“Rough change from Larkspur”

Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mill Valley
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel used to be a Larkspur and I stayed there for years and loved it. It recently became a Holiday Inn Express and it was a little bit of a rough transition. The rooms are still set up the same as they were when it was a Larkspur, but there is a lot of construction going on so it seems they have all guests together in one section of the hotel which made it pretty noisy. It used to be mostly business travelers and couples that stayed here, but since its transition to a Holiday Inn Express, it seems there are more families with young children (which is not a bad thing) but I think that has contributed for the noise level as well. It wasn't my best stay here, but I will give it another chance since its still in transition.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear savingparadise,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Remodeling/noise didn't effect our stay. The organic exterior upgrade choices look great. View of the wetlands from the breakfast area was soothing. The enclosed patio area was a great place to read & relax after a beautiful bike ride to Golden Gate Bridge.(they offer free bike rentals). Having the restaurant next door for a night cap after a day in the city was an added plus.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here twice for Marin County events. Rooms were clean and quiet and the full breakfast is very good, saving time and energy in the morning chasing around for food. The hotel is right next to the lagoon--lots of birds. Also short drive to trailheads and Sausalito. Lovely, warm pool. Wish it were summer!

Room Tip: You get what is available when you arrive.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I made a reservation to stay here one night as my husband, well-behaved dog and I were meeting up with a friend in the area and also doing some light business. There was no flexibility on the $75 "pet cleaning fee" for one night's stay. I tried to negotiate with the manager and he was firm on the corporate policy. I know other HIEs that charge only $25 or $35 in other parts of the US. Why this HIE has to charge so much is beyond me. So we ended up finding another place that charged a fraction of what HIE Mill Valley charges.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ratherbgardning
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear ratherbgardning,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide service rates that are competitive in the area. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was a "boutique" hotel when it was booked several months ago, but has since become a Holiday Inn. The location was okay, and the pool area was nice. Rooms were typical Holiday Inn, but the staff made a very poor showing. Our group was charged a higher rate than another group, and when the manager said he would get back to me about that and another issue, it was just talk. Never heard from him.
Then again, we came back to our room in the afternoon (around 3PM), and it was not made up. We had to contact the front desk and complain.
And one of our party who checked in the second day, was given a room that was not made up. All in all, I think the staff needs to be trained on customer service.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EastwestUSA
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear EastwestUSA,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am so glad you liked the fine location of our hotel. I would like to apologize for the service you received that fell below your expectations and the issues you had with the rate of your room. I have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details regarding your experience. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Visited for business reasons and stayed one night. Was pleasantly surprised by the room. Hotel building is older, but room was recently updated and was clean and quiet. Bed very comfortable. TV with lots of choices. Free WIFI. Breakfast was good (not great). Would stay there again if in the area.

Room Tip: I had bottom floor room and it was quiet though the hotel had a lot of guests.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SteveinGA
ChristinaGiles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your comments about our newly renovated rooms - we just finished this renovation last month and appreciate your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy the breakfast and would welcome any further comments you have to what could make it better. I do take guest feedback very seriously, as this is the only way we can ensure that we are a GREAT hotel guests love.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

WE been staying at this property for well over a decade- it's near family and was very reasonably
priced and was a Holiday Inn. It was not well cared for. It was taken over by a series of chic small groups and nicely upgraded over the years, and the price of course, increased some 70 %.
Holiday Inn Express just re bought (?) the property a few months ago. The staff is nice, but I see a few things that make me nervous. I'm a swimmer, and rain or shine I like to start my day in their heated pool/hot tube- never a problem. During our recent stay (Christmas) it rained most days and the pool was locked for "our safety" Hey- it's always wet around pools ! reign in your corporate lawyers.
Around the exterior of the reception area- purple lights. The decor has been subtle and sophisticated- what's with the purple ?
The rooms and especially the beds are comfy, though the heaters are old school and could use upgrade.
All in all, still a nice spot.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristinaGiles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for your continued stays with us and for taking the time to write a reveiw. Though we did close the pool for a few days near the holiday this was not due to rain - as you mentioned the pool area is always wet - this was due to small renovation project affecting the pool which deemed it unsafe for use during those few days. I do sincerely apologize that you were given in accurate information. I will asure that that has been addressed and will not happen again. Having said that - we have put over 3 million dollars into the property in the last three months to ensure the property is as new and fresh as ever - including new wallpaper, carperts, lighting, etc in the guest rooms, and outter upgrades including new patios, landscaping, and lighting. I am sorry to hear that you don't personally like the choice of lighting but the main purpose was to help the average traveler who does not know where we are located because as you know from years of traverling - the area at night is fairly secluded and a bit dark. I hope you have also had a chance to enjoy the large breakfast that has been added that now includes bacon, eggs, pancakes, biscuits/gravy, and cinnamon rolls in addition to the standard, cereal, toast, fruit, coffee, tea, and juice. I also would encourage you to take advantage of our Priority Club so that you can earn points for your stay - as an IHG hotel we are part of the largest hotel brand in the world and boast the best rewards program in the industry - points never expire and there are no blackout dates for starters. Please let me know when you are back in the area - I would love to have you as a guest again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mill Valley
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito
Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Mill Valley San Francisco Area? Share your experiences!