Mountain Home Inn
$119
$107
$110
Priceline
Mill Valley Inn(Mill Valley)
$289
Priceline
$183
BestWestern.com
Marin Suites Hotel(Corte Madera)
$175
Hotels.com
$239
$219
$147
All reviewsmuir woodsclose to homesmall dressercozy roomgreat place to get awaylocation location locationgreat location for hikingfree upgradesome tlcan overnight staysalmonsf bayincredible viewsseveral optionsoverlooking the baypaper thin wallsupper floor
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at Mountain View Inn last weekend and was underwhelmed. It came recommended by a Mill Valley resident, and I booked a room for two nights because it was convenient to where I needed to be. The staff was pleasant, and the meals (dinner one night, breakfast the next day) were good. But the room was in dire need of repair. The hair dryer was broken, the housekeeper took away my shampoo and didn't leave a replacement, and the bathroom tile was cracked. At the end of the day, chairs were dragged over the floor above my room, creating a noise I could do nothing about. Mountain View Inn has been around a long time and many reviews cite the same complaints that I have. Still, the accommodations remain average while the rates remain high. I don't understand it. I wouldn't stay there again until reviewers report that these issues have been fixed.

Room Tip: I was in Room #4. The bed was comfortable, but when I sat outside on the deck, diners on the upper level could see me.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank margaret m
handcar, General Manager at Mountain Home Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

To Margaret Miller,
We are glad you were able to enjoy the food , the service and off course the view from your room deck.
At the same time, we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced , as well.
We wish you had brought them to our attention, so we could have resolved at least some of them during your stay.

We are continuously working on upgrading and refreshing the Mountain Home Inn, and
room #4, the room you stayed in, is scheduled to be re-tiled at the end of spring.

For a more quiet and secluded experience we recommend staying with us from Monday-Thursday.
Especially the winter nights in a fireplace room can be a great writers environment.

Thank you for staying at the Mountain Home Inn, and please thank your friend for recommending our hotel as well.
We hope you decide to stay with us again next time you are visiting from texas.
MHI Staff

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I wanted to be able to hike in the morning and night so was looking for a convenient location for lodging. Mountain Home Inn is located in a great spot and the food (breakfast complimentary and also had prix fixe dinner there) was quite tasty. The service was friendly and the bathroom actually opened up to the room so you can enjoy the view. Note that there are no TVs and you could hear your neighbors pretty easily through the walls. The furniture could be upgraded to look more modern but it is what it is. Overall great experience and would definitely consider coming back next time I'm in the Bay area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

After a nearly 20-hour travel from Finland to California and five wonderful but hectic days in San Francisco, we thoroughly enjoyed the peaceful and comfortable stay at Mountain Home Inn, its beautiful views and fresh air. Unfortunately we had time only for one night, we'd love to return one day and stay for a bit longer!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HannaHs48800
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Mountain Home Inn many times. The cons are that it is needs updating/renovating and is a little tricky to get to (that drive up Mt Tam through the fog is a little frightening but worth it). The pros are: great food, incredible views and very cozy rooms some of which have fireplaces and patios. The Muir Woods natl forest is literally across the street with trailheads steps away. The southern part of the winecountry is a 50 minute drive and Stinson beach is around the corner. We will be there again this week and can't wait!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed at Mountain Home with my wife during Presidents weekend. It was a great get a way. Only 1/2 north of San Francisco and a totally different world. We were in room #2 with a beautiful view of the bay and the fog. The location is very unique, right on Mt Tam and a 4.5 mile hike down into Muir Woods. There are great outdoor activities at the front door, hiking and mtn biking. The rooms are a little rustic (this is not the 4 seasons) with wood burning fireplaces and no TVs. We had the priced fixed dinner at Mtn Home which was wonderful. The salmon was delicious. And in the morning there is a complementary cooked to order breakfast. If you are looking for a special place to stay in Marin County, I would recommend Mtn Home.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple