“Be careful with your GPS directions”

Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mill Valley
Reviewed October 25, 2009

It took me ages to find the hotel as my TomTom insisted on taking me to the other side of the coast. 20 miles and an hour later I found the place and the receptionist said they have complained to both TomTom and Google because their directions to the hotel are way off. Fortunately I arrived mid afternoon so I could find my way. The TomTom route took me up hill and down dale with some sharp inclines, hairpins and sheer drops. Very scenic during the day but I can imagine this would be very dangerous if attempted tired in the dark. So beware. The hotel is a few miles from Sausalito which is a lovely town with a great view of San Francisco. I got a refurbished room on the second floor overlooking the water and freeway. The room was very nice, modern and clean with a 40" Philips LCD screen with a DVD player and all the AV inputs you need including a USB charger. By the look of the public areas the non refurb rooms might be a bit grim. Overall I would stay here again. The walk to Sausalito took about 45 mins each way.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed here for one night with a group of 15 people travelling together on a Pacific Coast Road trip. Based on our research, including feedback from Trip Advisor, we had arranged for a group booking for 8 rooms well in advance of our stay. Upon our arrival, all of the reservations were in order, and check in was efficient and quick, even though we all arrived at the same time.
The rooms were very small and old, and the hotel overall was under renovation, but our impression was that it needed more of a rebuild than a redecorate. The breakfast service was very good however, and worked well for our group.
Our group was not very pleased with our stay here, and we would certainly avoid this property in the future.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed September 30, 2009

when we arrived in the afternoon the lady on check in was very friendly and welcoming. we got the room we booked and she explained to us that the hotel is undergoing a complete renovation, so there is some "paintwork" going on and in the parking lot we might see big containers. and the pool and hot tub were closed too, but that didn't matter, cause the weather was bad anyway.
well, our room was facing the bridge and the carpark with the ugly containers, but nevermind. the room itself was ok with a king bed, a desk with a chair, a fridge. the balcony was tiny and there were no tables/chairs outside. the bathroom was ok but obviously waiting for the oncoming renovations.
breakfast in the morning was quite good, compared to other "included continental breakfasts" we had during our trip. you even get yoghurt and eggs in addition to the usual muffin, toast, kellogs, etc.
the first morning we had to get up very early, so we might have missed the action, but on the second morning we wanted to lay in a little bit, but at about 7:30 in the morning the refurbish team started drilling right in front of our room. the noise was so loud and intense (and continuous) that we hardly managed to pack our stuff without going crazy. we had to check out that day anyway, but on check out I complained to the elderly lady with dark pony/bob kind of hair at front desk and she was really very unhelpful and unfriendly.
she just said that we've been informed about the renovation on check in and that she's sorry for the noise but can't help it. I told her that on check in we were informed about paintwork (which is normally quiet). if the hotel knows that there is hardcore drilling going on, then they should not give away rooms around this area! I think that should be manageable.
I signalled her that I'm not willing to pay the full rate for the last night, cause I was kicked out of bed very rudely. she just said that I have a special (travel agent) rate anyway and that this was it. she just let me stand there, walked off and helped another customer.
I travel a lot, but I've never dealt with staff so unfriendly and so unable to handle a complaint. if she can't handle it, then she should get somebody who can.
anyway, I would not reccommend this hotel right now because of the renovation (and this particular lady). I don't know how long renovation will last though.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We chose this hotel for it's proximity to Hwy 1 since we were driving up to Gualala the following day. We expected nicer in Marin county. The hotel had just begun construction to renovate the Monday before our arrival, which meant the pool/hot tub were closed, which was disappointing as that was our plan for relaxing after a day of flying. The room was VERY small and had a desk chair and a sitting chair but no table or anything inside. This proved a challenge for my husband and I to try to eat the cheese and wine we brought up from San Francisco for our laid back dinner. We brought in the outdoor table from the 'deck' and muddled through with that. The 'deck' was large enough for just one person on the chair and no more. As only a 2 story hotel, there is no elevator, and after we trudged our luggage up we found our keys didn't work. I went back to the front desk to ask for new keys, and THOSE two didn't work either! Finally the front desk sent up maintenance with two new keys that DID work. A minor annoyance, but after a day of travel one we really didn't need. I would go back, but only if I could get a cheaper room.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Very good property. Good Service, even when you check-in at 3:00am. Night Audit was very nice. At my request, the rollaway was not delivered when I checked-in, but when I called down to front desk at 3:30 in the morning. The rollaway was delivered right away. In the morning break fast was very nice, but did not see a breakfast person once. Clean hotel, good Italian restaurant next to the hotel. Hotel’s General Manager was very nice. I’ve stayed with the hotel over ten times. GM remembers me, and greets me every time he sees me. Very nice, respected, good rooms with balcony and pool view. Parking is free, I love it!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed in this hotel as part of our honeymoon. We never spend too much time in hotel rooms, only to sleep and wash. This hotel was excellent as far as it was in a prime location from Muir Woods which was the reason we went north of San Fran for a few days. It's located just off the highway so it was very easy to hop into the car and head out on the road for a few hours. the room was clean and as we are smokers this hotel suited us perfect. The pool was lovely and clean and quiet ( because it was oct I don't think anybody wanted to use it, but being Irish we didn't feel the cold). So yeah I would defintiely recommend this hotel to anyone who is not looking for luxury but a convenient location in comfortable surroundings. What a nice area in general to spend few days.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2009

If you're going to visit Muir Woods, stay here. The value is great, the hotel is nice and the adjoining restaurant Frantoio is fabulous!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito
Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area? Share your experiences!