Mountain Home Inn
Tamalpais Motel(Mill Valley)
$107
$185
BestWestern.com
Marin Suites Hotel(Corte Madera)
$175
Official Website
$219
$147
Panama Hotel(San Rafael)
All reviewsmuir woodsclose to homesmall dressercozy roomgreat place to get awaylocation location locationgreat location for hikingfree upgradesome tlcan overnight staysalmonsf bayincredible viewsseveral optionsoverlooking the baypaper thin wallsupper floor
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I have stayed numerous times at the Mountain Home Inn while visiting our family in the San Francisco area. We have always enjoyed our visit at this quiet, laid back place while touring the local area. We love to drive down to Muir Beach for colorful California sunsets (a 15 minute drive from the inn) and looking at sea life if the tide is low. We often times will head north from the Mountain Home Inn along the coast to visit other areas along the coastline. As night fall approaches, we head back home to a wonderful meal (usually Salmon) prepared by their chef. If the weather permits, the balcony is a great place to eat so one can enjoy the sights of San Francisco lit up at night and smell the redwood faint aroma in the air. It is a perfect location to enjoy a wonderful meal. In the winter, we always get a room with a fireplace as we enjoy the additional warmth in the room at night. You always have a nice stack of wood to burn each night. If you did not eat enough the night before, the breakfasts are tremendous and very hearty (comes with your overnight stay). After eating breakfast, we usually walk across the street and head down a path to Muir Woods for some exercise and beautiful sights of the redwoods. If visiting the San Francisco area, the Mountain Home Inn is an excellent spot to stay for a few days to enjoy some of the area's beautiful sights and sounds of Marin county. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: There are rooms w/ jacuzzi tubs, fire places -- ask what is available!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We booked this at the last minute in the am on the day of. I spoke to Regina there and she was very helpful with getting me a great room and a great price since we were going on a Wednesday. I read some of the reviews here and almost canceled because some were saying the beds were really hard and a few other things. But decided what the hell it sounds like a cool place lets give it a try. I'm sooo glad I did.

We arrived and thought wow this place is great, its at the top of the mountain with a great view of the bay. We got to look at our room first before I checked in ROOM #2 I also looked at the suits just to see the difference. I deiced to stay with room 2, the only difference is they are just a little bigger but the view isn't as good cause they are on the lower floor and the trees block the view. Also not all rooms have decks or fireplaces. Rooms 2 has a fireplace and a large deck with chairs and a table its on the top floor. I don't know what these people were talking about with the beds, I sat on 4 different beds in there and they were all the same. VERY comfy and I am really picky about beds, I can't do hard beds or my back gets messed up. The bath tub is big and there's an opening to the room so you can be in it and see the view. I asked for extra firewood and had a really good fire all night. Didn't have any problems with the bathroom. There's no TV so bring your lap top and watch a movie on Netflix or iTunes. It's a really cute/cozy room and they provide you with lots of candles.

The breakfast was great and a good selection on the menu you can get anything you want and its included. You can have it sent to your room or eat on the top deck for an even better view above the trees. Very friendly staff. We went to the mur woods but didn't go hiking. Its only 20 from downtown so if you want a really serene romantic quiet place to stay this is it. I would for sure stay here again.

Room Tip: No all rooms have a fireplace and not all rooms have decks to sit on.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark B
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed at the Mountain Home Inn while hiking through Muir Woods. The Inn is on a hillside with really pretty views, but the property could use some updating. The room was big and comfortable, but there were cigarette ashes on the deck and cobwebs on the ceiling. The toilet would run at random times and the sink dripped. The carpet, especially on the stairs, needs a good cleaning. There was no TV as well and not much else to do in the area after a day of hiking. The restaurant had good food and the servers were nice, but the service was incredibly slow. I probably wouldn't stay there again until they have done some basic cleaning and maintenance.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
handcar, General Manager at Mountain Home Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for your review of the Mountain home inn.

Since your stay we have installed new carpet in the areas
you mentioned and beyond.
In addition our housekeeping staff has also been
improved, and they are working hard to give our guest the service they deserve.

We do not have TV’s in the rooms. We do have a great WIFI connection in all rooms and communal spaces. So our guest can can download movies, use Netflix or watch their favorite programs on line.

Again we thank you for your review, and we hope you will visit us at the Mountain Home Inn
next time you are in the area.

MHI Staff

Reviewed July 29, 2012

love the Mountain Home Inn.

I have been there after a hike for a beer on the back deck. The view is spectactular, all pine trees and bay and east Bay hills. I have dined on killer salmon by a real deal wood fire on a romantic date -- the simple but kinda perfect wine list added to the ambiance. I have taken my infant, and now toddler for snacks (I had beer, she didn't) and she was right at home with relaxed hikers and locals who were also enjoying the day. And I've stayed in the rooms (whirl pool tub! fire place! view!) and slept incredibly well.

My fancy parents also love the place! And stay there whenever they visit. The love the food, the laid back staff and the nearby hikes and biking.

If you do have the chance to get breakfast, get the grits -- best in the county!

And for those who note the low stars for service -- I'm baffled. I've never had anything but friendly, professional, high-end service. The whole vibe is more laid back than SF high dining -- but that's one of the reasons why we go the Mountain Home Inn -- to get away (and above) from the hustle and bustle of down below

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a whirl pool tub.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jen L
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I selected the Mountain Home Inn for a celebratory weekend with my fiancé. Perhaps my expectations were too high after reading the many wonderful reviews. To ensure a memorable stay I called prior to our reservation to specify the Canopy room and was told a bottle of champagne would be awaiting us to celebrate.

Upon arrival the weather was quite treacherous and we were informed there was no water due to a neighboring pipe break. We were offered separate accommodations but declined as we were looking forward to the Mountain Home Inn. We were offered a half empty bottle of wine consumed by other patrons then led to a different room than I had reserved. (There was no champagne as had been promised the day before). Having been our first time at the Mountain Home Inn I suspected there was just an inaccuracy in the room description. Upon checking out, however, the staff member asked if we changed rooms. Realizing my initial suspicions were correct (that we were given a separate room than I had booked) I inquired further. The staff member was even confused as to why our room was given away. I was told I should be happy I was saving money since the room we stayed in was cheaper than the one I reserved.

I contacted the inn after our trip but 1 year later I have yet to receive a response!! I am still in disbelief.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple