“Perfect intimate wedding reception”
Review of Mountain Home Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mill Valley
Mountain Home Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Mill Valley B&B and Inns
California
“Perfect intimate wedding reception”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had our wedding reception at the Mountain Home Inn and it couldn’t have been more perfect! We searched for a long time for a wedding venue, but really struggled to find the right combination of homey and sophisticated. The Mountain Home Inn ended up being the best possible fit and their event coordinator, Sarah Reed, made both the planning and the event itself incredibly smooth. As busy professionals, my wife and I really didn’t have a lot of time to attend to the details of our wedding, nor did we have the money for a wedding planner. Sarah really guided us through the process and helped us every step of the way, from recommending florists and photographers, and always making us feel at home. She actually made the process fun and convenient. Her creative ideas were really tailored to how we envisioned our wedding. Every time we came for a meeting we drank wonderful wine and beer and at our tasting all of the food was so delicious we had trouble deciding what to have at the wedding. On the day of the wedding, she handled many issues on the day of that could have derailed our event. She was so thoughtful – afterwards I heard from many friends and family about her attention to detail. We had a midnight snack and getting to spend the night at the venue and wake up to a fabulous brunch was the icing on the cake. We can’t say enough great things about our experience there!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rauscheck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Mountain Home Inn is ideally located for hiking the beautiful area. The views from the hotel are lovely. THe hotel is rather old and in need of a good scrubbing and a facelift, but it is reasonably comfortable. We visited in January and were the only guests, yet the GM called us and asked if we meant to eat at the restaurant, and stayed open to serve us. The restaurant is very good, and a good value. The rooms are named after local trails. This is a hiker's paradise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had never been to California and my wife was a small child the last time she was here. We wanted to see Muir Woods and Beach, Point Reyes Light House and the other beaches and sights on up north. A friend recommended The Mountain Home Inn as a perfect location for a home base to see the area north of San Francisco. After a hard day of sight seeing it was very relaxing to have a drink on the deck and enjoy the birds eye view over Mill Valley and then have a semi private gourmet meal in front of the fireplace. Each meal was a special treat and while the selections on the menu were limited we looked forward to trying each one and were never disappointed. The staff was very accommodating and anticipated our needs.

The room was very homey and sleeping in front of a real fire in the fireplace was the end to a perfect evening.

We always got up early and looked forward to having a different breakfast each morning. A big breakfast and then a walk across the street into Muir Woods to walk off the big breakfast started another perfect day.

We have been to California every year now for the past three years and the Mountain Home Inn is always one of our prime destinations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Pat K
Medina, Ohio
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I have stayed numerous times at the Mountain Home Inn while visiting our family in the San Francisco area. We have always enjoyed our visit at this quiet, laid back place while touring the local area. We love to drive down to Muir Beach for colorful California sunsets (a 15 minute drive from the inn) and looking at sea life if the tide is low. We often times will head north from the Mountain Home Inn along the coast to visit other areas along the coastline. As night fall approaches, we head back home to a wonderful meal (usually Salmon) prepared by their chef. If the weather permits, the balcony is a great place to eat so one can enjoy the sights of San Francisco lit up at night and smell the redwood faint aroma in the air. It is a perfect location to enjoy a wonderful meal. In the winter, we always get a room with a fireplace as we enjoy the additional warmth in the room at night. You always have a nice stack of wood to burn each night. If you did not eat enough the night before, the breakfasts are tremendous and very hearty (comes with your overnight stay). After eating breakfast, we usually walk across the street and head down a path to Muir Woods for some exercise and beautiful sights of the redwoods. If visiting the San Francisco area, the Mountain Home Inn is an excellent spot to stay for a few days to enjoy some of the area's beautiful sights and sounds of Marin county. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: There are rooms w/ jacuzzi tubs, fire places -- ask what is available!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We booked this at the last minute in the am on the day of. I spoke to Regina there and she was very helpful with getting me a great room and a great price since we were going on a Wednesday. I read some of the reviews here and almost canceled because some were saying the beds were really hard and a few other things. But decided what the hell it sounds like a cool place lets give it a try. I'm sooo glad I did.

We arrived and thought wow this place is great, its at the top of the mountain with a great view of the bay. We got to look at our room first before I checked in ROOM #2 I also looked at the suits just to see the difference. I deiced to stay with room 2, the only difference is they are just a little bigger but the view isn't as good cause they are on the lower floor and the trees block the view. Also not all rooms have decks or fireplaces. Rooms 2 has a fireplace and a large deck with chairs and a table its on the top floor. I don't know what these people were talking about with the beds, I sat on 4 different beds in there and they were all the same. VERY comfy and I am really picky about beds, I can't do hard beds or my back gets messed up. The bath tub is big and there's an opening to the room so you can be in it and see the view. I asked for extra firewood and had a really good fire all night. Didn't have any problems with the bathroom. There's no TV so bring your lap top and watch a movie on Netflix or iTunes. It's a really cute/cozy room and they provide you with lots of candles.

The breakfast was great and a good selection on the menu you can get anything you want and its included. You can have it sent to your room or eat on the top deck for an even better view above the trees. Very friendly staff. We went to the mur woods but didn't go hiking. Its only 20 from downtown so if you want a really serene romantic quiet place to stay this is it. I would for sure stay here again.

Room Tip: No all rooms have a fireplace and not all rooms have decks to sit on.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark B
Orlando, FL
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed at the Mountain Home Inn while hiking through Muir Woods. The Inn is on a hillside with really pretty views, but the property could use some updating. The room was big and comfortable, but there were cigarette ashes on the deck and cobwebs on the ceiling. The toilet would run at random times and the sink dripped. The carpet, especially on the stairs, needs a good cleaning. There was no TV as well and not much else to do in the area after a day of hiking. The restaurant had good food and the servers were nice, but the service was incredibly slow. I probably wouldn't stay there again until they have done some basic cleaning and maintenance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
handcar, General Manager at Mountain Home Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Mountain home inn.

Since your stay we have installed new carpet in the areas
you mentioned and beyond.
In addition our housekeeping staff has also been
improved, and they are working hard to give our guest the service they deserve.

We do not have TV’s in the rooms. We do have a great WIFI connection in all rooms and communal spaces. So our guest can can download movies, use Netflix or watch their favorite programs on line.

Again we thank you for your review, and we hope you will visit us at the Mountain Home Inn
next time you are in the area.

MHI Staff
Point Richmond, California
Reviewed July 29, 2012

love the Mountain Home Inn.

I have been there after a hike for a beer on the back deck. The view is spectactular, all pine trees and bay and east Bay hills. I have dined on killer salmon by a real deal wood fire on a romantic date -- the simple but kinda perfect wine list added to the ambiance. I have taken my infant, and now toddler for snacks (I had beer, she didn't) and she was right at home with relaxed hikers and locals who were also enjoying the day. And I've stayed in the rooms (whirl pool tub! fire place! view!) and slept incredibly well.

My fancy parents also love the place! And stay there whenever they visit. The love the food, the laid back staff and the nearby hikes and biking.

If you do have the chance to get breakfast, get the grits -- best in the county!

And for those who note the low stars for service -- I'm baffled. I've never had anything but friendly, professional, high-end service. The whole vibe is more laid back than SF high dining -- but that's one of the reasons why we go the Mountain Home Inn -- to get away (and above) from the hustle and bustle of down below

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a whirl pool tub.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Tiburon
Cavallo Point
Cavallo Point
#2 of 4 in Sausalito

Been to Mountain Home Inn? Share your experiences!