“Outstanding in every way”

Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Mill Valley
Nashville, Tennessee
“Outstanding in every way”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

The Aqua Hotel is always my hotel of choice when in Mill Valley, CA. From checkin, to room assignment, to quality of amenities, to breakfast, this hotel is truly outstanding in every way. This recommendation comes from a weekly business traveler. Stay at the Aqua Hotel! You'll be glad you did.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Tom H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I were in Mill Valley for a family party. We chose this hotel because of a recommendation. It was a wonderful experience from checkin to departure two days later. We had a Jr. Suite with a balcony overlooking the water. At five o'clock at night, wine and cheese was offered in the lobby as well as a free breakfast. Even though the hotel is located right on the highway, the rooms were quiet due to a glass wall on the highway side. We loved the walking path around the hotel and alongside the water. We even took it to walk to dinner the first night. We would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a AAA or Senior Rate and was upgraded to a Jr. Suite for the same price as a regular ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ScorpioS_12
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Friendly, helpful staff. Terrific breakfast available from 6:30 to 10 each morning. Lydia and Isadore do an excellent job and their pride shows in the preparation and organization. Lovely freshly sliced melon and pineapple every day, too.

Clean, well-designed modern rooms with orientation to Richardson Bay and the outdoors. Geese, ducks, gulls, herons are plentiful and you may see deer on the lawn at night. Superb location relative to access to freeway in both directions and quick access to Golden Gate bridge and San Francisco. Excellent shopping less than 10 minutes by car.

If traffic is good!! it is barely 40 minutes from hotel to SFO. Two very good restaurants within very short walking distance of the property: Robata's which is Japanese and Piatti's which is modern with a great view and outstanding Manhattans - among many other drinks. Good wine list, too.

EO, locally made body products, are amazing and the hotel uses wall dispensers for them, cutting down on waste of little bottles.

Generous wine and cheese is offered each afternoon.

Wifi and parking are absolutely free.

We feel special there and quite comfortable. Next trip we will return, for the third time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank quoi de neuf
Winthrop, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed at the Acqua during a particularly trying time: I'm from very near Boston, and had to do a business trip 2 days after the Marathon bombing in Mill Valley. My business associate booked me into the Acqua, and it was a true blessing to be in such a place during that very trying week. I had a fireplace junior suite, overlooking the lovely water; the staff knew I had flown in from Boston, and were exceptionally kind, especially Genevieve and Judy.
Although I had booked the suite expecting to work in the living room area, it was a bit dark -- however, it's possible to hook up one's computer in the breakfast room during the day, which is light-filled and quiet. Breakfast was a lovely affair, and there's complimentary coffees and organic teas available all day long. The hotel is surprisingly quiet for being right off the freeway! I didn't have a car, but found that Robato,the Japanese restaurant almost next door, was a terrific place for lunch and/or dinner.
The path that starts at the hotel leads around the lake and is lovely. In fact, I ended up walking right into downtown Mill Valley (took me about 90 minutes). It was a great walk, past "young" redwoods on Miller Avenue. Thank you, Genevieve,for the map, and for calling me a cab to take me back to the hotel (a $17 ride, without tip).
The day I was supposed to be leave was the same day as the Boston city-wide lock-down, so it was harrowing to consider travelling. The staff was wonderful, letting me know that they appreciated the uncertainty of my position, and they did everything to make things easier for me. I will never forget their graciousness.
This was my first time to Mill Valley - I'd love to return, and I'd stay at the Acqua again.

Room Tip: Talk directly with the staff and explain what you want and need from the room - they can match you...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank travelerfromWinthrop
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our suite was romantic; the balcony overlooked the lake. The soaking tub came with amazing baths salts! The room was so quiet and the area so peaceful. The breakfast every morning was outstanding! Lydia, the breakfast Queen, kept everything replenished and plated in an appetizing manner. Lydia was pleasant and accommodating; she even prepared a specialty coffee drink for some jerk who didn't care that it was the breakfast rush. Lydia displayed grace under pressure and exemplified the essence of the Acqua... "We want to make you feel at home." That is what we loved about this magical property; we felt peaceful and at home! And, it is a very romantic destination! I don't think it is fun for kids; the evening wine tasting was not for kids though they seemed to enjoy the cheese. This is a refuge for adults and a gem for the money!

Room Tip: If you want a peaceful night sleep and romance guaranteed, reserve the suite!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DecoratingArtist
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in delux king room on the second floor. There was, surprisingly, no noise from the nearby highway. We had a small sitting area and then a separate sleeping room with a bathroom. Comfortable bed, great views of the water and Mt. Tam. The hotel is right on the water with a little walking path to enjoy. The hotel offers wine and cheese in the lobby during the afternoon. The staff was pleasant and they even gave us a complimentary bottle of Moet because it was Valentine's Day. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant or try the fitness center.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank classylush
Woodland Hills, California, United States
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

We have had the occasion to visit the Mill Valley area often. We have tried several other places and none has been better for us then Acqua. The setting is ideal, we love to step outside and be able to take a walk on the path that follows the bay. The view from the room of the bay, changing with the tides is always enchanting. It is very convenient with the freeway only moments away. Even though the freeway is close the rooms are well sound proofed and we experience quiet along with convenience. The hotel staff has been very accommodating and when there has been the need for a repair, the maintenance crew has been right there and made the correction. The morning buffet has enough well presented selections, we especially have liked some of the hard to find pastries. The same attendant has been there several times. She has been very pleasant and helpful. At 5 pm they serve wine, cheese, crackers and fruit in a pleasant space with fireplace and several sitting areas. There are three ceramic fishes sitting on a coffee table that my wife and I fell in love with. our current room has a wonderful view, a sitting area and a log burning fireplace. All in all this has been very comforting on a trip that was necessitated by a recent family loss.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito

Been to Acqua Hotel Mill Valley? Share your experiences!