children. We are all lucky it wasn't destroyed. You can pick the 3 house tour package online and the houses vary depending on the day you are there and whether you go in the morning or afternoon. Can't say enough about the staff at the visitor center. Great southern hospitality. Interesting exhibits also.

4  Thank nicolediane
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We happened upon this event by chance last Spring and had a great time. The homes were a sight and we learned a lot about the people who lived in them. But to really get the most out of the experience you have to engage the hostesses and ask questions. The town goes all out during the event, complete with an evening reenactment of a centennial ball.

5  Thank jwillie44
See more reviews
Reviewed March 23, 2011

After reading some reviews I had low expectations but I must say I was thoroughly surprised by how much I enjoyed the Historic Natchez Pageant. The event was well worth the price of the ticket considering how much hard work goes into a production like this, In addition the proceeds go towards the hefty expenses of preserving the beautiful period homes in the Natchez area. I understand there have been some changes made to include speaking parts and more background about the history of all the early inhabitants- including the Natchez Indians and the contributions made by African Americans in the settlement of the area. What impressed me most was the time and dedication required of the performers, many of them age 8-18. After speaking with a local, I learned that these young people begin a rigorous practice schedule months ahead of time, not to mention the out of pocket expenses for the beautiful and elaborate costumes. The sense of community and pride is evident here and in my opinion is to be highly commended.

6  Thank PropertyManagement07