“Took a wrong turn and had a fantastic suprise!”
Review of Mountain Home Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mill Valley
Mountain Home Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Mill Valley B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2013

While trying to get to Muir Woods we took a wrong turn and ended up at the Mountain Home Inn on Mount Tamalpais. What a great gem to find! We decided to have lunch while overlooking a stunning view. The staff and food were great. It was a bit pricey but understandable. I recommend everyone visiting Muir Woods take the time to visit the other side of the range. The Mount Tamalpais drive was breathtaking and the view from the top was stunning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Wow, I had high expectations for my 5-year anniversary stay here, and they were well-exceeded! Both the rooms and the staff here are really, really exceptional.This place is way up in the mountainous redwoods, I mean waaaay up in nature! We got a late start from our home in SF, and arrived in the early afternoon to this cozy little inn. The desk host was showing another room, but Bryson came over from the bar and took care of our check-in. He gave us a free upgrade, but let us see both rooms first so we could compare them.

We wound up in the California Room (#1), which was decked out with a "raw" looking 4-post bed frame, wood fireplace all set up to use, oversize jacuzzi bathtub, and a view the peered out through a flock of redwoods with a little view of the hills of the North Bay. It was like living in the world's most upscale tree-house. Really large amount of space as well.

We went out later on for a celebratory anniversary drink, and were offered complimentary champagne! The bartender recommended we watch the sunset across the street from the hotel, which looks down into the valley of Muir Woods. It was like the end of a good romance movie. Then we headed back in, the sun not quite down yet, and mentioned we had delivery on the way. The person at the desk offered to receive it for us and sent us back out on a short but beautiful hike up the hill past the fire station. This was also just perfectly romantic.

The breakfast in the morning is very good for something included in the price. The best part isn't the food, its eating out on the deck and sipping coffee while you look down over a forest and all the little towns of Sausalito, Mill Valley, and out to San Francisco.

I used to work at a hotel in the North Bay, and know that hotels here are very expensive, whether they're amazing or mediocre. Honestly, this was worth the high price we paid for it. I could not have asked for better service, and the room was just what I wanted. My girlfriend hella loved it, too. Thanks to everyone at MHI who made this a really special stay for us.

Room Tip: While you can hike many places from here, don't expect this to be like downtown Mill Valley. The...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aregenerate
Reviewed May 20, 2013

If you are going to be in the San Francisco Bay Area during the month of June, take a day trip to THE MOUNTAIN PLAY on top of Mt Tam in Mill Valley. This year is it's 100 year celebration, performing a delightful version of the Music Man in the large stone amphitheatre on the mountain. Well organized, with shuttle busses to and from downtown Mill Valley, or a spectacular walk down the hill (6 1/2 miles) with outstanding views of SF Bay. For the past several years we have been stopping at the 4 mile mark and spending the night at the MOUNTAIN HOME INN, a charming little place with excellent views of its own. The inn has become an upscale destination for hikers, situated on Mt. Tam, and has a very fine restaurant with a fixed prixe menu (3-course @ $38/person.) A perfect day is a picnic at the Mountain Play, hike down the hill, and an overnight stay and dinner at the Mountain Home inn. Mill Valley is only a 15 minute drive from SF, and it is a charming town in its own rights. Check out the Mountain Play website for information about the play.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank MarinLin
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at Mountain View Inn last weekend and was underwhelmed. It came recommended by a Mill Valley resident, and I booked a room for two nights because it was convenient to where I needed to be. The staff was pleasant, and the meals (dinner one night, breakfast the next day) were good. But the room was in dire need of repair. The hair dryer was broken, the housekeeper took away my shampoo and didn't leave a replacement, and the bathroom tile was cracked. At the end of the day, chairs were dragged over the floor above my room, creating a noise I could do nothing about. Mountain View Inn has been around a long time and many reviews cite the same complaints that I have. Still, the accommodations remain average while the rates remain high. I don't understand it. I wouldn't stay there again until reviewers report that these issues have been fixed.

Room Tip: I was in Room #4. The bed was comfortable, but when I sat outside on the deck, diners on the upper l...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank margaret m
handcar, General Manager at Mountain Home Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

To Margaret Miller,
We are glad you were able to enjoy the food , the service and off course the view from your room deck.
At the same time, we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced , as well.
We wish you had brought them to our attention, so we could have resolved at least some of them during your stay.

We are continuously working on upgrading and refreshing the Mountain Home Inn, and
room #4, the room you stayed in, is scheduled to be re-tiled at the end of spring.

For a more quiet and secluded experience we recommend staying with us from Monday-Thursday.
Especially the winter nights in a fireplace room can be a great writers environment.

Thank you for staying at the Mountain Home Inn, and please thank your friend for recommending our hotel as well.
We hope you decide to stay with us again next time you are visiting from texas.
MHI Staff

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I wanted to be able to hike in the morning and night so was looking for a convenient location for lodging. Mountain Home Inn is located in a great spot and the food (breakfast complimentary and also had prix fixe dinner there) was quite tasty. The service was friendly and the bathroom actually opened up to the room so you can enjoy the view. Note that there are no TVs and you could hear your neighbors pretty easily through the walls. The furniture could be upgraded to look more modern but it is what it is. Overall great experience and would definitely consider coming back next time I'm in the Bay area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

After a nearly 20-hour travel from Finland to California and five wonderful but hectic days in San Francisco, we thoroughly enjoyed the peaceful and comfortable stay at Mountain Home Inn, its beautiful views and fresh air. Unfortunately we had time only for one night, we'd love to return one day and stay for a bit longer!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HannaHs48800
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Mountain Home Inn many times. The cons are that it is needs updating/renovating and is a little tricky to get to (that drive up Mt Tam through the fog is a little frightening but worth it). The pros are: great food, incredible views and very cozy rooms some of which have fireplaces and patios. The Muir Woods natl forest is literally across the street with trailheads steps away. The southern part of the winecountry is a 50 minute drive and Stinson beach is around the corner. We will be there again this week and can't wait!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Tiburon
Hotel Sausalito
Hotel Sausalito
#4 of 4 in Sausalito

Been to Mountain Home Inn? Share your experiences!