“As close to perfect as you can get.”

Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mill Valley
Ennice, North Carolina
“As close to perfect as you can get.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel is a combination of great location, great room, and great staff. It's just off the highway, and adjacent to a walking/biking trail perfect for stretching your legs after a long drive, (they even have bikes.) The room was fresh and clean with contemporary furnishing and a large screen television.

The staff was the real icing on the cake. When Robert and Ricky checked us in we asked about the closest movie theater. Without prompting Robert printed out a map, then gave us a list of movies and the showing times. The next morning I had trouble printing my boarding pass. Joanne took my document back to her office. Boom, printed boarding pass! I was a few minutes past breakfast closing time, but Jasmin helped me microwave my breakfast. And then there was Lydia, who checked us out of our room and sent us on our way with a smile, a laugh, and a reason to highly recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have easy access to the walking path. It also gives a nice view of the inlet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GingerBC
Nicklaus B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hi GingerBC!

I am glad to hear that our staff was able to exceed your expectations for your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley! I will share your comments with our teams here as they thrive on reviews such as yours. Thank you again and we hope to see you return in the future!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
San Diego
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I just came off of Best Western Seacliff Inn with paper thin walls and a desk staff that left me thinking they could not have cared whether I was there or not. Enter Robert at Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley. Once again, I was greeted with a "Hotel" where you had to climb stairs to get to the second level (when did this become a standard for hotels?) When I found I was to be on the second floor, I said "Oh, no, not again." Robert asked if I would like a first floor room. I said yes, of course. Over the course of the rest of the evening, I had a question about a microwave (there wasn't one), the audio output to the TV (it wasn't working) and hot water (which they had). Robert handled all of my concerns as if my happiness with Holiday Inn was directly linked to his happiness in life.

Pros: Great Staff. Big screen TVs in the rooms with a panel on the side of the TV stand so you could plug in your computer, dvd player, whatever (the audio did not work in ours, but we made do). DVD player in the room. Walls were thick enough. Lots of room.

Cons: Breakfast room was too small. No microwaves, in rooms or in breakfast room. I never found the ice machine, as it was not where indicated on map, but I also did not ask. A little expensive for what you get.

Bottom line: Great hotel, easy access from 101. I would request lower floor in the future, though. I knocked off a star for not having a microwave anywhere, and for not mentioning the stair climb for the second floor on the web site. Some of us do not need accessible, but don't manage the stairs well on some days.

Room Tip: Choose a bottom floor, unless you like climbing stairs and/or carry only a duffle bag.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi Ghostwheel,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley. I am glad to hear that Robert was able to help resolve some of the items that came up during your stay. I would also like to thank you for providing feedback that I will take back to my team so that we can better provide accommodations for our current, returning, and future guests. Thank you again for your comments and I would love to see you return to our hotel here in Mill Valley!
Oswestry
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just spent 3 nights at this hotel and couldn't fault it. Hotel very clean, complimentary breakfast really nice and the location was spot on, close enough to San Fran to travel in, but in a really nice spot overlooking the mountains. Highly recommended !!!!

Watsonville, California
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Tim was a great pm front desk person he went out of his way to help us in the parking lot with vehicle issues as well as make us fell welcome and comfortable. Also the night auditor she was very courteous. The staff makes the property great even though we didnt have a microwave }:( it was still a great place to stay!

Room Tip: choose a room that ovrlooks the pool or the firepit
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed for one night and loved the location, right on Richardson Bay near the entrance to 101 South. There is a terrific walking/biking path, and the hotel offers free bikes for the ride. They have free s'mores on the outdoor patio, by the fireplace, at night, and the pool area is terrific. The property looks to have recent updates/remodels, and the bed was the most comfortable we slept on our entire week-long trip! The staff was friendly and helpful, but the free breakfast was a little carb-loaded for my liking... muffins, pancakes, biscuits, along with eggs, yogurt, and typical buffet breakfast foods. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our "inside" room overlooking the pool was ideal.Lower odd numbers overlook the pool, (exa...
1 Thank T K
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

What happened to this beautiful hotel. Obviously under construction and no one seems to know what's going on. How can one sleep with all the noise? And then saying there not going to be done for quite a while since there putting in an elevator. So more noise! Staff has gone down hill. Organization is just all gone down.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Suzy R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear TravellingSQ,

Thank you for your candid review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for not living up to your expectations and for not creating a memorable stay for you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback. We hope you give us another chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Florianopolis, SC
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I've been staying at this property for over 10 years now. It was a Holiday Inn Express, then became Larkspur and now it's back to Holiday Inn. The only differences I could notice this time were in the breakfast (they now have a pancake machine, boiled and scrambled eggs, cereals, fruits, milk, juices and regular american breakfast breads) and the fact that they are remodeling some parts of the hotel, therefore there is some construction going on. But, to be honest, it didn't effect us very much, except for the fact that the fitness center was closed. Since the 2 days we've spent there for business meetings were great, I went for runs outside, on the bike/walk path that is right there, behind the hotel. Very pleasant.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, this is not a luxury resort. It's a city/business hotel very convenient if you have a car and are looking for something in the Mill Valley/Sausalito/Tiburon area. Free internet also helps. If you're a biker, you can also commute from the hotel to any of these cities or even to SF. Lots of bike commuters use the bike path there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
Cavallo Point
Cavallo Point
#2 of 4 in Sausalito

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area? Share your experiences!