“A Hidden Treasure! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Glenfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast

Glenfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #34 of 41 Natchez B&B and Inns
Pensacola, Florida
“A Hidden Treasure! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We loved EVERYTHING about this Bed & Breakfast; from that much-talked-about southern hospitality of the owners and staff, to the beautiful home and surrounding gardens. They, by far, exceeded our expectations! This charming home is what one would expect from an authentically-preserved antebellum home. Unlike some of the other homes we toured in the area, this wonderfully preserved home has managed to maintain its pre-civil war charm; many of the window panes still have the original paint! During our tour of the home, we "felt" an instant connection with the past 200 years' residents.

We definitely recommend this B&B to people/families of all ages; we are a young couple and found the experience to be intimate and romantic. There was also an elderly couple and a young family at the B&B during our stay, and we thoroughly enjoyed our "visiting" and learning about the rest of the guests during breakfast! Breakfast was also a pleasant surprise; we were provided a deliciously home-made, self-serve buffet! Great Southern Cooking included in the price, to boot! EXCEPTIONAL STAY, FROM START TO END!!!

One last note: I've read other reviews that talk about the "noise" at this particular B&B. I'm not sure what they are comparing it to, but the noise is exactly what you would expect from sleeping in ANYONE'S home w/multiple guests. I grew up in a large family (consisting of more than 4 people), and found the noise to be at a minimal. If you are accustomed to living alone or a quiet couple, then you will be disappointed with the noise in ANY B&B and hotel. I stayed at a local hotel (during a prior visit) and found the noise at the hotel to be MUCH worse. So its important to take your personal lifestyle, experiences, and expectations into consideration, when considering a B&B vs. hotel, etc. ; )

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LaurieM165
glenfieldbb, Owner at Glenfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Loved having you both staying with us. It's always a delight to have young couples appreciate the southern history and culture that once was. You were wonderful house guest and I do hope that you will be back to visit one day soon.

Marjorie

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

You must be into history to really appreciate this fine old home. It's an early built. Before the grand mansions of the big column era. The home is Historically preserved and if you're looking for modern conveniences of hot tubs and new tile you won't find it here. What you will find is one of the most charming and sincere southern homeowners who truly welcomes her guest. You will find original pieces of antiques that dealers would only dream of owning like the german piano. The setting is very tranquil and rich in history. The only known skirmish during the war was on the grounds of Glenfield and the bullet hole denotes this artifact. I would stay here again and again as I truly feel comfort and customer service is worth every dollar spent when I am on vacation. Natchez is a hidden gem of a historic town and Mrs Marjorie's home is definitely worth staying at to enjoy your part in history.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
glenfieldbb, Owner at Glenfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
You are very kind to express the words you have written and taken the time out of your schedule to do so. I love to find out my guest have enjoyed their stay here at Glenfield. It is a nice when I hear the expressiveness you have given in such detail about your enjoyment during your stay. You and your wife were a lovely couple to have stay in my home. I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

if you are expecting the grandeur of a baton rouge home you will be disappointed ......in saying this the room rate reflects that this is not the above.
The room was a little musty, bed was small and air con noisy. The bathroom facilities where not an ensuite and a walk down the hall to toilet and shower were required.
The hostess was friendly and egar to share her family home and local information

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank kruuza
Thank you for your response regarding your stay at my family's ancestry home Glenfield. Mississippi Plantation homes and Louisiana Plantation homes are far different - and I don't believe I have ever advertised as being a "Louisiana Plantation" home.

In order to understand the difference when coming to America you may have wanted to read a bit about southern plantation homes before your travels. Here is an insert for you:

"Plantation complexes in the Southeastern United States refers to the built environment (or complex) that was common on agricultural plantations in the American South from the 17th into the 20th century. The complex included everything from the main residence down to the pens for livestock. A plantation originally denoted a settlement in which settlers were "planted" to establish a colonial base. Southern plantations were generally self-sufficient settlements that relied on the forced labor of slaves, similar to the way that a medieval manorial estate relied upon the forced labor of serfs." Furthermore, "A popular misconception, often perpetuated in print and film, that the typical plantation had a grand mansion and hundreds of slaves is undermined by reality. These large estates did exist, but represented only a small percentage of the plantations that once existed in the South."

I'm sure you can google search further about the difference in plantations and what to expect before your next trip to the United States, as well as understanding the differences in areas as I do when travelling to Europe. Our home still sets on the original 150 acre Spanish Grant which was a working Plantation years ago, which I mention in the tour.

As for the room condition you mentioned, I personally inspect or my manager inspects each room - and at breakfast we always ask how were your accommodations? As I did with you and your wife. And wish I would have known at check-in if something was not right to have it looked into for you, as I have not had any complaints regarding the room you occupied. I do hope that you made it home safely and if in the states again will consider your stay at Glenfield.

Jonesboro, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My momma and I take a road trip together every year. She has always wanted to go to Natches and tour the lovely plantation homes. As a surprise I booked our stay with Mrs. Marjorie. I'm so glad I did. We had a lovely stay. Our room was clean and we just loved being able to sleep in the old canopy beds. The house is very authentic and we enjoyed hearing Mrs. Majorie telling the history of the home and showing us all her beautiful things. I only met Valerie briefly but she was very friendly and so helpful pointing out things we should see. I love that it is so close to everything but it is still out in the country. I beleive I may have had a bit of a ghost experience. We were there around the 14th of July and Momma is still talking about it. I am so glad I could do this for her. Natches is such a beautiful and friendly place that we really hated to leave.We decided that the only thing we would change about our visit is we should have just thrown Mrs. Majorie in the car and brought her back to Arkansas with us! Thank you both for your hospitality. We will be back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kathy m
Ladies! The two of you were such lovely lovely guest! How can I express to you the words of saying such kind things about Glenfield Plantation Bed & Breakfast and me and my daughter. My doors are always open for you both, and I do hope you find a residence in Natchez to your liking! You would be an asset to our community here. Thank you again for your kind and considerate feed-back.

Albany, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My boyfriend picked this place as a little getaway for the weekend for us. It was more than what I expected. This place made you feel like home. The house is very old and very well taken care of. The room in which we stayed was very peaceful and well laid out. We appreciated the comfort of the bed and soft sheets. To be honest, we wished we could have stayed in bed all day. We had plenty of privacy which we appreciated. It was also nice to wake up to some of the best coffee made and a fresh breakfast with all the options. We woke up early just to drink coffee and walk the property and it was beautiful.Ms. Marjorie was the most welcoming hostess and she really made our experience that much more enjoyable. A place I won't forget, and we hope to come back soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
I was delighted when I read your response as you both were such enjoyable guest! I'm so very thankful that you chose Glenfield Plantation and took the time to write such kind words about your stay here. I hope you both will be back soon to visit as it is always a pleasure to have guest like you stay with me.

Best,
Marjorie
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Spent a night here with granddaughters and loved the beautiful setting and the historic property. Marjorie, the owner, and her daughter Valerie and granddaughter JoAnna were very welcoming and friendly. Marjorie was full of information about the history of Glenfield as well as some of Natchez and was very charming.
The rooms are clean and decorated in an original style yet with television availability as well as air conditioning. You have to realize that bed and breakfasts are different than regular hotels to truly enjoy your visit. a nice breakfast was included as well.

Room Tip: Very quiet setting in the country except for cicadas!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
glenfieldbb, Owner at Glenfield Plantation Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
You and your family were such a delight to have stay with us. We are so glad you chose Glenfield Plantation and that you enjoyed visiting Natchez and learning of the history of our antebellum home. I do hope you had safe travels on your journey and will visit us again when in the Natchez, MS area. Thank you again for your kind words.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is our third year to stay at Glenfield Plantation. Each time we visit it's harder to leave. Mrs Marjorie is a southern delight! We love to hear her stories of the south and anxiously await to spot a ghost. Which my sister swears she spotted one ghost placing a towel in her shower! The rooms are well maintained and offer an astonishing display of fine antiques. From the moment you arrive you step back in time. And waking up in the big antique four-poster beds has that feel of Gone With The Wind. The grounds are divine and your breakfast is filling and freshly made with a wonderful tour of the home following. You must give this lovely plantation home a go. If you appreciate history and peaceful relaxation then I suggest Glenfield.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank RhondaE0
It was our pleasure to have you and your family stay with us again on your annual gathering in Natchez! Thank you for your continued patronage, and the recipe you shared, as I look forward to making this delicious cake! Your family is always a delight to have and we appreciate the fact that you enjoy staying here in the country and love the at home feeling you received. We look forward to seeing you again next year! Many thanks.