“Lovely Bed and Breakfast”

Linden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 41 Natchez B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Lovely Bed and Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2005

My husband and I booked a short vacation at the Linden before reading the other listed reviews. After reading them, we were afraid we had made a mistake in booking our stay at the Linden. Well, we are very happy we kept our reservation. The hostess was wonderful! She recommended various sights and restaurants in the area. She definitely made us feel at home. We stayed in her daughter's former room in the main house. We enjoyed our privacy and our room was very clean. Other reviews stated that that the biscuits were embarrassing, but the biscuits served are plantation biscuits. They are made similar to the way they were prepared over a century ago. The same type of biscuit is served in many area restaurants including the Carriage House at Stanton Hall.

• Stayed May 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2004

I was very excited about staying at Linden. I can remember seeing pictures of it in a book that we had when I was little in our church library. I was forewarned that Mrs. Feltus was a tempremental Southern lady and found out that she was indeed temprimental. My traveling companion and I went to the room and found it to be dusty and in a state of somewhat disrepair. The room seemed like it was used by a member of the family and suddenly just was opened as a guest room. I wondered if anyone else had ever stayed in this room before judging by the way it appeared. We had a difficult time getting our money back and ended up making reservations at another area bed and breakfast. Linden is a beautiful home and I believe that Mrs. Feltus is probably a very kind lady under most situations. However, she cursed at my traveling companion and treated my family with disrespect during the process of trying to get my money for the room refunded (since we were only in it for 20 minutes, long enough to see that the room was not the one for us.)

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2004

Having stayed at other antebellum homes and lovely B&Bs, my husband and I expected a wonderful time at Linden. Boy, were we wrong! In no way did the owner of this home go out of her way to make us feel at home. Our room was so dirty you could even see the dirt under the furniture, the a/c was broken and the bathroom lacked soap and toilet tissue. Guests were never offered ice tea or even water, and the temperature was in the 90's. Breakfast was embarrassing. I say so because we, too, are Mississipians, and we know what grits and biscuits taste like. Those from other areas may not know. Grits are not cold, pasty globs on a plate, and biscuits are not small hard rocks.

One bright point was the work staff-they were all very gracious and professional. It was particularly upsetting to see the owner grab one of these ladies by the arm and loudly chastise her in front of us.

We had to change rooms one night (which we knew and approved in advance) This room was lovely, but the bathroom had an accordian type door with a small latch at the top. The door did not meet the wall, so there was about a 1''space opening. We felt that for what we were paying, we should have privacy.

Keeping a place of this size and age up to par must be a difficult and challenging job. Linden is up for sale, and may it sell soon to someone who is up to the task and able to restore loving care to this beautiful old house.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, Md
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2004

I stayed at Linden during Fall Pilgrimage in October and found it very comfortable overall. Breakfast in the formal dining room was enjoyable and never late. My room in the appendage or garconiere wasnt as fancy as the other rooms but it was comfortable and a bargain. Linden has plenty of galleries and porches which were nice for talking to other guests and taking in what must be some of the most beautiful skies I've ever seen. Five days and I couldn't have found a cloud if my life depended upon it.

7 Thank Jon-Eric
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2003

My wife and I and our two adult daughters spent 3 days at Linden in Natchez, over the recent Christmas week. We had two great rooms in the main house, and it was all we had hoped it would be. The breakfasts were delicious, with a different breakfast served each day. The house was beautifully decorated for Christmas, and I was even given kitchen privileges to make our traditional egg nog for Christmas. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the owner was a gracious and outgoing host. She even offered her formal parlor for my family's Christmas morning! The rooms had canopied beds and antiques, but were not so formal that we felt uncomfortable. We loved our stay and we recommend Linden highly.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2003

If you are looking to stay in an antebellum mansion but not spend mega-bucks, Linden is a great choice. It is a beautiful house and unlike many of these kinds of B&Bs, it is possible to stay in the house rather than be banished to some purpose-built cottages located elsewhere on the estate. The rooms were very comfortable, decorated tastefully with antiques, and breakfast was delicious. At the end of your stay, all guests receive a complimentary tour of the house. Heartily recommended.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member