“Great location and very comfortable room”

Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mill Valley
Monterey, California
“Great location and very comfortable room”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We stayed at the hotel recently for a weekend getaway to go hiking near Muir Woods and Mt. Tamalpais. We couldn't have asked for a better location as our room looked out on a lovely lagoon and bike trail with Mt. Tamalpais in the background. It was easy to get to the trails from there, and in the evening, it was only a 15 minute drive into San Francisco! The check-in was relatively quick, although the desk clerk was a little spacey (yet very sweet). We found the room to be average size, but the bed was very comfortable! Firm but padded mattress...very easy to fall asleep.
The breakfast was average--liked the oatmeal. But the best part was the Carmel Valley Roasting company coffee--wha a delightful and delicious surprise!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
California
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Cons: The front desk seemed very disorganized, distracted and slow (even though I was the only one there). We were put on the first floor, "pool side" room. Turns out they have a big fence around the pool and I was basically staring right into a wall. I was rather disappointed she didn't put us in a better location since the hotel was really quite empty.
The continental breakfast is really just a continental breakfast. Very basic. I guess I was spoiled by other hotels. But it was included in the price of the hotel.

Pros: The pool/spa area is great. I think it's brand new. My kids loved the heated pool and the water is actually really warm. Funny thing is, the pool water was actually warmer than the spa!! I thought my kids were just joking around until I tried it myself.
The rooms are nice, clean and spacious. There is a little refrigerator which makes it handy when traveling with kids.
The hotel is on the Bay Trail (3-4 mile long bike trail). I went on a very nice run in the morning.
The free wifi works!!

All in all, aside from the reception and the location of the room, I would come back again. Especially with the rate I got on expedia.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mamaanjeli
DC
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I travel to San Francisco frequently and usually stay at Fairmont or other 4-5 star hotels. This time around, I opted to stay in Marin Country particularly out of consideration for a childhood friend whom I was visiting after 44 years and lives in the area and offered to take me around in her car during my stay.

While the Larkspur hotel is nowhere near the quality of the other hotels I stay at in SFO, I must say that overall, I found Larkspur Mill Valley a nice hote and a good valuel. My room was small, but clean and well-appointed, my pillow-top king-sized bed felt very comfortable and nice. The large, wall-mounted flat-screen TV has a great picture, though it keeps going off and on frequently, my room was bright and airy with a balcony and a sliding glass door, the hotel offers free wi-fi connection anda good amount of drawer space for clothing, although the closet space is very small. In addition, the light/ventilator combination in the bathroom tends to be a bit too noisy.

The hotel offers an adequate complimentary continental breakfast, the staff was always attentative and polite to me and there was nothing objectionable in their conduct toward me. Despite being on te main road, the hotel is well sound-insulated ad quiet. I only wish there'd be a safe deposit box in the room, so I didn't have to carry so much junk with me on my outings!

Larkspur is a small, 2-storey hotel and has no elevators, but I did enjoy my stay at this hotel, particularly because of its proximity to beautiful cities of Sausalito and Schooner Point as well as San Francisco.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Albuquerque
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We chose this hotel for its proximity to Muir Woods and because of the post-renovation discount offered on the hotel's website. It is located on the outskirts of Mill Valley, close to the junction of 101 and 1 and near an estuary with walking trails. Despite the nearby roadways, it was very quiet. We were given a room overlooking the pool. The rooms are really well appointed; you'd never guess this was once a Holiday Inn Express. The beds are incredibly comfortable, among the best I've ever slept in at any hotel. There was a huge flat screen TV and DVD player in the room. Bathroom was attractive and included upscale lotion, shampoo, etc. There was also a small refrigerator and microwave. Rooms have small balconies with rustic tables and chairs. Iron sconces light the grounds. The gardens in the interior courtyard surrounding the pool are lovely. There is a heated outdoor pool and hot tub which we all enjoyed. The breakfast area was unusually spacious and pleasant as was the variety of food offered - yogurt, fruit, and bran muffins in addition to the usual breads and cereals. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
BC
Reviewed February 18, 2010

This hotel has just finished extensive upgrades. We were attracted by the discount offered as an incentive for people to come and see the improvements. We chose to pay a small extra charge for a room with a mountain view. Our room overlooked the back parking lot, and was on the back of the building facing away from the road. It was very quiet.
Larkspur has made extensive renovations. There is a large flat screen TV, new carpeting, new drapes, and the room had been carefully painted.
A continental breakfast is included. We enjoyed good coffee, fresh fruit (apples or bananas), a choice of hot or cold cereal, bagels and muffins. The breakfast area was large enough to accommodate several guests, unlike the breakfast area in some motels we've been in.
Check in service was quick and professional.
The free internet service was easy to connect to. Just be sure to ask for your password when you check in.
The bathroom counter area is small, and barely adequate if you have to recharge something. The supplied toiletries were nicer than average, and were a generous size. Towels were thick, and a good size. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Because this hotel was previously a Holiday Inn Express, could be reasoning for the previous bad reviews About this hotel. I am proud to say that my nights sleep was fantastic! The beds and room amenities could not of been better! Thanks so much Larkspur!

• Stayed February 2010
France
Reviewed October 25, 2009

It took me ages to find the hotel as my TomTom insisted on taking me to the other side of the coast. 20 miles and an hour later I found the place and the receptionist said they have complained to both TomTom and Google because their directions to the hotel are way off. Fortunately I arrived mid afternoon so I could find my way. The TomTom route took me up hill and down dale with some sharp inclines, hairpins and sheer drops. Very scenic during the day but I can imagine this would be very dangerous if attempted tired in the dark. So beware. The hotel is a few miles from Sausalito which is a lovely town with a great view of San Francisco. I got a refurbished room on the second floor overlooking the water and freeway. The room was very nice, modern and clean with a 40" Philips LCD screen with a DVD player and all the AV inputs you need including a USB charger. By the look of the public areas the non refurb rooms might be a bit grim. Overall I would stay here again. The walk to Sausalito took about 45 mins each way.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
Cavallo Point
Cavallo Point
#2 of 4 in Sausalito

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area? Share your experiences!