“A Perfect Hotel in southern Marin County”

Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Mill Valley
San Francisco, California
“A Perfect Hotel in southern Marin County”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Located right off 101which is the main artery of Marin County, the hotel looks out on the Bay. There beautiful views from each room, which are well appointed, with quality bedding and a lovely terrace with chairs overlooking the water. The breakfast is super great and is included with each night's stay. A wide choice of foods are available and the room is filled with sunlight. There is an expresso bar all day and a wine and cheese reception every evening. Also included are bicycles which can be used to ride the lovely long bike trails from Mill Valley to Sausalito. So pretty!
With easy proximity to San Francisco and all of Marin it is a super great choice! We loved it!

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank drdeirdre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Geneva and Rachel helped us with our stay without reservations established, recommended places to see around Mill Valley, provided complimentary wine, provided additional information, dining information nearby, etc. The rooms and provisions were excellent, hospitality excellent and would highly recommend this location. complimentary bicycles were provided for those interested in riding around Bay perimeter which highly enjoyed and advisory information about where to stay next on our subsequent stops.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Booked this hotel instead of usual chain properties for a change, and because I wanted to be close to the Golden Gate Bridge to photograph sunrise and sunset (and it is less than 10 minutes from the best viewpoints of the bridge, bay and city). The hotel sounded good on its website and these reviews, and they were spot on. Don't what this hotel used to be prior to Acqua, but wife & I loved it. Huge room with water view and bathroom that was the size of most hotel rooms, extremely comfortable bed, great night sleep. You can hear the 101 a little bit, but I can say it was not bothersome - and I am a light sleeper sensitive to noise.

Breakfast was wholesome and lots of choices, the wine reception in the evening an unexpected extra treat. Front desk staff were extremely and wonderfully helpful and informative.

Only knock on the place was the lobby absolutely reeked of a cleaning chemical or air freshener when we walked - really noticeable and suffocating. Perhaps they just cleaned the carpets and I hope that is not the common scent because it is just overpowering. Fortunately the hallways and room had no such stench!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for business and I can't say enough about this hotel. It's located conveniently right off 101, however it overlooks the inlet..there are complimentary bikes to take for a ride around the bike/walking path. A great de-stresser after a long working day.

The foyer is striking with a wall fountain and soothing colors. The two women at the front desk were more than gracious. Next to the front desk is complimentary water, coffee and tea available 24/7. My double queen room was again, spacious with plenty of closet space. The bathroom was spa-like and included all EO bath products..luxurious towels and plenty of sink space. I was on the first floor and my patio doors opened up to a small, somewhat private patio area overlooking the inlet.

Breakfast is on the second floor and includes eggs, bacon/sausage, fruit, pastries, oatmeal, waffles, many beverages and local papers. If the weather is nice you are able to eat outside overlooking the inlet, however I chose to eat inside.

I find the Acqua a little oasis away from all the hustle and bustle and only a short drive into the city. It will be my new go to place to stay for any reason, when I am visiting the SF area.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank suechef
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband, myself and our 10 year old daughter spent 3 nights in a standard king room, with a roll-away bed for her.
The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the breakfast including espresso drinks excellent! Clean, well-maintained older hotel that has been very nicely updated.
The free mountain bikes available to use (for age 15 years old and up) was a very nice surprise and I wished I'd have had time to take a ride.
Walking from the hotel along the beautiful bay-shore trail network was really great.
When we made the on-line reservation it wasn't apparent to us how to include the request for a roll-away so I called the hotel a couple of days before our arrival to order it. It wasn't in the room when we arrived and it was a rather long wait to have it brought up. So that was our only hassle and, given the overall experience, a minor one.
We were on the highway 101 side of the hotel so freeway noise was an issue, but not too bad.

Room Tip: If there are three of you, choose something bigger than the standard king room plus a roll-away. Ex...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed January 11, 2014

In spite of its location, right off Highway 101, the hotel is an unexpected pleasant surprise. We stayed in a pet-friendly first floor room with pretty views over a grass lawn and the water. There were many well thought out details, from the availability of deliciously scented soaps and body lotions to the modern tasteful and clean decor. The staff was very friendly and even got out treats and a ball for our dog. Breakfast was included in the price and had an excellent selection to choose from. There is also a wine and cheese tasting available for guests every evening. We did not take part, but once again, a nice touch to make you feel welcome. If we need to stay overnight in the area, we'll definitely go back. All in all, excellent value for a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BubsGio
Southern California
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Rude front desk, rude manager, average rooms. Had very noisy neighbors and complained about midnight. The manager told me it I didn't like it check out, so I did. The front desk reception was unfriendly upon check in, it seemed a bother. I will avoid this place next time in mill valley.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank mkaspar45
Eric N, General Manager at Acqua Hotel Mill Valley, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
If we fall short of an expectation, our team is willing to do whatever possible to remedy the situation. Many of our team members have spent most of their professional lives assisting others, in hospitality. We're in this profession because we find it gratifying, it is a passion. My strong reaction was due to a serious verbal assault on one of our team members that was in no way deserved, or reciprocated. For my strong reaction, I apologize. I cannot however, be held hostage, and allow such behavior for fear of a negative review. Kind regards, Eric
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mill Valley
#2 of 4 in Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito

Been to Acqua Hotel Mill Valley? Share your experiences!