“A home away from home -- and close to downtown attractions.”

Bisland House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 40 Natchez B&B and Inns
New Orleans, Louisiana
“A home away from home -- and close to downtown attractions.”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Bisland House is very pretty, and Christine and her husband Byron will make you feel right at home in their home.

The house has a very warm, inviting mixture of antique furniture, stained glass windows, large rugs, pretty window treatments (I love lace sheers!), as well as a large screen TV (on which I watched a DVD on my stay there) which is unseen when not in use. It is in an antique-looking armoire, so even the modern electronics that make life nice do not disturb the elegance of the atmosphere. Byron showed me how to set it up. As their website says, you are welcome to use what is there.

The house has porch swings upstairs and downstairs. Each has a lovely, clean quilt thrown over it which makes the swing look and feel comfortable. If I had gone to Natchez when the weather was milder I would have spent more than a few moments on each of them. They must be incredible during October! Christine offered to set up fans outside, but I wasn’t brave enough to face the heat even with the fans.

The heat index for the day I left was 111 degrees at 2:00, with a possible high heat index of 125. The house was a little warm for me, especially downstairs on my first night in the main parlor, and one morning in the foyer where I sat to write a letter between 7:00 and 7:30 A.M. Most of the businesses I visited felt about the same. The humidity was really driving up the heat index. Christine had the door closed to my bedroom and a nice, powerful little fan on the floor to circulate the air, too. This gave the room a cooler feel than the rest of the house which made it pleasant.

Christine worked around my schedule so I could eat breakfast later than usual (9 AM), and somehow the temperature in the dining room was fine – better than 7:45 AM when I left. I was the only one there mid-week, and Christine sat and chatted with me while I finished my breakfast. That was very nice of her, and she is as pleasant to talk with as the other reviews will tell you. She gave me good directions to the site I was going to see, and to the restaurant I was going to for lunch.

There was freshly brewed coffee on a stand in the hallway upstairs, right outside my bedroom door in the morning. Wonderful! I stayed in the smaller room – Michelle’s Room. It was soooo clean, had its own little bathroom with a shower, a few antique pieces of furniture, a rather new mattress, and SHEETS YOU WON’T BELIEVE!! Soooo soft!!! You’ll have to touch ’em to believe me. If you fall in love with the sheets, Christine will tell you how to get your own.

Bisland House is in a great location for a tourist – which was one of the reasons I chose it in the first place. It was a great fit for me, and I would encourage others to stay there, too. At Bisland, it isn’t all about the house; it is about you and your stay in Natchez, and about the Tim’s hospitality. The house just adds flavor to your experience in a way that will make you want to return. It’s not a museum experience. It is like a home away from home. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
bislandhouse, Owner at Bisland House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
You are too kind to write such a wonderful review! Byron and I very much appreciate it! I enjoyed chatting with you at breakfast also. It is very hard to control the temperature in these old homes. We try our best with the central ac units and the fans. Can't wait for cooler weather! Christine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Bourg, Louisiana
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The momoent we arrived at the Bisland House our host welcomed us, arranged a carriage tour of downtown Natchez, and provided us with valuable information on sights and dining.
Our accomodations were of excellent quality with a romantic atmosphere that met our every expectation. This bed and breakfast is one of the best we have ever visited and we hope to able to enjoy it again one day.

San Marcos, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Christine is a so sweet, gracious, & accomodating. Byron very helpful, too. Both such nice folks.
House is so nice. Upper front porch a real treat. Room was exquisite. Whole house decorated beautifully. Comfortable.Close to places to visit.
We stayed in Jessi's Room. it was as pretty as the picture shown online. Bed was very comfortable. Linens are heavenly! Lots of pillows, too.
Food was fabulous!!! Served in a lovely dining room, on delightful dishes. Just made one feel so spoiled.
The only thing remotely less than perfect was the shower didn't have real hot water. But, otherwise every thing great.

Room Tip: Jessi's Room is terrific!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
bislandhouse, Owner at Bisland House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
Thank you for your most kind review. Sorry about the bell pepper in the eggs. I try to be aware of guests likes and dislikes for breakfast. Next time, remind me and I will make sure you get something delicious but without bell pepper. :) Christine
Lon
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We arrived in Natchez, MS with the intention of spending the night and then starting on the Natchez Trace Parkway early the next morning. The first thing I did upon checking into our room was filling our beautiful bath up with provided lavender sea salt and hot water and soak away 6+ hours in the car! We stayed in Danielle's Room and - despite it being 100+ degrees outside - were never uncomfortable with the temperature as the A/C was powerful and worked all night. We were provided with a bunch of brochures and other literature on the local area which helped us choose where we wanted to go to dinner (we ended up at Magnolia's on the riverfront which wasn't actually that great but did have an amazing view) - this was after we snacked on some delicious cookies and lemonade that were left out for guests. The extensive TV cable selection was awesome for unwinding after dinner.

My only issue was breakfast - the pepper and eggs weren't my favorite - but the innkeeper's granddaughter helping out was adorable, and hearing about her her family's migration from Katrina-NOLA was fascinating.

I'd definitely recommend to anyone staying in Natchez.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review! Sorry about the hot water. Please tell me next time and I can show you how to get the handle just right on the shower to get a great hot shower! :) Christine
Walker, La.
Reviewed July 17, 2011

From the time we were greeted by Christine the owner and host we were so impressed and felt so comfortable...it felt like home away from home. The home was beautiful, the food was out of this world and the southern hospitality from both Christine and Byron was awesome.. We feel like we have made life long friends..We will recommend Bisland House to everyone we know and brag highly on the friendly downhome feeling they give you and hospitality they gave us...They are the best...Thanks Christine and Byron for one of the best experiences we have every had....Danny Brose and Pam Gaudin

Room Tip: Our room was the Danielle's Room, very comfortable and simply decorated and homey feeling
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Laurel, Mississippi
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We recently spent one night at the Bisland House B & B in Natchez. It was very nice,and clean. I felt as if I were staying with an old friend. Christine was a very kind host, and really helped us plan the rest of our trip. She offered a lot of good advice on where to go and what to do. The place Breaud's that she recommened we eat supper at was awesome! Christine's breakfast was delicious also. The Bisland House is close enough we were able to walk to downtown. I would recommend staying here on your next trip to Natchez, Ms.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Christine and Byron were excellent hosts with much knowledge about the area and willing to share their take on where to go and what to see. Christine is an excellent cook; she took as much care in presentation of the food as she did the taste of it. Very delicious! Great little get-away place for short stays like we did, but would have loved to stay longer. You just can't enjoy all Natchez in less than 48 hours. Plan to stay at the Bisland House longer next time! I highly recommend staying with Christine anytime you're in southern Mississippi. Enjoy the landscape, enjoy the history!

Room Tip: Downstairs bedroom only has bath with hand-held shower, but even my rough-n-tough boyfriend didn'...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
bislandhouse, Owner at Bisland House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
Thank you for your kind review. We enjoyed your company! Christine