“CLEAN HOTEL”

Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Mill Valley
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Pluses: The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The property and rooms are immaculately clean ~ this is a huge plus for my husband and me! There is a bike and running trail that passes right along the property on the waterway that leads to a local dog park and all the way into Sausalito; this is very convenient if you like to exercise like me. The hotel offers complimentary mountain bikes (only 2 are available), which my husband and I took advantage of one day ~ a lot of fun. Nice/delicious breakfast items; Nice dining area outside overlooking the water; Free parking; Complimentary passes to local gym; wine and cheese in the lobby by the fireplace and trickling wall fountain in the evening for guests; 3 minute drive to Sausalito. The hotel tries to make up for what it might lack in amenities. We would stay again as long as we could get the room we wanted and the price was right.

Biggest drawback: After looking online at what appeared to be a very peaceful, serein property, I was really quite surprised and disappointed to find that this property is located right alongside a very busy, noisy roadway, Hwy 101 to be exact (my fault for not pinpointing the exact location on mapquest beforehand). If your room is not directly facing the back of the property, you will have road noise to contend with, especially at night. During the day, my husband and I like to leave our sliding glass door open on our “balcony” for the fresh air, but the road noise was loud. At night, we had to plug in our white noise machine that we brought with us to drown out some of the noise. The rooms are situated with certain rooms facing the back of the property, looking at the water, and a few rooms that face out the side of the property, with a clear view of Hwy 101 and the parking lot along the water. Our room was one of these side rooms not directly facing the back of the property, but closer to the water than to Hwy 101; facing out along the side of the property brought the noise from the road. There are side rooms closer to 101 than we were; any closer to the Hwy would have been misery for sure, as well as the ice machine being located right outside those rooms, which has a horrible echo in the cement and glass enclosure of the hallway. I would not stay in this room again, and would definitely NOT stay in any of the rooms that were any closer to the roadway than ours was. If we return, it would be because we were able to obtain a Junior suite, which in contrast, was serenely quiet like we would have wanted the first time (I checked out one of these rooms to see the difference). This is a room that allows you to leave the sliding glass door open on your balcony and not hear a thing outside.

Room Tip: "Sleep Quality" depends upon which room you get. I would rate "terrible" if my r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sanlano

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room was very nicely furnished, with comfortable beds and a newly remodeled bathroom. I really appreciated the environmentally friendly toiletries. The breakfast was great, hot and cold food, wide variety, great service during breakfast, and beautiful setting. The evening wine and cheese was a nice touch too. It was too bad the hotel doesn't have its own bar or restaurant. Front desk staff were mixed, some were friendly and helpful, others clearly didn't know the area or their way around to offer advice. Parking lot is small, and ran out of space on several nights so we were sent around back to the service parking lot. Hotel is adjacent to a nice waterfront walking path that was great in the morning to get out and stretch your legs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The room we were in was tiny, loud and dirty. I would not recommend this place to anyone unless you have to stay in mill valley and the mill valley inn is booked. Very disappointed with this place. The rugs in particular were filthy and had cars in them due to wear. The sink was literally cracked in the middle of the basin. The walls are paper thin and we could hear neighbors and traffic all night long.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Teris10
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have stayed here before and been happy. The past 3 days at the Acqua were most disappointing. The refrigerator did not work and the desk person said it would be 3 days before it would be repaired. When I got nasty, they did manage to send in one from another room after more than a day with none The cleaning carts, huge ones, were left in the hallway outside our room every night we were there and most of the day, too. The carpets and bathroom fixtures are worn and need to be replaced. We planned to spend 5 days at Christmas at the Acqua, but the manager rudely made it clear that we would probably not get the room we requested. What used to be a fine Mill Valley hotel with a great location is now an overpriced , under maintained, place to avoid.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Eric N, General Manager at Acqua Hotel Mill Valley, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us. This is certainly not the kind or review I like reading; however, I appreciate you bringing these items to my attention, and have taken action on all the issues you mentioned. We have purchased extra refrigerators, so that if one goes bad it can be replaced immediately. I have spoken with the Operations Manager and Housekeeping Supervisor regarding carts being left in the hallway, this is unavoidable during the day when rooms are being serviced, but they should be stored at all other times, and normally are. We are in the process of replacing all of the carpets on the first floor with beautiful hardwood floors, as for the remaining carpets, a monthly cleaning process in place. Additionally, new sinks and hardware have been ordered for the entire hotel and are due early next year. I am not sure which manager you spoke with regarding a specific room choice, but we do everything we can to appreciate our loyal guests, I am sorry this was not the case during your last visit. Please contact me directly and I will personally assist with your next stay, and attempt to remedy the disappointments experienced on this last visit. Very kind regards, Eric Norman General Manager.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We spent 3 days at this hotel. It is ideally located for San Francisco without being in the city itself. It looks out over a lake - although some rooms do overlook front where the freeway is. There is no restaurant in the hotel but the Piatti Italian restaurant 2 minutes walking distance away is excellent. There is a fantastic complementary breakfast and in the evening cheese and wine and later a cookie for supper. Although there are no tea making facilities in room they are provided 24/7 in the lobby. Staff were very helpful and we caught the ferry from nearby Tiberon to San Francisco much less hassle than driving in.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking water.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was my second stay at the hotel, and both visits were for a meeting being held at the hotel. This time my puppies accompanied me, so we were in a pet friendly room on the ground floor. The room has sliding doors that directly open to the outside next to the rear parking lot and some bushes and just a short distance from the walkway around the lagoon-like extension of the bay the hotel is situated next to. It was easy to take the puppies out and they were welcome in the lobby whenno food was being served. The walkway is great for walking or bicycle riding and connects to a direct route to bicycle ride to Sausalito a few miles away. There is a pleasant wine and cheese reception in the evening. Breakfast with bacon and eggs, hot and cold cereal, make your own waffle, fruit, juice, coffee,tea, and lattes is served in the second floor breakfast room overlooking the water and with an adjacent outdoor area. The room was comfortable and quiet despite being next to the hotel's laundry room (113). The only complaints were our two electronic keys repeatedly deactivated and that in the room there was no pen or paper and no written material at all about the hotel's services, policies, etc. Overall it was a pleasant and comfortable stay and I would stay there again

Room Tip: 2nd floor overlooking the water
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Liked this hotel and its proximity to SF (convenient to the Larkspur ferry to SFO with free parking). Stylish lobby, fantastic breakfast with hot choices (eggs/meat), fresh fruit (wonderful melon/pineapple display), pastries, bagels, d-i-y waffles, yogurts, cereals, etc., and a great, spacious balcony area overlooking the water with tables and chairs. We were out and about in SF so didn't get to sample the wine and cheese, but had previously stayed at the sister hotel, Water's Edge in Tiburon, and enjoyed it there. Didn't get to take advantage of their free bike rentals either, but liked that they offered it. Staff was very friendly and efficient.

Room (#214) was nice - standard size for a 2x queen bed room - and clean with comfy beds and a big oval soaking tub with shower over in the bathroom. Another nice touch was the Tommy Bahama hand soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash dispensers. Mini fridge was convenient. Received a 'welcome' card and Belgian chocolates on arrival

Unfortunately, despite all the lovely touches, the one lasting memory I'm likely to have of this hotel is the noise from the road. Route 101 runs right next to this hotel and seems to be busy 24-7. Not surprising considering it is the main route to the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco, as well as carrying commuter traffic northbound in the evening. Even though we asked for and received a room away from the road, the road noise was ever-present. I'm a light sleeper, so this really sucked, but I'm not sure if there are actually any 'quiet' rooms at this hotel. The noise from the ice dispenser opposite our room didn't help either. We had a room overlooking the water if you looked ahead/to the right, but highly visible and directly to the left and crossing that same water is route 101. Our room had a small step-out balcony but there was no way you could enjoy the fresh air and the tranquil water view without the incessant traffic noise, which was loud enough with the balcony door closed. In addition, there's another small (and busy) road that runs right next to the hotel and provides northbound access to route 101. This was where the hotel trash cans were placed (right outside of our room) and emptied at 6 am daily!

Oh, if only you could pick up this hotel and move it away from the road...

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road but if you're a light sleeper, this still may not help you get...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 4 in Sausalito
Waters Edge Hotel
Waters Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiburon

Been to Acqua Hotel Mill Valley? Share your experiences!