“Good Example of Ante Bellum Living”
Review of Melrose

Melrose
Ranked #8 of 50 things to do in Natchez
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of Natchez National Historical Park, Melrose is an antebellum plantation that features a slavery exhibit.
Rayne, Louisiana
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Good Example of Ante Bellum Living”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The house is currently under exterior restoration and will be until sometime next spring, according to the Park Service ranger who gave the tour. No access to the second floor gallery or the third floor. The interior is complete, however, and has been restored to it's period look. If you have visited lots of these homes, then it looks like many of the others in the area. Just a different history, which is the part that interests me.

• Polish first
Louisiana
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Pet friendly site”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This one was of the few home that allows visitors to take pictures inside. My husband was allowed to walk our dog on the grounds while I toured the Mansion. This was a huge bonus for us since we were traveling with our American Pitt Bull Terrier. The tour, given by the park ranger, was very informative. There is lots of history here. The property also has several other well maintained original building that you may walk around & check out.

Visited July 2013
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very Beautiful!!!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

It's like walking straight back into time!! Everything in pristine shape!! Sweet and very knowledgable tour guide (Kaitlyn). Relaxing atmosphere while waiting for your tour to begin. Beautiful grounds!!!

1 Thank HistoryL
Washington DC, District of Columbia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Another great National Park”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Well worth a look. I really enjoy our National Parks and they do a great job maintaining and interpreting this home. I especially liked that they addressed the issue of slavery in the South head-on and also maintained the cabins where the slaves lived. Too often, the brutal history of the Antebellum South is "whitewashed" to the point where one would think it was all Tara and Scarlet O'Hara. NPS did a great job explaining both the history of Melrose and the architectural significance of this site.

Henrietta, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“enjoyed history and employees and scenery”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was the only plantation we visited due to time.
I chose it because I am interested in art.
I found the employees charming and knowledgeable.
I am glad we stopped, and my husband and I learned much.
If you enjoy art history and primitive art...or folk art... suggest it...if not, then you may want to choose another one. It is heavy on the art information.

Visited July 2013